Promotion Names

Vamp

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

what I love about the IWGP, the GHC and the PWF is that it was an attempt at legitimacy by Japanese promotions to suggest that there was a larger governing body that managed these titles, rather than it just being the "<enter promotion name> World Title". You're not just the champion of NJPW or AJPW, you're the champion recognised by the "IWGP" or the "PWF" as a broader entity.

That no such broader entity ever existed is kind of irrelevant! You see it on a smaller scale in Japan (and Mexico, actually) too, where a lot of indie promotions or individual wrestlers use belts from long-defunct promotions, because the name and longevity still afford it some kind of credibility - like Michinoku Pro having the British Commonwealth Junior Heavyweight Championship for years.

In my joke Promotion Wars save I had the  Coalition Of Supermarkets Meal Deal Championship, the premise being the holder can get a free meal deal each day they hold the belt.

• Paid Members

the best part is that "a tournament in Rio de Janeiro" is exactly how they'd claimed Buddy Rogers won the WWWF Title too. It such a specific bit of bullshit to use twice. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

In my joke Promotion Wars save I had the  Coalition Of Supermarkets Meal Deal Championship, the premise being the holder can get a free meal deal each day they hold the belt.

But instead of a belt, they should have the golden COS Lettuce!

Just now, BomberPat said:

the best part is that "a tournament in Rio de Janeiro" is exactly how they'd claimed Buddy Rogers won the WWWF Title too. It such a specific bit of bullshit to use twice. 

That would've quickly become an in-joke in my promotion, and a shameless deus ex machina too. 

WWE couldn't get away with it now, and it's probably not possible in this day and age for AEW, but a promotion like Attack!, PWG, or Kaiju Big Battel might get away with it.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

You're not just the champion of NJPW or AJPW, you're the champion recognised by the "IWGP" or the "PWF" as a broader entity.

I was "today" years old when I learned that the International Wrestling Grand Prix was not just the name given to the tournament where the first couple of IWGP champs were crowned, but in fact the "governing body" of New Japan. Huh.

• Paid Members

I keep bringing it up, but we did it at least once for CIWW; the plan for our second year was to do a year-long tournament to introduce our tag titles, and the whole thing fell apart for a variety of reasons, so we just had the team we had wanted to win all along show up one week as champions, claiming that they'd won a tournament in Rio de Janeiro.

I used to joke that the most common way for a title to change hands in CIWW was "on a technicality". The same tag titles ended up at least once changing hands in a singles or a handicap match, and were once vacated following a kayfabe doping scandal, while singles titles were chopped and changed a bunch of times in Rumbles or matches that didn't have the champion in them, or overturned on bullshit Dusty finishes, all manner of nonsense.

I think the best one I heard about Attack! doing was - and I'm going on memory so might have some of the details wrong - a match where CCK wrestled Bowl-A-Rama, but with each team dressed up as the other team. So, Bowl-A-Rama dressed as CCK beat Tag Team Champions CCK dressed as Bowl-A-Rama, but it was determined that it counted as a title defence for CCK rather than a title win for Bowl-A-Rama, because "CCK" had won the match.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think the best one I heard about Attack! doing was - and I'm going on memory so might have some of the details wrong - a match where CCK wrestled Bowl-A-Rama, but with each team dressed up as the other team. So, Bowl-A-Rama dressed as CCK beat Tag Team Champions CCK dressed as Bowl-A-Rama, but it was determined that it counted as a title defence for CCK rather than a title win for Bowl-A-Rama, because "CCK" had won the match.

Shades of The Conquistadors. They managed to lose the tag titles in a defence they won. Because they were Edge & Christian when they won them, and The Hardys when they defended them successfully against Edge & Christian.

17 hours ago, Carbomb said:

But instead of a belt, they should have the golden COS Lettuce!

The lettuce award should only be given to competitors who remain champion for longer than 49 days. 

I thought that World Wonder Ring Stardom was awful but Rossy Ogawa really out did himself with Dream Star Fighting Marigold.

Tajiri's old promotion Wrestling New Classic, sounded like the name of a tournament not a promotion. 

• Paid Members
On 5/15/2024 at 10:35 AM, Carbomb said:

I'd forgotten FCW, and AWW as well.

