Who Killed WCW?

Merzbow

Aside from hearing that the Goldberg gimmick was based on Mike Tyson(?!?) not much new was said on the second episode, plus it felt like there was even more Eric here. Goldberg came across as the biggest mark for himself but nothing new there, they all also continued the lie that the rocket was strapped to him since day one and ignored the brief rocky start. The next ep seems to be all about the Russo era.

Goldberg comes across thick as fucking mince doesn't he? Tells Bret 'watch for the kick' but it's not a move he really does and telling Bret to watch out means nothing. He still has no idea what kick it's going to be, and then Goldberg just throws a mental kick to the side of his head, like a mule kicking off. Telling Bret he should protect himself. Absolute pillock, Undertaker dropping him on his bonce probably did nothing to that thick head. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, “watch the kick” in a pro wrestling match doesn’t usually mean ‘Hey I’m gonna throw a full blast, shoot mule kick at your head as hard as I can. Good luck buddy’. 

Gotta love him saying how remorseful he’s always been about it when every single time he talks about it he absolves himself of any guilt and has the nerve to blame the guy on the receiving end! In Bret’s words - “stupid, stupid, stupid, everyday”. 

They missed out the other knocks to the head Goldie caused in that match, too. I knew about him not helping Bret on the corner post spot, that looks just as bad as the kick and an old post from Ian reminded me of the forearm early on, too. It's almost as if he went out there to rough him up.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Aside from hearing that the Goldberg gimmick was based on Mike Tyson(?!?) not much new was said on the second episode, plus it felt like there was even more Eric here. 

I don't buy Goldberg being modelled on Tyson. Obviously these things aren't like for like, and things have more than one influence, but he was always modelled as a pro-wrestling take on a UFC fighter. There's more of Shamrock and Severn to Goldberg than there is of Tyson - they had him studying MMA tapes, and doing Pancrase style kneebars. 

5 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Do you know any more about this? I didn’t think Bret had any contact with WWF until after Owen died - he met Vince at a park and was apparently offered the opportunity to return and become WWF champion. 

WWF were in Calgary at the Saddledome doing a house show. Vince wasn't there, neither was Shawn Michaels. Pretty sure Earl Hebner was and Triple H worked a tag match with Test against Kane and X-Pac.

In addition to the Bret and Taker photo, I read there was one of Bret and The Rock though I haven't seen it. I think Dave Meltzer reported it in the Observer. It was around this time that Foley, Taker and Owen were keen for Bret to return and lobbied on his behalf to Vince. The whole picture changed once Owen died and Bret and Vince met in the park as you described.

15 minutes ago, Roy said:

WWF were in Calgary at the Saddledome doing a house show. Vince wasn't there, neither was Shawn Michaels. Pretty sure Earl Hebner was and Triple H worked a tag match with Test against Kane and X-Pac.

In addition to the Bret and Taker photo, I read there was one of Bret and The Rock though I haven't seen it. I think Dave Meltzer reported it in the Observer. It was around this time that Foley, Taker and Owen were keen for Bret to return and lobbied on his behalf to Vince. The whole picture changed once Owen died and Bret and Vince met in the park as you described.

It was around the time Steve Austin had split with his first wife and was at the time having a dalliance with Diana Hart whilst Davey was in the hospital, because wrestlers are wrestlers.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Roy said:

Correct. With Austin & Show vs Rock & Boss Man on last and Taker vs Shamrock and Owen & Double J vs Outlaws vs E&C underneath. Owen persuaded Bret to go and he said in his book he wanted to let go of some bitterness. He caught up with Mankind, Edge, Test, Godfather and Shamrock, Rock told him “I’ll never forget what you did for me” and yes, he spied Stone Cold flirting with Diana before they each shared divorce stories, then he and Taker went for a few jars.

