48 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Justice

Steve Justice

Does poos wrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm not a fan of any real genre of music, I'm more of a 'If I like the sound of it, I'll have it' kind of guy. Because of this my playlist ranges from Al Green to Arthur Brown, Bee Gees to the Fugees, Cypress Hill to Kenny Rogers, Soloman Burke to The Sugarhill Gang... you get the picture. I don't tend to download albums from any one artist(s), but I do download a lot of soundtracks. Some of my favourites are Road Trip, Saturday Night Fever, Harold & Kumar, Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back & Pulp Fiction. But I think my all time favourite has got to be Dirty Dancing (Ultimate edition). The film and it's more famous songs have probably been played to death over the years, but there are some real stand out tracks on this edition. Certainly some I would never have listened to or probably had the chance to hear elsewhere. Love Is Strange - Mickey & Sylvia Cry To Me - Solomon Burke These Arms Of Mine - Otis Redding Love Man - Otis Redding Wipeout - The Surfaris Do You Love Me - The Contours You?

#2 Wideload

Wideload

Curtain Jerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

I love the Great Expectations (Ethan Hawke one) soundtrack. Well worth hunting down.
Cocks.

#3 ajmcstyles

ajmcstyles

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

Heavy Rain Soundtrack is pretty nice, I quite enjoyed the entire soundtrack Also the video game Flower has a very nice chill out sound track.

Edited by ajmcstyles, 29 March 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#4 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Inter-Continental Champion

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,321 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Nice thread. I love soundtracks. There are too many great Blaxploitation soundtracks to name them all.. A few stand outs: Curtis Mayfield - Superfly Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street Blacula (can't remember who does that) Johnny Pate - Shaft in Africa James Brown - Black Caesar Lalo Schiffrin and Herbie Hancock have each done some great film (and TV in the case of Lalo) scores - Enter the Dragon Deathwish Bullitt Dirty Harry Giorgio Moroder is pretty ace. He did Scarface and Midnight Express. One soundtrack I've mentioned a bunch of times on here is the Omega Man. Brilliant score by Ron Grainer, though I've never seen the film. Oh, and of course the Top Gun soundtrack is still boss. Of soundtracks that are more like compilation albums or a series of collabos - I really like The Crow and Spawn soundtracks. The Beavis and Butthead do America soundtrack had some fantastic music on it. Umm. That'll probably do it for now.
Noted fantasist and indoor sunglasses wearer.

#5 Steve Justice

Steve Justice

Does poos wrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Nice thread. I love soundtracks.

There are too many great Blaxploitation soundtracks to name them all.. A few stand outs:

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
Blacula (can't remember who does that)
Johnny Pate - Shaft in Africa
James Brown - Black Caesar

Wonderful song.

Lalo Schiffrin and Herbie Hancock have each done some great film (and TV in the case of Lalo) scores -

Enter the Dragon
Deathwish
Bullitt
Dirty Harry

I love the Enter the Dragon theme. Also on my playlist.

Of soundtracks that are more like compilation albums or a series of collabos - I really like The Crow and Spawn soundtracks. The Beavis and Butthead do America soundtrack had some fantastic music on it.

Not a fan of The Crow's genre of music, but a massive fan of the film (my no. 1 film in fact) and had the soundtrack just out of pure love for the film. Some decent stuff on there. Burn by The Cure and It Can't Rain All The Time are pretty decent.

Ditto with B&BDA. Love Rollercoaster & Walk On Water have made my playlist too.

#6 Guy Bifkin

Guy Bifkin

Jobber

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Yeah love those Blaxploitation soundtracks, I’d say Isaac Hayes’ Shaft is one of the bestest also. A few other favourites from other genres would be: Purple Rain Saturday Night Fever The Graduate Easy Rider The Harder They Come The Big Lebowski Tarantino almost always comes up with the goods on his films.

#7 SpiritOfTheForest

SpiritOfTheForest

Curtain Jerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

I love the In Bruges soundtrack. It's so beautiful with lots of nice melancholic-sounding piano tunes. I'll often listen to it while I'm working or falling asleep. Also the Lord of the Rings soundrack - just amazing grand and epic music. As for games, my favourite soundtracks would be found in Brutal Legend, Medal of Honor and the Elder Scrolls games.
Posted Image

#8 Steve Justice

Steve Justice

Does poos wrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Yeah love those Blaxploitation soundtracks, I’d say Isaac Hayes’ Shaft is one of the bestest also. A few other favourites from other genres would be:

Purple Rain
Saturday Night Fever
The Graduate
Easy Rider
The Harder They Come
The Big Lebowski

Tarantino almost always comes up with the goods on his films.

Rodriguez too for that matter. From Dusk Till Dawn and Desperado have some great stuff on there. Los Lobos & Tarantula~

#9 Devon Malcolm

Devon Malcolm

Best In The Off-Topic World 2010 (with Frankie!) & 2011

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Lalo Schiffrin and Herbie Hancock have each done some great film (and TV in the case of Lalo) scores -

Enter the Dragon
Deathwish
Bullitt
Dirty Harry

Giorgio Moroder is pretty ace. He did Scarface and Midnight Express.

