Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

I think MPDTT is rare and different on here because he loves wrestling and if he doesn’t like something he stops watching it instead of moaning about it. It’s not often there is someone accentuating the positive instead of focusing on the negative, which most of us do. 

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I appreciate the write-up @MPDTT. I understand that you don't want to chat about WWE, but have no fear in discussing the negatives of something as well as the positives. Discussion like that actually brings more attention to this thread and ROH in general, and will also stop people from ignoring your posts all together. No one likes a shill at the end of day, and singing the praises of a company with as much buzz as Kris Marshall comes across as rather phoney,

Personally, I think ROH are stagnant and have only gotten milestones like MSG because of the NJPW connection, booking their biggest shows during WresleMania weekend and some air of name value, so I'm really interested to see how they progress from here now that they might be losing a lot of key people.

They've quickly signed up some names (really weird picks, but promising names never the less), now they have to work on their image problem. The Beer City Bruisers and Brian Milonas' and Matt Tavens and Silas Youngs and fucking Bully Rays need to be shown the door, right now. The fact that you nominated Flip Gordan as 'Best New Talent' (Flip debuted in April '17) highlights their issues with talent scouting and their struggle to keep people on-board.

Also, the Honor Club service needs a lot more classic content uploaded in order to entice lapsed fans like myself and the booking needs to be more dynamic and needs to feel less like an exercise in mediocrity.

At the end of the day, ticket sales and sparse crowd reactions at live shows are really telling and they need to react now seeing as AEW are right around the corner with Cody, The Bucks, Omega (maybe?) and Hagman at the helm. The ROH brand on it's own won't be enough considering all the growing competition out there and I really want ROH to succeed in today's modern wrestling market.

Feedback is a gift.....point well made and taken on board. 

I have not personally found ROH stagnant - the opposite in fact. The company largely is the reason I fell in love with pro wrestling again after several years of not giving a shit since TNA went to pot. But that said, how much of that was due to The Elite? Time will tell on that one now they are gone from Ring of Honor. On the other hand HonorClub has been a massively positive shift for ROH and regardless of the Elite. The company has a history of reinventing itself when stars leave and I think they will continue to do so. The link to NJPW is crucial though....

I disagree on Bully Ray and Matt Taven though. Bully Ray is an amazing heal who can get people over. He did a great job in his programme with Flip Gordon. Keep him around if he is going to continue to put over younger talent. Matt Taven is awesome and I think we will see great things from him next year.

2019 is going to be a fascinating year in wrestling.....

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think MPDTT is rare and different on here because he loves wrestling and if he doesn’t like something he stops watching it instead of moaning about it. It’s not often there is someone accentuating the positive instead of focusing on the negative, which most of us do. 

Do you work for MPDTT?

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I find people who always chat about the positives to be incredibly irritating at best and incredibly fake at worst. Ignoring the bad stuff adds nothing to conversation whilst simultaneously sucking it dry. Like people who'll say "Hey, it's just a movie, turn your brain off and just enjoy it!" as a way to excuse horrible film making.

I LOVE wrestling and I stopped watching WWE because there's way too much awful dirge for me to truly commit anymore, but that doesn't mean I unconditionally love the promotions that I do follow. I'll harp on about the great stuff and I'll point out what I think is bad as both topics are just as fun to discuss . Fight Club Pro holds a special place in my heart but I can harp on for ages about stuff that has bothered me about them or what I think they can do better. It's great to take the good with the bad, it's only when the bad outweighs the good do you drop the product entirely and find something else.

There's a guy on Twitter who constantly praises New Japan and won't hear a bad thing said against it (no, not Meltzer) and he received a lot of flack for his stance and rightly so. If you act like everything is amazing whilst ignoring everything else, you come across more like an annoying fan boy type rather than a someone you can actually connect and have a good chat with. 

But then again, this is how I conduct relationships with people and I still have the same friends I did when I was 20, so I'm probably in the minority. However, I'm not going to grin my teeth and bare it whilst someone at the pub goes on about how great the Justice League movie actually is ...

20 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I find people who always chat about the positives to be incredibly irritating at best and incredibly fake at worst. Ignoring the bad stuff adds nothing to conversation whilst simultaneously sucking it dry. Like people who'll say "Hey, it's just a movie, turn your brain off and just enjoy it!" as a way to excuse horrible film making.