Re: Russo - he does say he left the WWF on good terms with Russo after calling him to see if Owen could get out of his deal. He stops short of blaming Russo for the Blue Blazer revival, blaming himself for the mask idea back in 88 in the first place, though notes the superhero entrance was Vince R’s idea, but adds “I’m not laying blame here. It’s punishment enough that Russo has to live with the knowledge of his role in Owens death.” He’s not complimentary of the booking under Russo (“I hated it all”) and says he had “the air of a carny magician” but says not a word against him as a person.

On 6/10/2024 at 3:44 PM, air_raid said:

Then come Toronto there's the infamous pitching to Bret that after he does the breastplate angle with Hogan, Hulk comes out and clobbers him, leaving him laying in Canada. Bret's response to Bischoff is amazing.

"So am I going to be working with Hogan now?"

"No."

"Is Hogan going to be working with Goldberg now?"

"No."

"So why the fuck would we do that then?"

..... the description of Bret and Bischoff going to talk to Terry and a bemused Hulk just going "He's right, I don't need to be out there" is amazing too. Like Bischoff just trying to make Bret look bad and playing him and Hogan off against each other just like Vince did.

While I’ve delved back into the Bret stories, just to add some meat to this…. after initially loving the breastplate idea, Goldberg nearly reneged on it because our mate Nash convinced him it would kill Bills momentum dead (like anyone not named Hogan had any at the time) and Bret had to talk him back round. The first draft of ruining it was that Kev wanted to come out at the end and leave Bret laying - even though it was Goldberg he’s working at Spring Stampede. The second draft was Bischoff suggesting he slag off the fans and tell them he doesn’t need them - until Bret points at the queue of fans with signs for him and wearing his merch and points out they’d just be pissing money away. Hogan coming down is the third draft. Fuck.

Oh, and final learnings from the 99-2000 part of his book - he’s complimentary of Sid as a pro for working light with him while he was working with his undiagnosed concussion, and his sister Ellie, Anvils wife/widow, is a real piece of shit.

Edited by air_raid
You start the fire in meeeee

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

Correct. With Austin & Show vs Rock & Boss Man on last and Taker vs Shamrock and Owen & Double J vs Outlaws vs E&C underneath. Owen persuaded Bret to go and he said in his book he wanted to let go of some bitterness. He caught up with Mankind, Edge, Test, Godfather and Shamrock, Rock told him “I’ll never forget what you did for me” and yes, he spied Stone Cold flirting with Diana before they each shared divorce stories, then he and Taker went for a few jars.

Another anecdote from Bret's visit to WWF in 1999 is that he talked - somewhat amicably - to Earl Hebner, according the the Wrestling Observer. Bret had reached out to him in 1998 when Hebner had his brain aneurysm but this was the first time they had met since then.

• Paid Members
On 6/12/2024 at 8:58 PM, BomberPat said:

I don't buy Goldberg being modelled on Tyson. Obviously these things aren't like for like, and things have more than one influence, but he was always modelled as a pro-wrestling take on a UFC fighter. There's more of Shamrock and Severn to Goldberg than there is of Tyson - they had him studying MMA tapes, and doing Pancrase style kneebars. 

I wonder if there's an argument to be made that they based Goldberg on Taz? Given that Taz was essentially a proto-MMA gimmick (the singlet, the suplexes, the submissions, the feud with Paul Varelans), and the fact they were able to push this tiny tank of a bloke as an near-unstoppable monster, maybe wCw saw another idea they could rip off?

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Didn't they abandon the whole MMA thing pretty early on? Nothing really MMA about tackling spears and jackhammers.

I think the “MMA” thing has been retconned off the back of that rolling knee bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Last episode was well worth it for the little bits and pieces of camcorder footage from the final Nitro. Fair play to them for focussing on the ordinary livelihoods that were lost from it all. It's been a decent watch. 

Seeing this on the wall of the backstage area hit me in the feels a bit:

spacer.png

Cut to Nash "Man I'm so fuckin' cool I wasn't even there lol". 

Edited by The Gaffer