Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Try banging the back gently, where the fan is. You could also hoover the dust out of it. It does sound fan related. is it noisy? The fan or processor?

It doesn't sound noisy (unless I haven't noticed). I'll leave it off for a couple of hours to let it cool down but hoovering could work. This same laptop had something wrong with the processor in the past (can't remember what exactly)... The repair man told me not to play games on it in the future. Did I listen? :/

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best advice I can give is make sure you back everything up now, because that sucker's on its way out.

It appears to have been on its way out for nearly two years. I could have bought a new one for the amount I've spent on repairs on it. I don't think I'm going to be able to get it stay on for long enough to back everything up so its a bit of a nightmare.

Cheers guys. If it is well and truly knackered this time then I'll just have to buy a new one as I'm not spending anymore on repairs for it. Am I right in thinking you can get a relatively good machine for about £200 these days? I'll probably wait until the January sales and give myself a £250 budget (finance depending).

EDIT: Got it on long enough to create a restore point so that's something. Shut it down as soon as I finished so I'm guessing it may have just been severely overheated earlier. May attempt to do a big back up at some point.

Sam, I know it's a little more than you mentioned in your post but I got a Lenovo Z50 earlier this year and I swear by it. It's a fantastic piece of kit. Just Googled it and it's going for about £350 so you might be able to get it under £300 after Christmas. It runs like a dream, looks nice and I can run a load of programmes at once without it slowing down much, including Photoshop/Illustrator etc.

I've had two blue screens of death but I'm putting that down to something on Windows 10 as I've not installed anything else since and it didn't have before I upgraded to W10.

Not sure whether it still does but it came with a free year of Office 365 and 3 month's free Google music streaming.

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z50/#tab-features

Are DVD's on the way out? I've got about 700 of the things and I've been quite tempted for a while to trade them all into CEX to start from scratch collecting Blu Rays. I know in reality it's digital copies taking over but much like books and CD's I much prefer to have the physical copy. I have a few Blu Rays already and love the picture quality of certain films, however on some older films I've not seen the fuss. I can't see them stopping producing DVD's anytime soon but seeing as Blu Ray's are nowhere near as expensive anymore I thought it may be time to jump on the bandwagon.

Archived