Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

On 12/21/2018 at 7:52 AM, BrodyGraham said:

I really rate Haskins. Everything that lad does looks like it has intent and malice behind it and I'm frankly surprised he hasn't been picked up sooner.

I saw him on Honor United, but my favourite Haskins match I've seen live was the death match with Jimmy Havoc at Ally Pally 

Haskins is good, yeah. He’s got a style where you’re guaranteed a solid match out of him. It’s a shame that he got injured when he did, because he was properly getting momentum behind him after winning the PROGRESS Championship, he was winning titles everywhere, and then in his absence was when the BSS trio started getting around everywhere and he got shafted a bit in the booking of PROGRESS. It’s very obvious they’ve got nothing for him at the moment, and it’s been that way for a solid while.

His promos are dreadful, but if they stick a mouthpiece on him he’ll do well. Plenty of fresh matches for him overseas which should invigorate him a bit.

2 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Haskins is good, yeah. He’s got a style where you’re guaranteed a solid match out of him. It’s a shame that he got injured when he did, because he was properly getting momentum behind him after winning the PROGRESS Championship, he was winning titles everywhere, and then in his absence was when the BSS trio started getting around everywhere and he got shafted a bit in the booking of PROGRESS. It’s very obvious they’ve got nothing for him at the moment, and it’s been that way for a solid while.

His promos are dreadful, but if they stick a mouthpiece on him he’ll do well. Plenty of fresh matches for him overseas which should invigorate him a bit.

I wonder if Vicky is going with him?

• Paid Members

I've always despised Haskins because through no fault of his own he got pushed as something special in several feds where I never thought he was a big deal, especially following those others who had courted interest from international promotions. He's a good hand but I never get particularly excited about his matches. Haskins Havoc Haskins was my favourite use of him possibly ever.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

So what is everyone's ROH match of the year?

How about we turn that on it's head a little? You're consonantly being called out for being a ROH shill and ,until very recently, you rarely posted in any non-ROH/New Japan thread.

So here's your chance to redeem yourself; what was the worst of ROH this year? Prove you're not just here to hype up ROH news and events, and actually go into the negatives about the promotion, What sucked? What was disappointing? What could've been done better?

I love New Japan, but I can go on for quite a bit about what I don't like about it and what I think they've done wrong this year and what I felt was disappointing. Having a balanced view is healthy but you seem to actively avoid discussions about the piss-poor booking, shoddy talent decisions and bland shows. 

Let your hair down, let off some steam and prove you're not part of some ROH 'media team'.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

How about we turn that on it's head a little? You're consonantly being called out for being a ROH shill and ,until very recently, you rarely posted in any non-ROH/New Japan thread.

So here's your chance to redeem yourself; what was the worst of ROH this year? Prove you're not just here to hype up ROH news and events, and actually go into the negatives about the promotion, What sucked? What was disappointing? What could've been done better?

I love New Japan, but I can go on for quite a bit about what I don't like about it and what I think they've done wrong this year and what I felt was disappointing. Having a balanced view is healthy but you seem to actively avoid discussions about the piss-poor booking, shoddy talent decisions and bland shows. 

Let your hair down, let off some steam and prove you're not part of some ROH 'media team'.

Seasons greetings @Accident Prone

I'll happily answer your questions. But first, let me raise a point.You are the third person to accuse me of working for ROH in some manor, which I find rather odd. This is a wrestling forum, not a WWE forum. The reason I post about Impact / ROH and New Japan is because these are the promotions that interest me. 2 years ago I mainly watched Impact, then I subscribed to HonorClub, then more recently NJPW World. I post about promotions that interest me. I don't post about promotions that I don't. Its that simple. Live and let live.....

On to your questions, although as I commented on the annual Awards page, I don't like to dwell on the negatives....

1. What sucked?

The Honor ReUnited Tour - Touted as a repeat of the successful Honor United Tour, this centred round a tournament that was meaningless and was done to save money and limit the size of the ROH roster they needed to bring over. Poor events and poor ticket sales followed.

