Mr McMahon Netflix doc Thread

Hannibal Scorch

Having watched all 6 Episodes since they drop. 

Initial thoughts are MOST of these is just a retelling of the story of WWF/WWE to an adult audience and serves as a history piece for old fans but with that Dark Side of The ring feel to it and wasn't the McMahon story imo more an in-depth peeling back of WWE in general. I think my cousins who are in their 40s and dropped of post-attitude and never came back would be shocked by the documentary. A fan who stuck with it will know most of the content and stories in the most of the episodes 

Talking Heads - Not as many as I thought there's a lot of people missing and how Tony Atlas was so heavily interviewed.

Some interesting notes into the family pieces and seeing Linda involved was interesting too

Has my opinion on Vince changed not really, these past couple of years has changed that view far more than this documentary has

What was interesting to me was who was interviewing post Vince leaving including Bruce, Cody etc 

Taker being Taker talking about being saddened by Chair Shots going, or concussions. That old school thought process is maddening but again isn't part of the McMahon story

It sounds like it's exactly what I assumed it would be, which is 95% the usual WWE documentary bollocks we've seen a million times before, and then right at the end they realise they have to acknowledge this latest scandal so they get Meltzer in bring us up to date with everything. I wasn't planning on watching and thanks to some of these guys like the Trevor Dame fella on twitter and a few reviews I don't think I'll bother. 

Steve Austin saying he doesn't believe in CTE might be the biggest takeaway from this. What a fucking idiot.

This really isn’t the biggest deal in the documentary or the Vince McMahon story and shouldn’t take away from the ridiculous decision to carry on the show or the tragedy of Owen but I really hate the repetition that they wrestled with Owen’s blood on the mat that could be seen on camera. It was a line said on DSOTR as well. If you watch the shows from that night the Hardyz got a bloodbath from The Brood in that spot on Heat and the blood patch is evident the full show. What happened is enough in itself, there doesn’t need to be the amplified story for dramatic effect but that’s just my OCD speaking.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, digforvictory said:

It sounds like it's exactly what I assumed it would be, which is 95% the usual WWE documentary bollocks we've seen a million times before, and then right at the end they realise they have to acknowledge this latest scandal so they get Meltzer in bring us up to date with everything. I wasn't planning on watching and thanks to some of these guys like the Trevor Dame fella on twitter and a few reviews I don't think I'll bother. 

Agree, I was never going to watch it, either. Have followed the very good coverage on Twitter and that's plenty. Sounds utterly sickening but you all know how I feel...

image.png.ed6a60aea8541fbe43d1e50c1c81c55d.png

And about this cunt...

image.thumb.png.940118419ff8fbb9020ed5b779793518.png

Anyway, I've been trying not to be a bitter old bastard so will confine it to this thread and move on.

I did get a chuckle out of Hulk Hogan's 2022 prediction that WWE would be fucked without Vince. Poor bastard must have invested all his braincells in PastaMania.

3 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

Who is Trevor Dame? Not heard of him before this thread 

Just another fella who tweets about the wrestling but is rather balanced about it. Think someone like John Pollock without the extra cred, he's pretty good, one of the only wrestling accounts that isn't completely irritating or posting engagement hot takes as he doesn't seem to be angling for any cheeseboards from the big companies 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

Who is Trevor Dame? Not heard of him before this thread 

Just a wrestling Twitterer. I don't follow him, I just see his stuff RT'd sometimes. Seems like an opinion I agree with a lot of the time. Dunno if that makes him balanced, or me biased, but it's true regardless.

• Paid Members

Best thing about Dame is that he’ll do a brilliant, succinct recap whenever Meltzer releases an audio update after something massive happens. So much easier to digest than having to suffer through Dave rambling on, constantly going off on tangents, saying, “you know,” so much that even The Undertaker would take the piss.

Shite, this. The most bog standard mix of Netflix and WWE's worst traits on stuff that's been covered more than the fucking moon landing. Going for a walk instead of dedicating any more time to it. Happy to read a recap instead. Hearing the same parade of cunts croak out shit like MAINSTREAM and ROCKY and VERNE GAG KNEE in 2024 still is like being hosed down with napalm and I dont think repeatedly upsetting/boring myself by hearing them saying weird, objectionable nonsense that just makes them look like weird damaged old titheads is that appealing to me.

Edited by Cannibal Man

Honestly the best bit was probably hearing the Montreal fallout AGAIN. Triple H saying he left the room because he didn't want to see Vince get punched, absolutely hilarious, he didn't want Rick Rude to rearrange his nose and because he's a canny little turd. But yeah, I think because of what we know about Vince and even before that, still seeing Bret talk about knocking him flat on his bean is extremely satisfying.

Hogan admitting to outright ratting Jesse Ventura about wrestling unions too. Awful man, glad Jesse won that lawsuit and Vince threw a proper shitfit. Austin looking like a right whopper with his CTE stuff, Undertaker coming across the most like how Brian Pillman sussed him to be. Heyman looking incredibly sleazy, Bruce Pritchard sounding like someone who has been promoted in a cult with his defence. Weird people.

The line in reference to Rita Chatterton was absolutely vile, one of the little glimpses into an almost Savile/OJ hiding in plain site deals from someone at the time who felt they were truly still completely untouchable.

Really hope this suit against him ruins him and enforces MORE changes in WWE, you can have that hot product all you want and good for the wrestlers making that bank, but there is still plenty of flies in the ointment.