Official Darts Thread

Dai

Because the BBC want to show it and pay for the privilege. Do you think they should simply not bother because the production values aren't that of Sky?

Are you suggesting that not being on TV would be more beneficial? Seriously?

Being on TV is not the be all & end all IMO. Have you seen UKW on Sky? That wrestling show benefits nobody, Even if they make a few quid (Don't think they do?) The venue is terrible & the "Wrestling" is worse.

Personally if i could not compete with what is deemed your closest competitor, Surely you have to ask yourself why? & what can i do to bridge the gap? How long have the BDO been playing second fiddle? Years! & yet there seems like no light at the end of the tunnel? How long is it since nearly every top player jumped ship due to their lack of ambition? & still years later i see no ambition to truly compete.

At least they get our License payers money, Which keeps Martin Adams in beer Eh? That funded his drunken interview, Which was a fantastic example of where they are going wrong. When was the last time you saw a Sky pundit or a dart "World" Champion under the influence when they are supposed to be doing their job?

Edited by britishwrestlinglegends

Without the BBC, even more of their players would jump ship.

It is a feeder league in many ways these days, but it is still helps the PDC. How many of their top players have come from the BDO? MVG is a great example.

The PDC do have their youth tour that helps nurture talent, but the BDO do a lot more up and down the country. They are a bit of a joke on the top end as the PDC have almost a monoply of the top 20, and their "world championship" of 32 players is far inferior to the last 32 of the PDC Worlds, but it still serves a purpose for reasons above.

Because the BBC want to show it and pay for the privilege. Do you think they should simply not bother because the production values aren't that of Sky?

Are you suggesting that not being on TV would be more beneficial? Seriously?

Being on TV is not the be all & end all IMO. Have you seen UKW on Sky? That wrestling show benefits nobody, Even if they make a few quid (Don't think they do?) The venue is terrible & the "Wrestling" is worse.

But we're talking about being on the BBC, a world renowned organisation, not an obscure channel tucked away on digital. That comparison doesn't work.

Personally if i could not compete with what is deemed your closest competitor, Surely you have to ask yourself why? & what can i do to bridge the gap? How long have the BDO been playing second fiddle? Years! & yet there seems like no light at the end of the tunnel? How long is it since nearly every top player jumped ship due to their lack of ambition? & still years later i see no ambition to truly compete.

I don't think "Competitor" is the right word. You're using wrestling as a comparison and it doesn't work. They aren't promotions, they are sports organisations. Although, the PDC would be closer to the wrestling analogy as it focuses on the individual. The BDO do not. Leagues from county to pub are affiliated to the BDO, that's why it is so important. Being on television is vital to that.

The standards, and indeed overall interest is slipping but that doesn't have anything to do with the standard of the production when they are the box. I'd say it is more a cultural change moving away from pubs. Local numbers in darts leagues have been falling for a number of years now.

At least they get our License payers money, Which keeps Martin Adams in beer Eh? That funded his drunken interview, Which was a fantastic example of where they are going wrong. When was the last time you saw a Sky pundit or a dart "World" Champion under the influence when they are supposed to be doing their job?

So? Phil Taylor was convicted of being a sex pest.

Was he committing this crime while being interviewed on TV? Adams drunken interview was! That was my point, A point you seemed have missed. :rolleyes:

No I didn't miss it, I just simply didn't give a fuck about it as it has no relevance whatsoever.

EDIT - Much like I didn't give a fuck when Taylor, Nicholson and Anderson were fined for swearing on TV, or when Kirk Shepherd was coked up to the eyeballs when he got to the final.

Edited by Keith Houchen

Was he committing this crime while being interviewed on TV? Adams drunken interview was! That was my point, A point you seemed have missed. :rolleyes:

No I didn't miss it, I just simply didn't give a fuck about it as it has no relevance whatsoever.

If it had "No relevance" why not ignore it, Rather than compare it to an incident that had nothing to do with being unprofessional at work?

EDIT - Much like I didn't give a fuck when Taylor, Nicholson and Anderson were fined for swearing on TV, or when Kirk Shepherd was coked up to the eyeballs when he got to the final.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said other than that, unless you mean it has no relevance to this debate and not in general.

It did matter when he is meant to be the head of the BDO, it was a shit example. I found it funny personally, but some were right to care. I have heard that about Kirk Shepherd, don't see much of him these days though.

Edited by jimufctna24

Yep, that's fair. He is meant to be the head of the organisation, you're right.

And yes, Taylor et al are at work when being unprofessional, otherwise they wouldn't have been reprimanded by the head of the organisation they are signed to. Also the people who attend PDC events are absolute arseholes, thus damaging "The Product". Does that mean it should be taken off the air? No, of course it fucking doesn't.

You think the BDO would benefit by not being on TV. I don't, be cause they wouldn't.

Also the people who attend PDC events are absolute arseholes, thus damaging "The Product". Does that mean it should be taken off the air? No, of course it fucking doesn't.

Agreed

I go the premier league every year and whilst I enjoy it, there is always at least 2 fights around us and some idiotic people about.

MVG played world class darts tonight, whilst Phil Taylor proved to be a world class cunt.

Not quite sure what Barney did other than try and raise his hand, he even tried to make amends at the end with the ugly little shit. Would Phil have been so gobby with Chris Mason a few years back? would he fuck Mason waited for hours for him to come and "see how big and brave he was" but Taylor never showed.

Great player the best of all time, but cunt of a man.

The final should be a cracker though, my heart says MVG but my head says Taylor. MVG still missed too many doubles, he should have beaten both Lewis and Wade more bigger margins.

MVG is going to spank Taylor. Barney and the crowd were getting to him tonight and the nerves were starting to show. He got lucky IMO that Barney left himself too much to do.

No need for the shit at the end, Barney seemed to be trying to be a good loser, raise his hand and have a chat but Taylor was having none of it.

• Paid Members

Those two legs from MVG were just amazing. I don't think I've ever rewound as much in darts. He is amazing, and its obvious why he's taken this long to fulfill his potential.. he actually looks like a generic darts player now.

Gutted Taylor won, even more so after the shit he did after the match. Barney started way too late but hopefully his little comeback will help him keep his confidence in 2013.

MVG is going to spank Taylor. Barney and the crowd were getting to him tonight and the nerves were starting to show. He got lucky IMO that Barney left himself too much to do.

No need for the shit at the end, Barney seemed to be trying to be a good loser, raise his hand and have a chat but Taylor was having none of it.

Also did you notice how long Taylor made Barney wait for a handshake, Then tried to avoid eye contact or a conversation? Made my theory about dart players being professional, Totally incorrect. That & when MVG hit the 9 darter, Wade totally no sold it.

• Paid Members
Not quite sure what Barney did other than try and raise his hand

To me, it looked like Taylor's issue was that Barneveld kept hold of his hand in an awkward way and tried to pull him back after the handshake - I'm no lip reader, but it looked to me like what Taylor said as he was pushing him away was "don't pull my fucking hand you cunt" or similar.

Total overreaction, and yes he is a grade-A prick, but you can sort of understand it given the adrenaline and the importance of his hands to his profession.