Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

I think it was Meltzer the other day, who said the deal Marty was offered by ROH was for wwe money and less dates. And able to work nwa as well. Fair play to him rinsing what’s left of the sinking ship. He’ll be world champ by mania weekend. 

Says a lot about AEW and his old mates if he’d rather stay at that shit show of a company. 

• Paid Members

Marty running the gaff is a million times more interesting than if he was just staying with ROH, doing the same thing, and they continued to just exist, with no buzz whatsoever. Hopefully he can turn things around. It beggars belief something hadn’t been done sooner. The day after Madison Square Garden heads should’ve rolled.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Says a lot about AEW and his old mates if he’d rather stay at that shit show of a company. 

Mainly says they didn't offer as good a deal. This is pretty much bulletproof for him - if he can rescue the company, his stock goes way up. If he can't, he gets a nice wad of cash, some good experience, and doesn't lose any value to AEW.

2 hours ago, boyfriend said:

This possibly should be in the Mania thread but have ROH no plans to run Wrestlemania weekend this year?

Have they really fallen off a cliff, way behind sorry!

https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/roh-supercard-honor-set-april-4-lakeland-tickets-sale-next-week

Only just announced. 

I’m the same, had no interest in the company at all this year even, shifted all of my watching to AEW. Marty being given the book and the new talent they have signed has caught my interest again. Best way to watch it? 

5 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Fite app has tv episodes for free. Not sure if they upload the latest one the day after or a week after its aired though. And you can order ppvs on there too. 

Ah I see that. thanks. 

is HonorClub worth it? What sort of archive footage do they have available? I used to have the full collection 2002-2015 until I sold it all to Mark Sloan. I see they don’t even release all shows on DVD anymore. Are the live events worth it? Or just TV and PPVs? 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Only_The_Strong_Survive said:

Ah I see that. thanks. 

is HonorClub worth it? What sort of archive footage do they have available? I used to have the full collection 2002-2015 until I sold it all to Mark Sloan. I see they don’t even release all shows on DVD anymore. Are the live events worth it? Or just TV and PPVs? 

If you're the into nostalgia-era of ROH (2002-2004) and the golden-era of ROH (2004-2007), you're not going to find much. Last time I checked it was a few shows and compilations, but that's it.

In terms of the modern ROH product, it's just there filling TV time. The in-ring work is bang-average by modern standards but the storylines and angles are usually complete drivel, and half the roster is filled with schmucks. You hardly see their shows being talked about online because they just exist to fill TV time.

If you're into the good side of the roster, and can ignore the woeful stories, then good luck getting around ROH's terrible production values. Yep, they've got a nice ring and set, but you'll find that either a) the crowd is dead, b) the crowd aren't miked up properly, c) The commentary volume is way, way above the crowd audio track or, c) All three. It's an awful viewing experience. 

Maybe Scurll can take action and improve the product? Who knows. But they can't do any worse then where they are now (well, they could fold and that could be worse, I guess). For me, they need to hit the production aspect hard and go back to basics on the angles, so I can at least enjoy the crop of solid lads that they do use.

The more I see Scurll and the Elite lads drifting apart, the more I'm convinced that the story of the Elite being pissed off at Marty because his match with Okada at All In ran over, meaning the Bucks didn't have as much time as they would've liked for their main event. If anything, the egos and echo chambers we've seen Omega et al living in the past few months would absolutely add credibility to this. Sounds like the exact type of pointless shit they'd be up in arms about.

Fair fucks to Marty. If he's on good money, working very few ROH dates, can keep his NJPW relationship going and work other indies (presumably NWA due to the fact Aldis is still cropping up) on top of getting to Kevin Nash the whole company, he's had ROH over a bit of a barrel there hasn't he?

Edited by AdamTH17

2 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

The more I see Scurll and the Elite lads drifting apart, the more I'm convinced that the story of the Elite being pissed off at Marty because his match with Okada at All In ran over, meaning the Bucks didn't have as much time as they would've liked for their main event. If anything, the egos and echo chambers we've seen Omega et al living in the past few months would absolutely add credibility to this. Sounds like the exact type of pointless shit they'd be up in arms about.

I think there's certainly something because if AEW really wanted him, and he really wanted to be there, then he would have been there.
AEW can afford anyone they want - and you can't tell me they will throw money at Jimmy fucking Havoc and Joey frickin' Janella yet wouldn't give Scurll exactly what he wanted. 'You want a VP position? Cool. We hand those out like Tic-Tac's anyway. Multi year, fat money contract? No problem, the money mark's a multi billionaire. Control over your character? Hey, everyone does what they want here!'

Still can’t believe people think that Okada match went twelve mins over itself, you never seen an Okada match and they length they go before? Guy might just want a challenge of his own, and he gets to keep working with his real life best mate in Aldis 

19 minutes ago, Louch said:

Still can’t believe people think that Okada match went twelve mins over itself, you never seen an Okada match and they length they go before? Guy might just want a challenge of his own, and he gets to keep working with his real life best mate in Aldis 

I've no doubt that they've seen an Okada match before, but it's widely known that the six-man main event had a lot of time cut from it as a consequence of other stuff running over. It's also been frequently reported Okada/Marty went considerably over their time. I understand there's a stigma surrounding Okada singles matches having to go long, but in this instance I can buy it. Okada, the ace of New Japan against a Junior, not in a New Japan setting? I don't see that going 26 minutes anywhere else, or being allocated that time.

Again, I'm not saying it's the likely option, but after seeing how the Elite chaps have dealt with things not going their way, it's not exactly an unbelievable story there could be a bit of friction which has contributed to this.

Edited by AdamTH17