Really racking my brain, a name pops out from memory: Brandon Thomas. I think he was a promoter as well as a wrestler, but I never got to go to any of those Midlands promotions' shows, so others would know better than myself. I vaguely remember reading in a bit of a detailed post on here that there was some kind of falling out in one promotion leading to a split and formation of a new one - again, I think it might have been Kevin O'Neil - and I think Thomas might have had something to do with it. Can't remember who posted it, though.

If I recall correctly Kev O Neil ran the FWA Midlands shows but had a falling out with Mark Sloan / Alex Shane. 

A guy called Steve Logan ran K-Star Thai boxing gym and still does in Birmingham. He had a background in wrestling and appeared on world of sport once (there’s another Steve Logan who isn’t him who appeared loads) and used to have a wrestling school at his martial arts place but wasn’t that interested in it and left it pretty much to run itself (I did about 10 ring jobs for them and he only turned up to a show once when a wrestler had a channel 4 thing being made about him). 

Lee Massey (who wrestled as Heavy Metal Maniac) and his dad Keith used to supply the ring and PA for K-Star as Lee trained there and him and his dad picked up a ring at somepoint or converted a kick boxing ring. K-Star stopped using their ring and they then joined up with Kev O Neil to run some shows which went onto become FCW. 

Spud, Jack Storm and Dragon Phoenix shortly followed them over. 

anyway a short plotted history of the midlands scene in the early 00s. I came here in to post about another midlands promotion with a wacky name -

BRAWL - British Real Attitude Wrestling League. 

Which was the name the early FCW promoted shows used on borrow from the Northamptonshire promotion. 

• Paid Members

Thanks for that, that's superb.

Ah, BRAWL! I'd forgotten them, and for no good reason - at one point nearly every promotion was using the BRAWL ring (which was owned, I think, by Lucian the Lucha Killer, whom I had the pleasure of managing for one match in the FWA, in which he got squashed by eXodus).

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Thanks for that, that's superb.

Ah, BRAWL! I'd forgotten them, and for no good reason - at one point nearly every promotion was using the BRAWL ring (which was owned, I think, by Lucian the Lucha Killer, whom I had the pleasure of managing for one match in the FWA, in which he got squashed by eXodus).

I still speak to Lucian The Lucha Killer occasionally.  We went to school together and all the masks on his cape were mine and he still hasn’t given them back. I was well jealous when he got on an FWA show as that was holy grail back then. 

That ring was owned by Chris Peacock and MTX/Mikey The Pikey. They took out a loan in 2001 to get it from high spots and it took about 6 months for all the parts to finally arrive and about another 6 months to work out how it all fitted together properly. It buckled during matches more than once. 

I occasionally see it in clips and think how shabby it looked but was considered the best in the country. I remember a story that at Universal Uproar Kenta Kobashi walked out to the ring took one look at it shook his head and walked off. 5 minutes later Alex Shane came running out frantically tell the crew they had to go and buy some tape to re tape all the ropes. 

By around 2004 the loan had been paid off so all ring jobs were pure profit which is why it was used everywhere (plus Alex Shane’s influence) as they only charged 150 plus petrol and took 3 along to do it. 

BRAWL had already ruined every town they ran by this point but then started using Alex and any FWA wrestlers he suggested and they lost a lot of money. Also brought over Hammerick and Smothers for 3 dates and drew a total of 120 fans over 3 shows. 

Chris Peacock moved into promoting more all star style shows as SLAM wrestling after this using a mostly more professional set of wrestlers and did quite well for a number of years. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Version1.0 said:

There's an Australian promotion that runs hardcore heavy no ring shows called Dude, Where's My Ring?

So WCW Backstage Assault but in real life form? Not the best sales pitch.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, El Mistique said:

BRAWL had already ruined every town they ran by this point but then started using Alex and any FWA wrestlers he suggested and they lost a lot of money. Also brought over Hammerick and Smothers for 3 dates and drew a total of 120 fans over 3 shows

I went to one of those shows, dreadful business. April Hunter v Stephanie Scope. Dreadful. Smothers and Hamrick v Titan XG1 and Spatch. Worse. I remember watching all the other wrestlers fighting to get the best view of that. I still maintain that Titan XG1 is the worst wrestler I've ever seen. I remember saying that at the time on here and he came on very upset. 

18 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

I thought that World Wonder Ring Stardom was awful but Rossy Ogawa really out did himself with Dream Star Fighting Marigold.

Tajiri's old promotion Wrestling New Classic, sounded like the name of a tournament not a promotion. 

Wasn't Tajiri also involved in a promotion called SMASH, with nary a potato in sight?