Final Matches

BomberPat

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Coming off the back of Sting going out in one of the most well-received retirement matches I can remember, and with a lot of praise for how he was able to retire on his own terms, I thought it was worth reflecting on what some legendary wrestlers final matches actually were, also tying in somewhat with the thread about wrestlers ages.

I thought I would look through the inductees into the WWE Hall of Fame and look at, according to Cagematch, what their last matches were. This means that if a wrestler has returned at any point after a formal "retirement match", that retirement is considered void, and only their most recent match is considered, rightly, their last match. Sorry Shawn Michaels.

• Andre The Giant

Andre The Giant, Giant Baba & Rusher Kimura defeat Haruka Eigen, Masanobu Fuchi & Motoshi Okuma - AJPW, @ Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, 4/12/1992

• Hulk Hogan

Hulk Hogan, James Storm & Sting def. Bully Ray, Kurt Angle & Bobby Roode - TNA House Show @ MEN Arena, Manchester, 27/1/2012

• Stone Cold Steve Austin

Steve Austin def. Kevin Owens - WWE Wrestlemania 38 @ @ AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, 2/4/2022

• Ric Flair

Ric Flair & Andrade El Idolo def. Jay Lethal & Jeff Jarrett - JCP Ric Flair's Last Match @ Nashville Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee, 31/7/2022

• Randy Savage

Randy Savage, AJ Styles & Jeff Hardy def. Jeff Jarrett, Kevin Nash & Scott Hall - TNA Turning Point 2004 @ Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida, 5/12/2004

• Roddy Piper

Roddy Piper & Bob Orton def. Mick Foley & Terry Funk - JCW Legends & Icons @ The Gathering Of The Juggalos, Cave-In-Rock Illinois, 12/8/2011

• Jimmy Snuka

Jimmy Snuka & The Patriot def. Mr TA & Brodie Williams - BTW @ Montgomery County Agricultural Fair in Gaithersburg, Maryland, 8/8/2014

• Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter & Jeff Starr def. Dalton Castle & "Man Scout" Jake Manning - NEW March Mayhem @ Sullivan County Community College in Loch Sheldrake, New York, 29/3/2014

• Dusty Rhodes

Randy Orton def. Dusty Rhodes, Texas Bullrope Match - WWE The Great American Bash @ HP Pavillion Arena in San Jose, California, 22/7/2007

• Terry Funk

Terry Funk & The Rock N Roll Express def. Jerry Lawler, Brian Christopher & Doug Gilbert - BTW @ Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg, South Carolina, 23/9/2017

• Ricky Steamboat

FTR & Ricky Steamboat def. Brock Anderson, Jay Lethal & Nick Aldis - BTW Return Of The Dragon @ Dorton Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina, 27/11/2022

• Antonio Inoki

Antonio Inoki & The Great Sasuke def. Giant Silva & Red & White Mask - Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2001 @  Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, 31/12/2001

• Shawn Michaels

D-Generation-X def. The Brothers Of Destruction, WWE Crown Jewel @ King Saud University Stadium in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2/11/2018

• Jim Duggan

Gursinder Singh def. Jim Duggan, Destiny World Wrestling Sunday Night Power Slam @ Battle Arts Academy in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, 12/5/2019

• Abdullah The Butcher

Abdullah The Butcher vs. Bull Buchanan - No Contest, GCW Southern Legends Fanfest @ Pell City Civic Center in Pell City, Alabama, 9/10/2010

• Mick Foley

WWE Royal Rumble 2012 @ Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri, 29/1/2012

• Ultimate Warrior

Ultimate Warrior def. Orlando Jordan for the NWE World Heavyweight Title - NWE Summer Tour 2008: Return Of The Warrior @ Pavello Olimpico in Barcelona, 25/6/2008

• Jake Roberts

Jake Roberts def. IamThePROVIDER - BBOW No Limits Pro Wrestling @  Eagle County Fairgrounds in Eagle, Colorado, 2/9/2018

• Kurt Angle

Baron Corbin def. Kurt Angle - WWE Wrestlemania 35 @ MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, 7/4/2019

• The Undertaker

The Undertaker def. AJ Styles, Boneyard Match - WWE Wrestlemania 36 @ WWE Performance Center/Filmed On Location , 25/3/2020

• Kane

WWE 2021 Royal Rumble @ WWE ThunderDome (Tropicana Field) in St. Petersburg, Florida, 31/1/21

One thing that struck me, aside from the obvious takeaway that very few people get to choose their last match, or have it be a heavily promoted retirement match, is that contrary to popular wisdom, very of wrestling's biggest stars ever actually lost their final match. 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

EDIT: Ignore me. I didn't read the dates. 

