• Paid Members
17 hours ago, FLips said:

There needs to be a serious re-think of the way politics is presented as a country anyway. We're stuck in a two-party system with rarely any deviation from it and I would argue a big cause of that other than stubbornly stuck in their ways supporters of each party is that there's not a level playing field for every party. I know they do these 7-leader debates but they should all be that. We shouldn't have just Tory vs Labour debates where all the other parties are afterthoughts or it will never change the perception they're wasted votes or coalition backups.

This election feels like the best chance of that changing in our lifetimes - there's a chance (though I don't see it happening) that the Tories don't even hold enough seats to be the official opposition party any more, and what happens then? This country is obsessed with tradition, and the Tories and support for them is so embedded into so much of our media and public life, that if they end up in third place, they will still be treated as culturally on level footing to Labour and (in this imagined result) the Lib Dems, and formats that were historically presented with just the two main parties will be opened up to three or more. It will all be in the name of giving the Tories chance to go away and regroup and come back stronger, but it'll be interesting to see what happens once the genie is out of the bottle. 

12 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Does anyone think that even at this late stage there could be a deal between Reform and the Tories? Or is it up there with Sunac getting replaced as Tory leader as a conspiracy theory? 

I don't know why you'd do it if you were Reform yet.

The Conservatives are plummeting, their brand is absolutely dead. Reform is having the time of their lives picking the carcass, without the expectation of electoral success. They'd be better off, which is what I imagine they will try to make happen, of letting the Tories get absolutely destroyed (with them having helped), hopefully (from their perspective) getting Nigel in as an MP and then suing for peace after the election and creating a new SUPER PARTY of the right with Nigel as leader, and leader of the opposition.

That has to be his aim, I'd have thought. Do a deal now and they have to share in the Tories misery. Do it after the election and they can cast it as a rebirth of the English right, and Farage gets the sort of job he's always wanted.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don't know why you'd do it if you were Reform yet.

The Conservatives are plummeting, their brand is absolutely dead. Reform is having the time of their lives picking the carcass, without the expectation of electoral success. They'd be better off, which is what I imagine they will try to make happen, of letting the Tories get absolutely destroyed (with them having helped), hopefully (from their perspective) getting Nigel in as an MP and then suing for peace after the election and creating a new SUPER PARTY of the right with Nigel as leader, and leader of the opposition.

That has to be his aim, I'd have thought. Do a deal now and they have to share in the Tories misery. Do it after the election and they can cast it as a rebirth of the English right, and Farage gets the sort of job he's always wanted.

I’ve been listening to Rhun Ap Iowerth and Nigel Farage on BBC Radio this morning (absolutely fantastic interviews from both, in the sense the interviewer is brilliant and there are caller questions who don’t hold back) and Farage was outright asked about a Tory coalition. He as much as ruled it out however said particular MPs like Suella Braverman he’d be willing to work with. 

1 hour ago, FLips said:

I’ve been listening to Rhun Ap Iowerth and Nigel Farage on BBC Radio this morning (absolutely fantastic interviews from both, in the sense the interviewer is brilliant and there are caller questions who don’t hold back) and Farage was outright asked about a Tory coalition. He as much as ruled it out however said particular MPs like Suella Braverman he’d be willing to work with. 

He has to rule it out, as its like asking someone if they want to marry this once great princess whos been publicly disgraced and also has leprosy.

Of course you say no, because you don't want people to think you're so self serving that you're willing to get in bed with the Princess, risking public disgrace and catching your own case of leprosy.

But after the election, when you can step back and read the runes, the Princess might be humbled but the public could well be over their bloodletting and the leprosy could be in remission. At that point, with all the leverage your own, you could do a deal and defend it by saying 'this is a different Tory party, this isn't Rishi Sunak's Conservatives... this is Nigel Farage's TORY REFORM PARTY' and the crowd go wild etc etc

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

'Nigel Farage's TORY REFORM PARTY'

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH TORYFORRRRRRMM

TORYFORM FOR YOOOOOOUUUUUU

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, hallicks said:

I’ve already started making long term plans to evacuate if Farage ever becomes PM. 

In the medical sense that is 100% on brand for here. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Labour is red, Tories are blue, I can't spell, Fuk U Bacun.

• Paid Members

This came on round my Grandparents’ house earlier and while they had no idea what it was, obviously others will. 
I hate to say it but it’s a fantastic bit of viral marketing on terrestrial TV, so even the Sunak household will get it.

IMG_9379.jpeg

• Paid Members

Obviously not targeting the visually impaired it would seem. Regardless of whether or not it’s considered good marketing, it annoys me when such things can’t be consumed by all, even if it is Reform.

25 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Obviously not targeting the visually impaired it would seem. Regardless of whether or not it’s considered good marketing, it annoys me when such things can’t be consumed by all, even if it is Reform.

BBCs Access All podcast discuss the issues disabled people, particularly the visually impaired face when voting. The host was on the news yesterday (can’t find the clip) and made excellent points. 

• Moderators
21 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

He has to rule it out, as its like asking someone if they want to marry this once great princess whos been publicly disgraced and also has leprosy.

Of course you say no, because you don't want people to think you're so self serving that you're willing to get in bed with the Princess, risking public disgrace and catching your own case of leprosy.

But after the election, when you can step back and read the runes, the Princess might be humbled but the public could well be over their bloodletting and the leprosy could be in remission. At that point, with all the leverage your own, you could do a deal and defend it by saying 'this is a different Tory party, this isn't Rishi Sunak's Conservatives... this is Nigel Farage's TORY REFORM PARTY' and the crowd go wild etc etc

This is so odd. You continue to win my personal award for the strangest analogies presented on this board. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Put Laura Kuenssberg's show on as she has some interviews going on this morning I thought would be worth a watch, including Ed Davey and Rhun Ap Iorwerth. Brian Cox is also on the panel. They opened with Labour's Wes Streeting and Tory Mark Harper and she had a friendly bit of back and forth with Wes about Labour's pledges and when Mark was asked the same, straight away into "Labour is going to tax you" mode. Abysmal. Didn't read the room at all, absolute mood killer.

Then we introduced the rest of the panel. Nadine Dorries. Fucking hate her. Why am I watching this.

Edit: It's not Nadine Dorries I hate, it's Andrea Leadsom. Nadine's been ok to be fair.

Edited by FLips