Childhood Misconceptions

gmoney

• Paid Members

At the risk of being ostracised, with the Cherry ones I eat all the yoghurt first and then eat the cherry goop at the end. I love the cherry goop too much to water it down with the yoghurt. Crunch corners and all other fruit ones I tip and mix. 

13 minutes ago, JLM said:

At the risk of being ostracised, with the Cherry ones I eat all the yoghurt first and then eat the cherry goop at the end. I love the cherry goop too much to water it down with the yoghurt. Crunch corners and all other fruit ones I tip and mix. 

I think that's absolutely fine. But putting yoghurt in the fruit bit is pathetic, due to size more than anything.

"pathetic, due to size more than anything" I'll out of context myself while I'm here.

• Paid Members

As a kid, I got Jurassic Park on VHS one Christmas. 

I took the tagline 'An Adventure 65 million years in the making' quite literally and assumed that's how long it took the film to be made. 

9 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I mean there's always a chance you didn't mishear him.

That would more likely have come from the priest who replaced him, later found to be a sex offender.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, gmoney said:

That reminds me - piss is stored in the balls.

Daft Punk's best song, that. 

• Paid Members
On 5/21/2024 at 11:00 AM, BomberPat said:

A stupid nerdy one is that I could never understand why you could buy the same games for Nintendo and Sega consoles, because those companies obviously hated each other.

For the longest time I had similar assumptions. Or at least that there was favouritism from the publishers - they gave the Mega Drive/Genesis "Hyperstone Heist" because they couldn't possibly give them something as good as Turtles In Time and upset Nintendo.

Also, it was probably decades later that the delayed Street Fighter II : Special Champion Edition for the Mega Drive did not, in fact, have anything that was a whole lot different from Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES, and that were both were ports of Hyper Fighting with insignificant tweaks/mode changes.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

For the longest time I had similar assumptions. Or at least that there was favouritism from the publishers - they gave the Mega Drive/Genesis "Hyperstone Heist" because they couldn't possibly give them something as good as Turtles In Time and upset Nintendo.

Also, it was probably decades later that the delayed Street Fighter II : Special Champion Edition for the Mega Drive did not, in fact, have anything that was a whole lot different from Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES, and that were both were ports of Hyper Fighting with insignificant tweaks/mode changes.

I was given to understand that, even at Sega's height, very few publishers were willing to risk Nintendo's wrath after what they did to Namco in the 80s. Yamauchi was the Vince McMahon of video games, in that he was innovative as hell in a well-established market, made his company the world leader ahead of companies more entrenched in the field, and was a massive arsehole to his contractors.

It's no surprise that Sony were able to break their stranglehold in a way that Sega were unable to do - with a bigger market presence and better trading infrastructure, loads of publishing houses were no doubt chomping at the bit to jump and pay Nintendo back for their shitty practices.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

It's no surprise that Sony were able to break their stranglehold in a way that Sega were unable to do - with a bigger market presence and better trading infrastructure, loads of publishing houses were no doubt chomping at the bit to jump and pay Nintendo back for their shitty practices.

I actually wrote a case study on the birth of the PlayStation as part of my Masters and I think motivation was a strong factor too - Nintendo fucking them over with the abortion of the "Nintendo Playstation" so they could concentrate on the N64, assuming its 64-bit capability would blow the 32-bit Saturn out of the water and end the console war for once and for all.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I actually wrote a case study on the birth of the PlayStation as part of my Masters and I think motivation was a strong factor too - Nintendo fucking them over with the abortion of the "Nintendo Playstation" so they could concentrate on the N64, assuming its 64-bit capability would blow the 32-bit Saturn out of the water and end the console war for once and for all.

Was it the "Nintendo Playstation"? I'd always heard it was going to be called the "Super-CD" and that it was going to be a CD-ROM supplemental console to the SNES like the MegaCD was to the MD.

EDIT: Fuck it, I've just remembered that photo going around of the prototype model of the Nintendo/Sony Playstation that sold for bunce recently.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I think I speak for all of us when I say that I would like to read this.

Definitely don't have it anywhere but short version - Nintendo wanted a CD based system and worked with Sony to produce it. When they realised the 32 bit Saturn was going to be Sega's next console, they told Sony "thanks but no thanks" and redirected their attention away from CD-based with its better sound quality and ability to render video, and towards the Dolphin/Ultra 64 which was going to be 64 bit because they wanted to crush Sega. Sega in turn rushed the Saturn out by November 94 so they could beat the Playstation to market but didn't have the games ready so by early 95 the Playstation recovered from its initial disadvantage and wildly outsold the Saturn. Eventually post Dreamcast Sega realised they were in a losing proposition in consoles and dropped out of the market to concentrate on making games, including (what I found funny at the time) Sega games coming out on the Nintendo Game Cube. At the time of my writing Nintendo had fallen behind and with the XBox on the market had found themselves in a battle for 2nd, crushed by their own greed and attempt to consolidate the top spot. They fucked over an ally and created their own worst enemy and downfall.

It would be anachronistic to read now, to be fair.

• Paid Members

When I was around 4, I wasn't aware of the concept of a draw in sports. I thought you could just win or lose. So when my Grandad used to come back from the football saying it had ended in a draw, I used to assume that everyone there had just stopped playing football and pulled out a paper and pencil to do a little sketch. I distinctly remember having the image of thousands of people at the Molineux as it pissed down, all sitting there drawing, and thinking it sounded like the most boring shite ever.

It was probably less boring than watching the Wolves in the 90s, to be fair.

I was similarly confused by the "pools" and thought it must have something to do with swimming.

My Grandad was always moaning about the pools, which was strange as Brentford Leisure Centre had a wave machine, how could you moan!