Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Had a quick look at the betting for Haye's next opponent. Briggs is favourite followed by Alexander Ustinov and Bryant Jennings. I'm not sure that anyone really knows, even Haye, so he could end up fighting Johnny Briggs, Peter Ustinov, or Pat Jennings at this point.

• Paid Members

Id love it to be Shannon Briggs. The Briggs schtick has worn thin because he's been talking more than fighting. I'd be back on board if he signed to fight Haye though.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Floyd Mayweather had an "evening with" show planned for the Colston Hall in Bristol but it was cancelled over protests over the whole woman beating thing. When I mentioned this, it became clear my wife was under the impression Mayweather was going to be boxing at Colston Hall. I'm now in the doghouse for just how much I laughed at this.  :dickin:

Frank Bruno has been down to Hatton's gym for a workout. He looks in great shape for 54.

Yw6jSgs.jpg

There was another photo of Ricky watching his trainee's doing cardio while he tucks into a pie.

Fz7QlaG.jpg

Jean Pascal vs. Sergey Kovalev rematch is on tonight. Not sure why a rematch is needed, Kovalev should be fighting another Canadian based fighter who keeps ducking him.

Sergey Khomitsky vs. John Ryder is on Sky Sports tonight. Khomitsky's record looks dodgy but he's a tough cookie and faced a lot of good opposition. Khomitsky also drew with Nick Blackwell who has beaten John Ryder so they're fairly evenly matched.

• Paid Members

Ha, good one. I was referring to Bruno. Sadly, I'm closer to Hatton's build than Bruno's at the minute. I'm probably the chubbiest I've ever been right now. I've got to start my running and BJJ again. That Bruno picture has sealed it. 54 for fuck's sake.

• Paid Members

I remember Frank Bruno lived in the Gorbals (with his girlfriend. It was very odd) and was on his varanda waving to people all day. Just sitting on there, drinking all day by the looks of it. Sometimes dancing.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/boxing-legend-frank-bruno-stuns-877224#bkH4Lzg6UOaXBUyO.97

Edited by bAzTNM#1

So Kovalev wiped the floor with Pascal again winning every round. Pascal was down in the 1st but the ref ruled it a slip on a clean punch. Pascal's best defence was gloves up, bending over in the corner, hiding. Pascal's new trainer Freddie Roach threatened to pull Pascal out at the end of the 6th round. Pascal pleaded for another round, he got it, got beat up some more and Roach stopped the fight at the end of the 7th.

There had been some bad blood between Pascal & Kovalev before the fight. Kovalev has been accused of racism, and Pascal brought banana's to the press conference. He was only giving them out to black people including Kovalev's trainer John David Jackson which stirred up some more conflict. Post fight Kovalev showed his cold Russian side by declaring he wanted inflict more pain & punishment on Jean Pascal but the fight was stopped. He said he wanted to fight "Adonis Chickenson" and started making quacking noises and then there was a repeat of the Wilder/Fury scuffle from the other week. Stevenson randomly shouting "hey thats me! I'm the champ, I'm the champ." whilst his entourage did some pseudo holding him back whilst Kovalev walked off.

• Paid Members

it was painful to watch, Kovalev beat the shit out of Pascal. The stuff pre-fight was real bad taste stuff and i think most people took Kovalev's side despite him being the one on the recieving end of racist accusations.

The post-fight thing was pretty funny though, Stevenson and his buddies came in looking like Al Capone and his buddies shouting and screaming. The fight can't take place though because neither are willing to budge from their respective broadcasters (HBO/Showtime), i'd still rather see that fight than Kovalev/Ward though.

George Groves comeback was fairly straight forward on Saturday night too, he's come so close to a world title fight that it's pointless him hanging around down at a lower level, hopefully he gets a big fight next then gets back into the chat for a rematch with DeGale.

• Paid Members

Frank Bruno has just said he's returning to boxing on "This Morning" there. No chance this will happen....right?

No reason why he couldn't do a masters style exhibition fight to get a nice pay day. He needs to stay away from anything competitive. Is he still having mental health issues?

He would not get a proper licence due to his eye injury.

Watched Groves on Saturday, despite good reports i read on his performance i thought it looked a bit tentative and disjointed. I guess he just wanted to get the win under his belt. He seems to be throwing alot more jabs to the midsection which could be a good weapon for him considering his long arms. But there just looked something missing IMO, maybe he'll start to look better the more time he spends with Mcguigan. It's a stacked division with alot of big money fights ahead for him.