DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mindhunters starring Val Kilmer, Christian Slater, LL Cool J (add on "aka: James Todd Smith" according to the credits) and Jonny Lee Miller.

Not a bad film, just not a very good one. Basically the film is about 6 or 7 FBI profilers get sent to a remote island for a training excercise, but of course there is a killer among them and they start getting picked off one by one. So far, so D-Tox (horrible Stallone movie). It is better than the aforementioned Sly movie, though that wouldn't be hard.

The film has way too much potential, and doesn't capitalise on it enough. Don't get me wrong, it starts off very well, and there are some inventive deaths, but it falls apart a bit in a last act which features a fight scene so unrealistic it makes the WWE look like shootfighting. It's a whodunnit, and it's not hard to figure out just who done it, but it does keep you guessing and the performances are pretty good, although Jonny Lee Miller's accent (he plays a real Southern country boy) keeps slipping leading you to question why they just didn't make his character English, and maybe it's the fact that LL Cool J uses both his rap name and his "serious actor" name, but it seems to me he's trying too hard. He also has one of the most laughable one-liners in film history, but I won't spoil it for you.

So yeah, worth a watch, just don't expect anything groundbreaking.

Edited by Mr. Seven

• Paid Members

Code of Silence - Chuck Norris cop movie, i'm into all the old cop-thrillers so this was cool, proper 80's movie, some great lil line-liners, Chucks beats up 20 guys at one time, token drug-lord bad dude and an remote controlled tank...good stuff.

Mindhunters starring Val Kilmer, Christian Slater, LL Cool J (add on "aka: James Todd Smith" according to the credits) and Jonny Lee Miller. Not a bad film, just not a very good one. Basically the film is about 6 or 7 FBI profilers get sent to a remote island for a training excercise, but of course there is a killer among them and they start getting picked off one by one. So far, so D-Tox (horrible Stallone movie). It is better than the aforementioned Sly movie, though that wouldn't be hard. The film has way too much potential, and doesn't capitalise on it enough. Don't get me wrong, it starts off very well, and there are some inventive deaths, but it falls apart a bit in a last act which features a fight scene so unrealistic it makes the WWE look like shootfighting. It's a whodunnit, and it's not hard to figure out just who done it, but it does keep you guessing and the performances are pretty good, although Jonny Lee Miller's accent (he plays a real Southern country boy) keeps slipping leading you to question why they just didn't make his character English, and maybe it's the fact that LL Cool J uses both his rap name and his "serious actor" name, but it seems to me he's trying too hard. He also has one of the most laughable one-liners in film history, but I won't spoil it for you.So yeah, worth a watch, just don't expect anything groundbreaking.

You just reminded me that I watched 45 minutes of this at a friend's but had to leave to catch my bus.I was quite enjoying it until I left.

Office Space - some great jokes and something that kept me hooked the whole way through, seemed to end rather dissapointingly though.

I fucking LOVE Office Space. :D Anyway, yesterday I watched Broken Flowers, the new Bill Murray movie. It was a lot like Lost in Translation, a man with no direction in his life and his struggling to get out of his rut etc. But without the cool Japenese backdrop.I'm a huge Bill Murray fan and enjoyed the film in parts but got pissed off at it in others, meeting all his ex-girlfriends along the way was interesting and the ending left me asking questions which I like. But if you didn't like Lost in Translation don't bother with this.

'Our House' aka 'Duplex'.I would never have thought a comedy involving Ben Stiller AND Drew Barrymore could be shit.I suddenly realised about 45 minutes in to the film that there were no jokes, funny lines or funny situations. By the end of the film, there was only one bit I actually laughed at but ten minutes after it ended I'd forgotten what bit.Really, really unfunny and disappointing. :(

• Paid Members

Watched "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" with my niece yesterday. Really good. I hated Space Jam but this was, thankfully, a million miles better. Dalton's in it so it rules straight away. Duck Dodgers~

Check out Dalton now... :(

Timhercules.jpg

Also saw "Cat in the Hat" which was also suprisingly good. Too bright for old old eyes though.