2. What was disappointing?

Dalton Castle's world title reign. He really went nowhere and lost steam after beating Cody at Final Battle.  

3. What could've been done better?

Women of Honor - holds zero interest for me and the talent just isn't there in any depth to make it meaningful.

4. Piss-poor booking

Bernard The Business Bear - absolutely pointless, went nowhere and he was just gone one day without explanation

5. Shoddy talent decisions

The TV Title has gone nowhere in 2018. It should never have been put on Punishment Martinez and Jeff Cobb has done nothing in the promotion to warrant getting that strap so soon.

6. Bland shows

Death Before Dishonor. Small crowd in big arena hurt the show, as did little promotion (the show was just 'there' not long after All In. Plus the undercard was underwhelming as they put Cody, Scurll, Hangman, the Bucks, Okada and Ishii all in one match.If they had used them all, but spread them across the card, the show could have been awesome - headlined by the superb Ospreay / Lethal main event. 

My positive awards would be:

1. ROH Wrestler of the Year

Cody

2. ROH Tag Team of the Year

The Young Bucks

3. Show of the Year

Final Battle 2018

4. Best new talent

Flip Gordon

5. Storyline of the Year

Bullet Club is Fine / Cody v Omega fued

6. Tag Match of the Year

The Briscoes v Young Bucks at Best In The World

7. Singles Match of the Year

Cody v Kenny Omega at Supercard of Honor

• Paid Members

I appreciate the write-up @MPDTT. I understand that you don't want to chat about WWE, but have no fear in discussing the negatives of something as well as the positives. Discussion like that actually brings more attention to this thread and ROH in general, and will also stop people from ignoring your posts all together. No one likes a shill at the end of day, and singing the praises of a company with as much buzz as Kris Marshall comes across as rather phoney,

Personally, I think ROH are stagnant and have only gotten milestones like MSG because of the NJPW connection, booking their biggest shows during WresleMania weekend and some air of name value, so I'm really interested to see how they progress from here now that they might be losing a lot of key people.

They've quickly signed up some names (really weird picks, but promising names never the less), now they have to work on their image problem. The Beer City Bruisers and Brian Milonas' and Matt Tavens and Silas Youngs and fucking Bully Rays need to be shown the door, right now. The fact that you nominated Flip Gordan as 'Best New Talent' (Flip debuted in April '17) highlights their issues with talent scouting and their struggle to keep people on-board.

Also, the Honor Club service needs a lot more classic content uploaded in order to entice lapsed fans like myself and the booking needs to be more dynamic and needs to feel less like an exercise in mediocrity.

At the end of the day, ticket sales and sparse crowd reactions at live shows are really telling and they need to react now seeing as AEW are right around the corner with Cody, The Bucks, Omega (maybe?) and Hagman at the helm. The ROH brand on it's own won't be enough considering all the growing competition out there and I really want ROH to succeed in today's modern wrestling market.

I'm definitely looking forward to the company pushing its own identity, whatever that is now, going forward rather than just feeling like they're relying on New Japan talent. It doesn't feel that special or exciting anymore when it's easy enough to just watch NJPW instead. ROH needs to create its own stars and become something again. It's not bad but it just feels like it's there and not really anything exciting or interesting.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm definitely looking forward to the company pushing its own identity, whatever that is now, going forward rather than just feeling like they're relying on New Japan talent. It doesn't feel that special or exciting anymore when it's easy enough to just watch NJPW instead. ROH needs to create its own stars and become something again. It's not bad but it just feels like it's there and not really anything exciting or interesting.

That’s the main issue I have with them going into 2019 with Jay Lethal as their top guy. He’s a good wrestler, sure, but there is absolutely nothing engaging or compelling about watching him work. He’s capable of a good match, but that’s nowhere near enough to keep somebody hooked. You look at every other show held by a company on similar stature to ROH and you’ll be able to see a “good match” - it’s not enough for your champion to just be able to have a “good match” - he’s got to have the ability to keep fans invested, and I haven’t ever seen that with Lethal.