Lalo Schifrin is the man. Bullitt could be my favourite soundtrack ever. Just perfect for that film. Moroder was awesome, too.

#10 patiirc

patiirc

Sad Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

The Crow: City of Angels has a pretty sweet soundtrack for such a crap film. Tuvok, fucking Tuvok is your main villiain? Oh, okay then :( Anything compiled by/involving Graeme Revell is usually pretty good, though it's usually on duff films to boot :(

Usual Fayre such as, Transformers: The Movie Soundtrack and most things by Vince Di Cola (Rocky IV) and Stan Bush (Bloodsport, Kickboxer), get worthy mentions.

Also add

The Last of the Mohicans (Jones and Edelman)

Dragon The Bruce Lee Story (Edelman again)

American Beauty (Newman and various artists)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Tao/n Dun)- The Eternal Vow is mesmerising

Kelly's Heroes (That man, Schifrin again)

The Humanoid (Morricone) The main theme sounds a bit like The Mission, which is another Morricone Soundtrack that's ace

The Blues Brothers (Various)

Star Trek: First Contact (Goldsmith and Goldsmith)- Even if you dont like Star Trek, its a great soundtrack

From TV

Gunbuster (Various) Get it from Galbadia Hotel, if its still going a fantastic orchestral score with some J-pop riffs chucked in to boot

That'll do for now

Edited by patdfb, 29 March 2012 - 03:16 PM.

UKFF World Cup Fantasy Football Winner 2014
UKFF Championship Fantasy Football Winner 2010, 2011. 2nd 2012

#11 Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell

Inter-Continental Champion

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,321 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hey, speaking of Lalo Schiffrin.... I found this soundtrack for a mini series he did called Anno Domini in a charity shop recently. I'd never heard of this before, but it's alright. Not his best work, but still nice. He must have knocked out a bunch of other stufff like that for the BBC for shows that have long since been forgotten about. Anyone know of any good rarities?
Noted fantasist and indoor sunglasses wearer.

#12 Merzbow

Merzbow

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

Cowboy Bebop, i cant think of another TV show with a soundtrack that's as cool. Some genuinely great Jazz pieces and my personal fav during an amazing church scene, Rain.

Posted Image

#13 LaGoosh

LaGoosh

European Champion

• Paid Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

The soundtrack for Lost is fucking amazing. Definitely the best soundtrack of a TV show and perhaps movies too. So many themes and recoginisable moments that are changed and varied throughout the six seasons.

Also, two obvious ones Blade Runner and Star Wars.

#14 Chris B

Chris B

Mid Carder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

I love soundtrack albums. Great for writing to.

Some of my favourites:

The Godfather - Yeah, just brilliant. The one I have is a best-of trilogy CD.

The Dark Knight
Inception - both similar, but I finished my first book with the Dark Knight soundtrack on headphones, and I love the style of the music.

10 Things I Hate About You - mock all you want, it's fantastic. The soundtrack on that film was great.

Shaun of the Dead - Huge fun.

Sherlock - Surprisingly jaunty, but nice.

Interview with the Vampire - rather sordid memories to this one. Had to skip past the track that starts all loud and over the top as it was a mood killer.

Rocky Balboa: Best Of - Good one for the gym

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut - I still find it funny.

Sweeney Todd - one of the only musicals I've ever liked.

The Wicker Man - Lovely one when travelling.

If Tubular Bells counts, that's a good one too.
My twitter
POV, my first book came out recently. It's a SF thriller for just 99p.

#15 drew4primeminister

drew4primeminister

Jobber

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Nice thread. I love soundtracks.

There are too many great Blaxploitation soundtracks to name them all.. A few stand outs:

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
Blacula (can't remember who does that)
Johnny Pate - Shaft in Africa
James Brown - Black Caesar

Enter the Dragon
Deathwish
Bullitt
Dirty Harry

Giorgio Moroder is pretty ace. He did Scarface and Midnight Express.

One soundtrack I've mentioned a bunch of times on here is the Omega Man. Brilliant score by Ron Grainer, though I've never seen the film.

Oh, and of course the Top Gun soundtrack is still boss.

Of soundtracks that are more like compilation albums or a series of collabos - I really like The Crow and Spawn soundtracks. The Beavis and Butthead do America soundtrack had some fantastic music on it.

Umm. That'll probably do it for now.

Yes, Midnight Express has a brilliant soundtrack and would have to add Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence which is in a similar vein (bloody miserable!) and has David Sylvian singing the beautiful Forbidden Colours.

Would agree on the epic quality of Lord of the Rings and my favourite Tarantino is Kill Bill 1 - especially Bang Bang.

Don't think you can go far wrong with much of Danny Elfman's film music but I'll go for Nightmare before Christmas and Batman.

And a more recent like is Sucker Punch.