• Paid Members

We watched 'A lot like love' the other night. A creative chick flick, with Ashton Butcher and the gorgeous Amanda Peet.It's quite good, they meet, have a fling, she's very icy, they make a bet, they have a couple of breif encounters and finally fall in love 6 years later. Peet is utterly beautiful throughout the film, Butcher plays a good part and it has some funny parts anda bit of the necessary sickly sweet. Along with Notting Hill and Bridget Jones 1, it's one of the few chick flicks I could sit through again.

Watched the new Harry Potter film the weekend just gone. A very good film, the best of the 4 films so far, but not alot of flow to the film at times (with alot of stuff missing from the book). Still worthwhile viewing though, with good special effects, a pretty solid story, and mostly good acting... (***1/2)

• Paid Members

Got "Damien: The Omen 2" from my local library on hire. Didn't like it very much as I thought the first one was absolutely tremendous and I was hoping this was going to be more of the same, I was disappointed.

Damien's cocky stare at the end with his chin up in the air makes me seriously want to punch seven shades of shit out of him. His cocky stare, with that expressionless face, was tremendous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Contains spoilers for "The Crying Game".Just finished watching "The Crying Game" last night, which I scarily hadn't seen ever. You know what the basic storyline is due to the fact the film has been spoiler-ized to death. Basically Stephen Rea's character is an IRA man who has to hunt down this lady, who in fact is a man, for some reason. That bit were Rea's character finds out that this woman is in fact a man is truly terrifying and you can understand why he runs into the toilet and spews his guts out.Forrest Whitaker's English accent is truly horrible. Its really bad. If your gonna talk like Frank Bruno then just hire Frank Bruno.Awesome film.

Crimson Rivers

A good, interesting, and very watchable film. It has an interesting story, good acting from the two main leads Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel (as well as good performances from the rest of the cast), good action and special effects, great visuals and locations, and a great conclusion to the film. There is a lot of information being given to the viewer throughout the movie though (with a few interesting twists along the way) which could make the film somewhat confusing (with a second viewing of the film probably worthwhile to take in all what is being told), but in the end the movie is very good and certainly worth watching.

The 2-disc DVD set also has some good extras, including two commentaries, an interesting Making of (which lasts over 50-minutes), four interesting detailed storyboard comparisons, details of marketing and production, and a lot more.

(***)

Transporter

Great action, acceptable story, acceptable acting (pretty basic from Statham). Watch for the action rather than anything else and you should enjoy it!

(***)

Transporter 2

Pretty much the same as the 1st film - great action, acceptable story, acceptable acting. Again watch for the action rather than anything else and you should enjoy it!

(***)

Flightplan

Enjoyable enough, but not as good as I expected. Jodie Foster is very good throughout (as are most of the rest of the cast - Sean Bean is given little to do, and is never really as good as he should be with what he is given to do!). You can probably guess what is going on (guess the outcome) if you think enough (/too much) though!

(**1/2)

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Interesting enough if very unimpressive. The acting is good (especially from the girl who plays Emily Rose - Jennifer Carpenter), and the story isn't too bad either, but it really just didn't seem to click, and it was no where near as scary as people made it out to be (and the trailer tries to show it to be)!

(**)

Doom

A fun action movie, with less than impressive acting but enough to entertain for 90-minutes. (If you liked the Resident Evil movies then you should enjoy Doom)

(**1/2)

Acacia

An interesting film, if very unimpressive on the whole. It is slow starting (nothing really happens in the first 30-minutes of the film!), and the film throughout has a very slow pace to it. The film does get better and more interesting as it progresses though (after the 45-minute to 1-hour mark), and every now and then there is a spark of something good. Acacia also has an interesting ending, with more happening in the last 15-minutes than in the whole of the rest of the film. But the basic acting, basic story, and characters the viewer has little reason to care for really lets the film down in the end. The film is very similar to A Tale of Two Sisters (in pacing and other aspects), and I would recommend you watch that rather than Acacia!

(*)