Eurovision 2024: Malmö Calling

johnnyboy

Yeah there were some bits where it crept through, bits where it sounded like the piped in Premier League coverage crowd noise during Covid and bits where you could hear some appreciation. I think "mixed" is fair as it wasn't completely slaughtered. There are also the occasional dips in volume whenever Netherlands gets mentioned. Sound engineers are going to earn their fees tonight. Spain and Estonia getting the party atmosphere back a bit!

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Croatia, Finland, Switzerland, Ireland, Estonia and Spain doing the heavy lifting tonight.

Those are my exact picks too. Estonia really grew on me.

• Paid Members

I liked the French song, but the simple but cool staging would have affected that.

Tonight was the first time seeing Ireland. It was fantastically mental. Im surprised its doing so well, figured it would alienate a lot of people.

Surprised Spain is doing so poorly, maybe the lads in thongs were a bit much(?)

It was my first time seeing the UK too. It sounded like a catchy song underneath it all, but i dont think it was sung very well. The staging was interesting but I think it knackered him out.

Switzerland was a great overall performance, but song alone wasnt up to much.

Hoping for a win for Ireland or France.

• Paid Members
On 5/10/2024 at 8:27 AM, johnnyboy said:

Switzerland to win the juries, Croatia to win the televote, with Finland doing well in both to take the overall crown and so that we get the Moomin interval act we all deserve next year.

Two out of three ain't bad.  Stunned that Olly beat my Windows95man.

• Paid Members

What was the deal with Isreal getting 12 points in our televote and them nearly winning it, but clearly getting boos and political messages aimed directly at them all show?

Everyone online seems fuming about it but then where did all the votes come from?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, FLips said:

Everyone online seems fuming about it but then where did all the votes come from?

Standard view: they're very good at mobilising their televote around the globe.

Conspiracy view: they bot the televotes.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I imagine a lot of Pro Israel voters got a stick up their arse and mass voted. You could say bots but surely then they would have won. Or Russia would cheat to win every year.

I watch every year and have never voted. A small group with a cause could make a big number.

We probably have one of the largest Jewish populations in Europe too, shame many of them are (apparantly) okay with whats happening in Gaza. Lets hope its bots.

Edited by Rob Lowe

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, FLips said:

What was the deal with Isreal getting 12 points in our televote and them nearly winning it, but clearly getting boos and political messages aimed directly at them all show?

Among people who voted on solely political grounds, pro-Israel vote goes to Israel and anti-Israel vote gets split 23 ways plus people who boycotted it.

• Paid Members

The EBU guy had a rough time. They did a bit earlier in the night about how dreamy, handsome and beloved he was. That would have got a laugh any other year but not tonight.

The best was Netherlands getting a huge cheer when it was their time to vote, which immediately turned to thunderous boos when EBU guy popped up to give the votes because everyone from the Netherlands had fucked off.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Rob Lowe said:

A small group with a cause could make a big number.

We probably have one of the largest Jewish populations in Europe too...

Having a diaspora spread throughout Europe always helps with televotes.  For example, Lithuania and Poland have done well in the UK's televote in the past.