DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Just finished watching "Misery" there with James Caan and Kathy Bates. Scarily thing is that Kathy Bates's character probably represents 90% of the female portion of this forum.That bit with the double ankle break was harsh, very harsh.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched 24 Hour Party People.Loved this film, focusesses around the Madchester scene from the late 70s and early 90s and mainly Tony Wilson, fascinating film and imagining how much of it was true was a fun thing to think about. I missed the whole scene (I was about 3 in 1990) but I'm sure anyone who was into it would love this film.

• Paid Members

had abit of a movie day today, first day off from work in awhile so i just sat on my fat ass and watched these:

Repo Man - brilliaint, 80's cult movie...loads of crazy shit in this, aliens, car chases, fights, and loads of great dialogue. if you enjoyed The Warriors you'll like this movie, same kinda thing...

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - best xmas film ever! i dusted off my dvd from last year and banged it on, non-stop gags and has that heart-warming feel that makes a christmas film great, easily Cousin Eddie's best showing of the Vacation films, funny fucking stuff...merry xmas :cool:

Navy Seals - read imdb and peeps seem to see this as a poor man's Top Gun, whatever...i still like this movie, i love all the old 80's/early 90's cheesy war films (chuck this in with Delta Force, Missing In Action etc.) it's easy no-brainer viewing unlike the edgier war films...great.

eXistenZ - crazy Cronenberg flick about a reality game type thing, great performances and a very confusing ending...this is great stuff, has all the usual Cronenberg gross-out effects too.

Cube Zero - prequel to the awesome Cube...this was kinda cool, some hammy acting ruins it abit but it gives a little insight on the actual Cube. Not on par with Cube but slots in nicely with the trilogy.

a great day's viewing...

:thumbsup:

Saw a preview showing of The Producers last night. Thought is was mostly crap, with Will Ferrell trying with all his might to save it but in the end failing. Uma Thurman didn't really convince me as the sex symbol, Matthew Broderick was crap trying to be Gene Wilder (and failing on every level), and the rest of the cast seemed to be over-acting more than I have seen in any film!

(*)

Will Ferrel ... does he play the German writer part ?

Yes he does.I went to see King Kong earlier, and found it to be a good, entertaining film. It is not without it's problems (it is too long, questions are left unanswered throughout, some of the CGI is pretty basic), but the cast is good, the acting is good, the story is good, the action scenes are great, and (on the whole) the CGI is good (Kong looks especially good). Not a 5-star film, but not a poor film either.(***)

• Paid Members

Saw a preview showing of The Producers last night. Thought is was mostly crap, with Will Ferrell trying with all his might to save it but in the end failing. Uma Thurman didn't really convince me as the sex symbol, Matthew Broderick was crap trying to be Gene Wilder (and failing on every level), and the rest of the cast seemed to be over-acting more than I have seen in any film!(*)

I don't know why but Lane and Broderick put me off any film that they are in.Even Ferris Bueller was shite. Don't let the 80s worshippers convince you it was a good film. Horrible.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - best xmas film ever! i dusted off my dvd from last year and banged it on, non-stop gags and has that heart-warming feel that makes a christmas film great, easily Cousin Eddie's best showing of the Vacation films, funny fucking stuff...merry xmas

I agree with all of the above. Is there anyone alive who didn't enjoy this film?

Ferris Bueller was shite. Don't let the 80s worshippers convince you it was a good film. Horrible.

I disagree with all of the above. Is there anyone alive (other than bAz) who didn't enjoy this film?

• Paid Members

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - best xmas film ever! i dusted off my dvd from last year and banged it on, non-stop gags and has that heart-warming feel that makes a christmas film great, easily Cousin Eddie's best showing of the Vacation films, funny fucking stuff...merry xmas

I agree with all of the above. Is there anyone alive who didn't enjoy this film?

Ferris Bueller was shite. Don't let the 80s worshippers convince you it was a good film. Horrible.

I disagree with all of the above. Is there anyone alive (other than bAz) who didn't enjoy this film?
ferris beuller is great...i actually missed it growing up and saw it for the first time not long ago, you can see how why so many people love this film nostalgia-wise.

• Paid Members

I have this habit when I'm at uni of going to bed at about 2 and watching a nice, simple film that doesn't require concentration. My last one this term was

Hitch - Exactly what I expected. Predictable and corny but Inoffensive and watchable, Eva Mendes is ridiculously hot as usual and Will Smith is all suave-yet-vulnerable. The initial meeting between the two is done in quite a cool way, other than that it was "meh" but not necessarily in a bad way. :)

At the cinema the last film was King Kong. Put my thoughts on it in the king kong trailer thread. In short though, a good spectacle that should be watched at the cinema rather than DVD, but a full hour too long and very very patchy outside of the scenes with Kong himself.

House of 9

Plot: Nine complete strangers are drugged and placed in a sealed house together. Once there, a mysterious voice on an intercom tells them that they have been entered into a competition to win five million dollars. Additionally, the winner will win his or her freedom...

An entertaining and enjoyable film, which is slow (with little happening) for the first half of the movie, before the action picks up in the second half (and when the action does come it is pretty bloody). There is too much unnecessary swearing in the film though, which for the most part seems out of place. The film has a good and interesting idea, but it is never really utilised to the full extent, and nothing is really explained in the end. It does have a very good last 15-minutes though, with a great ending. Dennis Hopper is good, Kelly Brook is perfectly acceptable in her role, and the other 7 main cast members are all acceptable as well. In the end House of 9 reminded me mostly of Cube, and you can see inspirations the director and writer had from other films (including the likes of the Cube films, Battle Royale, My Little Eye, and to some extent Saw 2). Worth watching if you liked the other films mentioned, give it a miss otherwise.

(**)

Guest KANO_THE_MYSTIC

Today ive been watching

Wake Up Ron Burgundy: The Lost Story

From IMDB : This "alternate film" companion to _Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)_ was compiled from dropped sub-plots and alternate takes. While Ron Burgundy's rivalry with Veronica Corningstone continues, a group of unprofessional theives better known as 'The Alarm Clock' try to make the truth known, whatever that may be.

Really good (if you like the actual film obv) and its good to see more Ron Burgundy material than you got in anchorman considering it was made from dropped material its quite impressive that they made a story out of it , anyhoo you should look it up