Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i didn't think much of it, but pretty much everything i've read or seen in the build up to this is saying not to sleep on Artur Szpilka, people seem to think this is Wilder's toughest test so this could be pretty interesting.

• Paid Members

I can't say I'm too familiar with Szpilka but I do remember seeing his two fights with Mike Mollo a while back and they were both bags of fun to watch.

Have a look;

Szpilka vs Mollo 1;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=furovEx376Q

Szpilka vs Mollo 2;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=KWdV0G22lxA

Mark de Mori is fucking shit, he's fought no one. Was often criticised for shit fights for shit titles (he's a 2 time "world" champion).

I'm expecting an early Ko, I can't help but feel it's on Dave because no one else wanted it.

Wilder should best Spzilka, another poor challenger. The fights he's had since he got the title were fights he should have had about a year or two before. Hopefully Fury gets on the mic post fight, ha!

About the Joshua Whyte figures... Anything is possible. Apparently Cleverly v Bellew outsold Froch KEssler II. They may have "done the right thing" because it sold so well, but a British title fight should never be a pay per view. Joshua got some flaws exposed by Whyte, who stumbles around the ring like he's pissed.

He does have some good qualities and the fight was enjoyable but there's no way people should be paying 17 pounds for that level of boxing.

That's never been how it works. The perceived 'quality' of the boxing has never been used to determine whether an event is free-to-air or not.

An event will be put on pay per view if enough people are willing to pay to view it, so that it becomes a profitable venture. It's a business, selling you a product.

That's how it's always worked, and so it should, too. Otherwise the whole combat sports industry would die on its arse as popular characters fight for free, and technically gifted automatons fight on PPV.

Joshua had a bit of a hype train behind him, he had a beef with Whyte and they sold pay-per-views. Good business.

Cleverly/Bellew? That was bad business.

• Paid Members

Not quite sure what to make of that. It was to be expected but i'd hoped de Mori would put up something resembling a test, he was just massively out of his depth.

Haye was in a bit of a no-win situation in there really in terms of how he won, but he looked sharp and clearly is still power that power. Now onto more serious matters...

• Paid Members

I don't have a problem with it. Yeah the guy had no business in there with Haye and there was obviously some fuckery gone on to have him even ranked that highly. But it was Haye's first fight in over three years. I don't mind fighters coming back and having a tune up or gimme to ease themselves back in. If he'd come back and fought a top guy and got battered everyone would be saying he should've taken an easier fight after the layoff. Three and a half years is a lifetime in boxing. Especially when you've had injury troubles in that time. This was basically just a trailer for something bigger/better. Now if his next fight is another De Mori, that's a bit much, but I'm fine with fighters taking an easy fight when they're returning to the ring after years on the shelf.

• Paid Members

Yep, last night was basically a demo. Regarding the broadcast though, did anyone else find the post fight interview between Haye and Paul Dempsey awkward as fuck?

I see Haye wiping the floor with Anthony Joshua if it happens too.

• Paid Members

It only got awkward when Dempsey tried to ask some proper questions that Haye clearly didn't want to answer. Oh, and when they weirdly switched to a mic the crowd could hear half way through.

I thought it was a waste of time, personally. I know you've got to expect a fairly easy fight for a return but that was a joke. De Mori hid behind his gloves for most of it and threw one punch which missed wildly. The crowd laughed at it. What was the point for Haye? I'd question that. I can't think of anything he got out of that. Perhaps confirmation that he's still got a big punch? Did anyone doubt that?

I like David Haye, always have, but his gob tends to be bigger than his talent sometimes. He did a hell of a job promoting that fight. A full O2 for that is staggering.