Jump to content

The 'Currently Reading' Thread.


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Fair enough if no one replies this, you don't owe me anything but I'd like to start reading more fiction and I don't know where to start (basically I've already read all the graphic novels at the library and need something new)

Can someone recommend me a novel? I want something kind of unusual and funny, like a coen brothers story kind of vibe, but something common/old enough that they'll probably have it at the library. Preferably something from the last 30 odd years too, the more unexpectedly cooler the better.

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Have you tried reading any books by comic book authors? That might be a good place to start...

 

Read some Neil Gaiman perhaps... Warren Ellis's novel Crooked Little Vein was good fun.

 

Also, not a comic book author, but I think you would probably like some Douglas Coupland. My favourite Canadian author!

Edited by Chest Rockwell
  • Paid Members
Posted
Have you tried reading any books by comic book authors? That might be a good place to start...

 

Read some Neil Gaiman perhaps... Warren Ellis's novel Crooked Little Vein was good fun.

 

Also, not a comic book author, but I think you would probably like some Douglas Coupland. My favourite Canadian author!

 

Cheers Chest, I read American Gods by Gaiman years ago and liked it,

 

I've heard Coupland's name but never read any of his stuff and he's from Vancuver so he must be cool, I'll see what they have at the library, any particular recommendations?

  • Paid Members
Posted

Cheers, I read Catch 22 (I've read quite a few "classics") it was really good. Looking for stuff that might be a bit more under the radar.

 

Anyone else read any Kinky Friedman? I went through a phase of reading a few of his books and they were good fun.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I can recommend The Ask, and most definitely Homeland, by Sam Lipsyte. Also, Jude: Level One and Jude in London, and not just because I typeset them - Julian Gough is a tricksy little debbil, and his elaborate knob gags really pay off.

Posted

I started reading Snow Crash earlier. Compared to the A Song of Ice and Fire which I've been reading for months, it zips along and is a lot more fun to read but the present tense writing is really weird. It's not exactly putting me off but it seems like the only book I've ever read to do it, so it stands out.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
Fair enough if no one replies this, you don't owe me anything but I'd like to start reading more fiction and I don't know where to start (basically I've already read all the graphic novels at the library and need something new)

Can someone recommend me a novel? I want something kind of unusual and funny, like a coen brothers story kind of vibe, but something common/old enough that they'll probably have it at the library. Preferably something from the last 30 odd years too, the more unexpectedly cooler the better.

 

Try "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It's not funny, but unusual and dark.

Edited by SiMania
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...