I LOVE wrestling and I stopped watching WWE because there's way too much awful dirge for me to truly commit anymore, but that doesn't mean I unconditionally love the promotions that I do follow. I'll harp on about the great stuff and I'll point out what I think is bad as both topics are just as fun to discuss . Fight Club Pro holds a special place in my heart but I can harp on for ages about stuff that has bothered me about them or what I think they can do better. It's great to take the good with the bad, it's only when the bad outweighs the good do you drop the product entirely and find something else.

There's a guy on Twitter who constantly praises New Japan and won't hear a bad thing said against it (no, not Meltzer) and he received a lot of flack for his stance and rightly so. If you act like everything is amazing whilst ignoring everything else, you come across more like an annoying fan boy type rather than a someone you can actually connect and have a good chat with. 

But then again, this is how I conduct relationships with people and I still have the same friends I did when I was 20, so I'm probably in the minority. However, I'm not going to grin my teeth and bare it whilst someone at the pub goes on about how great the Justice League movie actually is ...

That was a terrible movie....

24 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I find people who always chat about the positives to be incredibly irritating at best and incredibly fake at worst.

I'll take irritating....if I have a choice :)

I'm reflecting on this discussion and Keith is right about me. If I get bored of a product, I move on to something else.

Its a shame that for the majority of wrasslin fans today, the lack of perceived choice means we do tend to complain about a bad product, but don't have the choice to switch over to a WCW or a ECW or a TNA (when it was good prior to 2010). In short, that's why WWEs product stinks - they know the fans will complain, but keep coming back. I'd really like to see AEW succeed - WWE needs competition a credible alternative to give the fans the power to vote with their feet.

Wouldn't it be great if the majority of fans felt that same passion for a product the way it was in the late 90s?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

I'll take irritating....if I have a choice :)

Ha, that wasn't directly aimed at you, i'm just talking in general. 

3 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Wouldn't it be great if the majority of fans felt that same passion for a product the way it was in the late 90s?

See, I understand having passion for a product, but 'passion' shouldn't blind you to any negatives. I think it's important to highlight everything that matters, good and bad. For example, I LOVED Spring Break II, probably the most fun I've ever had at a wrestling show, but I still have issues with the presentation and the structure of the card that I chatted about with people. 

I’ll disagree on wwe needing competition. Monday night wars has left this “competition” and “ratings” obsession that bleed into very wrestling conversation eventually. It just needs to be its own thing and not worry about what wwe is up to. Walking dead and game of thrones exist without bothering about the other. Time wrestling followed suit and left the thirst for adversity from its fans in the past 

30 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

The only way this would happen is if the product was the way it was in the late 90s.  And therein lies the rub, the product/business has evolved and a lot of fans haven't  It's Star Wars syndrome, entitled people wanting something to be written for them like it was years ago and not for new fans.  And like Star Wars, they'll keep watching and complaining.

Tag team of the year  is the briscoes....    Singles wrestler of the year Jay leathal... Feud of the year Cody vs Omega.......      I think we're gonna get marty scurll World title run in the next 6 months that's if he stays where he is... On a personal note I would like to see a Silas Young world title run in the  next 12-18 months he's very underrated 

I think Taven has been fantastic since he lost his hair and i'm more than ready for a proper title reign, which however I could see being held off on for another year maybe now he has his fake belt. 

Cobb as TV champ was a perfectly fine choice. Way too early to turn him into Samoa Joe 2.0. Gives him plenty of opportunity to smash through the undercard and develop a bit more and way better than another Kenny King/Silas Young or even Scurll reign.

Scurll seems a bit more likely to dethrone Lethal at this point but they could do a lot worse than throwing a curveball champ in their. One of the new guys (although mainly Bandido) or someone (Japanese!) from New Japan.

I've seen a few big shows but I've existed mainly on the TV product and it ticks along fine for me. Nice easy viewing. Sort out that womens division though. Klein is the best of a shoddy bunch.

32 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

giphy.gif

You may think it's funny but I would like him to get a run with it even if only for a few months... If Chris Daniels can be world champ no reason why flip or Silas or one of the kingdom guys with the right story line or feud and build up couldn't be champ

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, kidzero said:

You may think it's funny but I would like him to get a run with it even if only for a few months... If Chris Daniels can be world champ no reason why flip or Silas or one of the kingdom guys with the right story line or feud and build up couldn't be champ

Hey, I'm not going to argue with anyone comparing Christopher Daniels to Silas fucking Young. Woof.