The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

• Paid Members

51tA5yf47sL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Only read through the first couple of chapters but it's an interesting read. The first chapter talks about his time as an apprentice at Lincoln City where they'd clean the boots, wash the first team players' kits and turn off the lights at the end of a shift and making his debut under Keith Alexander. Looknig forward to looking through the rest of it.

• Paid Members

Only read through the first couple of chapters but it's an interesting read. The first chapter talks about his time as an apprentice at Lincoln City where they'd clean the boots, wash the first team players' kits and turn off the lights at the end of a shift and making his debut under Keith Alexander. Looknig forward to looking through the rest of it.

No homo.

• Paid Members
Wouldn't mind a read of that myself, Nicko. He is still fondly thought of by Cov City fans. Although I do hope Professor Huck had some help with the big words.

He speaks very highly of the Coventry fans himself. You can actually buy a different cover of him playing for Coventry. That goal against Man United was something else!

I remember in a discussion about the film Zodiac, some people on here were talking about having read some of the books written about the subject. Just wondering on what people would recommend (Have just watched the film for third time and it is just as good as I remember, possibly my favorite Fincher film and the documentary about the killings I watched was really good).

I remember in a discussion about the film Zodiac, some people on here were talking about having read some of the books written about the subject. Just wondering on what people would recommend (Have just watched the film for third time and it is just as good as I remember, possibly my favorite Fincher film and the documentary about the killings I watched was really good).

I've only ever read the Zodiac book thats by Robert Graysmith himself, for days I was just as obsessed about it as he is in the film, haven't read any other books about it though, but yeah get the one written by Graysmith, its prob all you need.

• 1 month later...

junky.jpg

An amazing wordsmith without being overly complex, one of the few books recently that i couldn't put down. Tough subject matter to get right but being semi-autobiographical means he can call on his own life events and give genuine details that an outsider might not.

junky.jpg

An amazing wordsmith without being overly complex, one of the few books recently that i couldn't put down. Tough subject matter to get right but being semi-autobiographical means he can call on his own life events and give genuine details that an outsider might not.

Couldn't agree more,just finished Naked Lunch and I've just been blown away by the man.His sons books were very sweet also,especially speed.

junky.jpg

Completely unneccessary piece of information, but the guy who does the introduction to that book, Oliver Harris, is my tutor at University.

• Paid Members

I'm pretty much to the end of this now, and although it's been a decent read, I didn't think it to be anything amazing. Huckerby has always struck me as quite a private bloke, and it comes across here. Everything has the feel of a whistle-stop, and there's nothing really about his life outside football - just the odd throwaway line like "me & Lindsay were married by this stage". or "the boys were now two and four". I of course respect that privacy, but compared to Bryan Gunn's book (the only other football autobiography I can recall reading), there's much less detail - Gunny tells quite a few stories about his courtship with his wife, the birth & childhood of his kids, babysitting Darren Ferguson when he was at Aberdeen, and of course the tragedy of losing his daughter.

Which brings me to the other thing - while I have great repect for Hucks and his career, and particularly the kickstart he helped give the club I love, I have to question "Through adversity to great heights" - both the title and the tattoo. Unless there's something private he's not telling us, the worst adversity he seems to have gone through is being a bench player at big (at the time, Leeds fans...) clubs and not feeling he was earning the massive wages they were paying him.

All that said, I have felt it a worthwhile read, and particularly enjoyed the parts where he tactfully avoids calling Glenn Roeder a cunt, although you know he is, and calling the likes of Mark Fotheringham shit, although you know he is.

Edited by Statto

• 1 month later...

200px-The_Fault_in_Our_Stars.jpg

I've just finished reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It was recommended to me by a friend; we're both starting teacher training next year and she is compiling a list of books that would interest young adults, so I've started doing the same. From Wiki:

The Fault in Our Stars is the fourth solo novel by author John Green, in which a sixteen-year-old cancer patient named Hazel is forced by her parents to attend a support group, where she meets and falls in love with the seventeen-year-old Augustus, an ex-basketball player and amputee.

If you've read any of John Green's other novels, it's quite similar but he seems to have hit the motherload here. I am not one for becoming emotional when watching a film or reading a book, but this is really powerful. In essence, it is pretty much a romance story. I don't usually go for that kind of thing at all but the two young characters are extremely likeable and human. There are bits where it verges on cheesy but it's a heartbreaker. Think 'My Girl' with terminally ill teenagers. I'd recommend this. Fox have apparently acquired the rights to make it into a film, which will no doubt be Oscar weepy fare.