Jump to content

The 'Currently Reading' Thread.


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I've had Palo Alto in my hands so many times but something has always stopped me buying it. Fuck knows why.

 

Anyone read 'Submarine'? Its well worth a read even if you've seen the equally brilliant film.

Edited by GalaxyV.2
Posted

Just starting to read George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London having read it once many years ago. It's a lot different to Animal Farm and 1984 both of which I didn't really take to. Having said that, the film of 1984 (with the incredibly talented John Hurt) is a classic. It's funny how sometimes films can enhance a novel when the norm is, for me, usually the other way round. Sorry :offtopic: !!

  • Moderators
Posted

I've had that sat around on my "to read" pile shelf for ages now, but haven't got around to it yet. I am excited about having a bookshelf now, and having all the books staring at me when I walk in the room is a nice advertisement to remind me to read more so I can work through all the unread stuff.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I've gone a bit mad recently and taken advantage of WH SMiths 3 for 2 offer and spent a shit load on books.

 

What I've read in the past few weeks (all have been really really good):

 

Breakfast At Tiffanys

A Clockwork Orange

Brighton Rock

The Hunger Games

 

On the "to read" pile:

 

Lolita

To Kill A Mocking Bird

The Help

Fever by JMG Le Clezio

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King

And the latest two Game Of Thrones books.

Edited by LaGoosh
Posted
I've gone a bit mad recently and taken advantage of WH SMiths 3 for 2 offer and spent a shit load on books.

 

What I've read in the past few weeks (all have been really really good):

 

Breakfast At Tiffanys

A Clockwork Orange

Brighton Rock

The Hunger Games

 

On the "to read" pile:

 

Lolita

To Kill A Mocking Bird

The Help

Fever by JMG Le Clezio

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King

And the latest two Game Of Thrones books.

Dreamcatcher is excellent but my favourite Stephen King by a long way is Insomnia.

  • Paid Members
Posted
]

Try "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It's not funny, but unusual and dark.

 

I wanted to read that and I'm positive it's the sort of thing I'm looking for but I already saw the movie and that puts me off.

 

I guess Generation X or Microserfs would be a good place to start, and they're pretty likely to have those ones in the library.

 

Chest, they actually didn't have a single Coupland book at my local library, what's up with that?

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
Dreamcatcher is excellent but my favourite Stephen King by a long way is Insomnia.

 

Really? I thought it was okay, but if it wasn't for The Dark Tower references I think it'd probably be the weakest King book I've read (that or Bag Of Bones). The first half is very slow and boring and was nearly the first time I gave up on a Stephen King book.

 

Not including The Dark Tower series I would say his best work is either Salem's Lot or It

Edited by LaGoosh
  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm trying to think of the last thing I read which wasn't academia related.... Adrian Bell's "Courdroy" was pretty good. A true account of a city kid in the 20's who gets apprenticed to his uncle's farm. He starts out not knowing shit about country life and ends up buying his own farm at the end of the book. There are two sequels to it; niether of which I've had time to read = fail.

 

9780140290707.jpg

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
Dreamcatcher is excellent but my favourite Stephen King by a long way is Insomnia.

 

Really? I thought it was okay, but if it wasn't for The Dark Tower references I think it'd probably be the weakest King book I've read (that or Bag Of Bones). The first half is very slow and boring and was nearly the first time I gave up on a Stephen King book.

 

Not including The Dark Tower series I would say his best work is either Salem's Lot or It

 

I'd go for The Stand as my favourite King. Thought Carrie was excellent too, if not quite as polished.

  • Paid Members
Posted
I've gone a bit mad recently and taken advantage of WH SMiths 3 for 2 offer and spent a shit load on books.

 

What I've read in the past few weeks (all have been really really good):

 

Breakfast At Tiffanys

A Clockwork Orange

Brighton Rock

The Hunger Games

 

Really? I was quite disappointed with The Hunger Games. I liked the concept and there was nothing offensively bad in there but the characters were just a bit shit and some of the plot points really contrived. Just not as good as I was expecting.

 

It was also really really short. I got through all three books in just a few days and that was largely from reading when I was on the bus etc.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I suppose I thought it was really good for what it was. It's an adventure story for teenage girls. I wasn't expecting Cormac McCarthy.

 

There is nothing really original in it at all but it moves along at a quick pace and keeps you interested and you can read the whole thing in about 3 hours.

  • Paid Members
Posted
I suppose I thought it was really good for what it was. It's an adventure story for teenage girls. I wasn't expecting Cormac McCarthy.

 

There is nothing really original in it at all but it moves along at a quick pace and keeps you interested and you can read the whole thing in about 3 hours.

 

Aye. I can't really argue with that in all fairness.

 

It was sort of an impulse buy for me after seeing the Trailer for the film. Was quite surprised when I realised it was in the children's section of the Kindle Store.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...