I remembering being at that TNA show where Hogan wrestled his last match. Bully Ray had his Liverpool shirt on and was ripping on United to try and get some cheap heat and it backfired spectacularly. 

Edited by Jazzy G

• Paid Members
Just now, Jazzy G said:

Is Taker's last match not that one against DX? Likewise Kane's? 

Nope - the DX tag was at Crown Jewel in 2018; Kane worked the Royal Rumble in 2021, and Undertaker had a run of profoundly weird matches after that - vs. Goldberg in Saudi Arabia, teaming with Roman Reigns against Drew McIntyre & Shane McMahon in a match that has absolutely disappeared down the memory hole, winning the "Tuwaiq Trophy Gauntlet" back in Saudi Arabia in 2020, and then the Boneyard Match the following month.

Kane also fit in a reign as 24/7 Champion, though under the name Mayor Glenn Jacobs, after the DX tag. 

DX Vs Kane and Undertaker in Saudi will never be topped. Absolutely incredible match. Taker and Triple H running into the barricade together, Kane's mask and wig coming off for some reason. No one catching Shawn's moonsault off the top to the outside.

Outstanding.

• Paid Members

Shawn's age is wrong surely?

It is interesting that the "New Generation" stars final matches tended to be a big showcase whereas the guys at their peak in the 80s would work just about anywhere for a paycheck. 

I guess its an indication of the money that came through in the 90s compared to that which wasn't as readily available in the 70s and 80s.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

I remembering being at that TNA show where Hogan wrestled his last match. Bully Ray had his Liverpool shirt on and was ripping on United to try and get some cheap heat and it backfired spectacularly. 

I don't remember it like that. I remember Sheik Bashir/whatever Daivari was called, on a previous year slagging off Man City and saying how stupid they were for thinking Kaka would sign for them, which did backfire as the United fans all cheered. But the majority were anti-Liverpool for Bully Ray.

Judge for yourself ;

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

Shawn's age is wrong surely?

I've corrected Shawn's age now, must have been an unchanged copy and paste job.

• Paid Members

yeah, I never really believed the Boneyard Match would be his last, and figured he'd get at least a quick squash at the first 'Mania with fans back in the audience. I don't think the pandemic era produced anything more cringeworthy or uncanny than him pausing for piped in chants of "Thank You 'Taker" from an invisible audience, even if it was followed by a holographic Paul Bearer.

The thing with Undertaker is that it always seemed that, left to his own devices, he was stuck in this cycle of "my body will tell me when to quit" followed by a bad match where his body very much told him to quit, but he responded to that by thinking "well, I can't go out like that, I need to go out on a better match", then he'd have a match he was somewhat happier with, so think he was good to keep going, then he'd have a bad match, and so on and so forth, repeat ad nauseam. What did him in, I think, was that Vince McMahon decided that he was retired, so it just wasn't up to him any more.

Yeah, That whole retirement ceremony was so strange. I just felt at the time, that nah, this isn't it, He's coming back, He hasn't even come back for run ins or chokeslamming some heel to pop the crowd, nothing. Apart from LA Knight last year, of course.

Edited by TheScarlettChad

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The thing with Undertaker is that it always seemed that, left to his own devices, he was stuck in this cycle of "my body will tell me when to quit" followed by a bad match where his body very much told him to quit, but he responded to that by thinking "well, I can't go out like that, I need to go out on a better match",

The terrible part for me was when, regardless of if the match was any good or not (it wasn't), he lost clean to Roman Reigns in the middle of the ring on last at WrestleMania and visibly left his boots in the ring as if to say "that's it"... only it wasn't. If I was Roman, I'd have been so pissed off.

THIS... should have paid off from the end of Taker and ushered in the greatest heel run of the last decade.

But thou SHALT NOT deviate from the plan. Which for some reason required Reigns to stay "babyface" and spend the next year constantly losing to Brock Lesnar. Fucking awful.

7 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

EDIT: Ignore me. I didn't read the dates. 

I was also there. Not sure if that was intentionally Hogan’s last match  but seeing as Manchester was perhaps TNA’s biggest show of the year in terms of gates (I would guess given the capacity), then maybe it was.