The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

I've just read #1 of the new Forever Evil series. Pretty good thus far, and definitely leaves you wanting to know more. Also, DC Universe vs Masters Of The Universe?!?

As a kid I'd have happily gave my right nut for that comic book series!

Agreed, it's a great premise and looking forward to it unfold. But I was really disappointed with 'Trinity War'. It was effectively a glorified setup to Forever Evil and at best fell massively flat at the end*.

It wouldn't bother me so much, but clearly this is a new strategy by DC. They did something not that long ago with Green Lantern. They hyped up 'The Third Army' event, but just as it begins to pick up, it suddenly ends and you realise it was a setup for the "real" mega event 'The First Lantern'.

*SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

With the exception of what happened to Cyborg at the end. That was just nasty.

Just received a copy of Batman: The Court Of Owls that I bought online. Had a flick through, is there a part when a couple of pages are upside down? Or have I got a copy with a printing error?

No it's not a misprint, it's supposed to be that way. That issue kinda turns round as you're reading it, you'll see when you get to it.

• Awards Moderator

Question for regular comics buyers:

I bought a couple of Marvel graphic novels this week, but I think I've done it all wrong. The first one was a Guardians Of The Galaxy omnibus (Cosmic Avengers is the subtitle), which I bought because I wanted to find out who they all were before the film comes out next year. Reading the synopsis of the book it sounded like it would serve as a handy introduction as to who was who, but after having read it, it was all about them getting back together after having done loads of stuff. I've still had a sense of all the characters but I admit I might have bought the wrong thing for what I wanted.

The other one was Age Of Ultron, which I bought after reading a bit of one of the issues in a comic book shop - thought it sounded cool. Now, on the back of the book it says it contains issues 1-10, so I figured it would start at the start... but it would seem that LOADS has happened before the book's even started.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Ultron's already destroyed all the cities and killed Thor and Hulk and The Thing, to begin with

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

So have I bought the wrong thing? Was there another series before this one where the story's actually supposed to start? Or is it one of these things that just picks up in the middle of the action? Or has all the other stuff happened over a course of lots of other series?

I'm not very good at this sort of thing.

I do that, every single time.

I've come to the conclusion that all graphic novels based on a long running franchise (as opposed to a standalone book, like a Watchmen or something) have quite a high level of 'knowledge presumption' at the outset.

Unless of course you have the will/time, to go back and read from the very first recorded story.

I always have to infer from context what they mean when a character references from the past.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
So have I bought the wrong thing? Was there another series before this one where the story's actually supposed to start? Or is it one of these things that just picks up in the middle of the action? Or has all the other stuff happened over a course of lots of other series?

Age of Ultron starts in the middle of the action. It's mostly straightforward, although I suspect the ending will confuse the shit out of you more than anything else. There's some good stuff in the story though.

• Awards Moderator

Age of Ultron starts in the middle of the action. It's mostly straightforward, although I suspect the ending will confuse the shit out of you more than anything else. There's some good stuff in the story though.

I really enjoyed the story, yeah; it was great. And yes, confusing ending too. Would be happy to have that explained to me! (which I'm quite used to - I think I learned the entire comic-book history of the X-Men without ever having to read one from walks home from the pub with one friend who liked to explain these things when he was drunk).

Was there a series that starts off the action? Like a pre-Age of Ultron?

• Paid Members
I really enjoyed the story, yeah; it was great. And yes, confusing ending too. Would be happy to have that explained to me! (which I'm quite used to - I think I learned the entire comic-book history of the X-Men without ever having to read one from walks home from the pub with one friend who liked to explain these things when he was drunk).

Was there a series that starts off the action? Like a pre-Age of Ultron?

No, there was no series that started it off. It deliberately threw you into the deep end.

Okay, the simple version of the ending: They broke time, so different alternate realities merged briefly. It is yet to be seen what will come of this (if anything) other than the introduction of Angela. Angela is a Neil Gaiman creation formerly of the Image universe that Gaiman won ownership of in a lawsuit and gave to Marvel.

• Paid Members
Oh cool! So that seems to be a standalone, but I had no idea it was on the way. Sweet. That'll tide me over and give me my fix!

Tommy Taylor and the Ship that Sank Twice is out now, by the way. I picked it up on Friday and it's absolutely beautiful. Probably my favourite thing from the series so far.

As far as I'm concerned, it's now the best Vertigo series since Sandman. It's been ridiculously good.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I've been watching the Marvel movies a fair bit this week and it got me thinking I've never really read any Hulk. Any recommendations for key must have TPBS?