It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

12 hours ago, air_raid said:

One things for sure with this monster tag for night one, they’re finally going to make the real most of the event being spread over two nights, like some of the better two night Wrestle Kingdoms. It’s going to piss on that “stupendous” one.

EDIT - the graphics for Mania showing both dates across the bottom are funny, makes it sound like the match is happening twice.

IMG_3441.jpeg.ee4d5d5b1db3ac26953ce3a523e5f879.jpeg
FURTHER EDIT - I love how the crop means we can’t even see Seth’s Silver Medal. Only Drew cares about it at this point.

I presume this is a fan made graphic, as surely WWE aren't putting out something that says 'Seth Rollins vs Cody Rhodes' in the middle?

The mere thought that they considered doing that is rushing back seeing that there.

8 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I presume this is a fan made graphic, as surely WWE aren't putting out something that says 'Seth Rollins vs Cody Rhodes' in the middle?

The mere thought that they considered doing that is rushing back seeing that there.

There has only been a challenge from The Rock and Roman Reigns. The match itself hasn't even been accepted yet.

Love seeing this version of The Rock. I was thrilled when he showed up at Day 1 and teased Rock vs. Reigns. It's not even that I want to see THAT MATCH specifically, but I do want to see The Rock have one last fitting retirement match (and to see him wrestle live for the first and last time ever at WMXL). Also, the whole Bloodline/Head of the Table thing seems like a major step towards getting rid of Roman and his never-ending reign.

The problem is- Cody Rhodes. Never liked him. He's the face of the company, and I was tolerating him purely because he seemed like "the chosen one" to dethrone Roman. His matches (apart from HIAC) peak at "good" for me. His promos and character are insufferable. He feels like an insincere, robot politician trying to play the generally accepted, white meat version of a hero. That type of character has always rubbed me the wrong way. Probably the same reason I couldn't get on board with Bret until he shoved Vince on his ass and declared that it was all "bullshit!"

Not only did the whole "We Want Cody" thing kill Rock vs. Roman, but it appears the current direction is pointing towards Rock being a "double agent" of sorts and betraying the Bloodline, helping Cody to claim the big one at WM40. So I didn't get my Rock vs. Roman match, with him hanging out in a weird little tag match instead, and I've got to put up with bland Cody as champ still.

I'm fully aware that Rock vs. Roman wouldn't be a good match as far as workrate, star ratings, whatever. But they are stars with personalities, and could use whatever bells and whistles necessary for a big Mania match to work. Would have quite happily seen Rock barge in, replace Cody at Mania, and have Cody slink back to the upper midcard at best.

Sigh. It feels so weird to be entirely in the corner of the heels, and I'm gonna be sad again when the big Rock turn happens at Mania. Fuck your story, Cody.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

He feels like an insincere, robot politician

Absolutely, there's nothing more insincere than hugging blind fans and making a young fan's dream come true.

23 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Absolutely, there's nothing more insincere than hugging blind fans and making a young fan's dream come true.

I'm talking about his promos and character that he does on TV, not the actual person he is.

I'm sure there's a bunch of performers who, regardless if you think they're good or bad, are actually great people. I'm sure Cody is one of them. Look, in the same vein, John Cena. Does incredible work for Make A Wish. Doesn't stop him sounding like a soulless, corporate puppet most times he speaks.

8 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I'm sure there's a bunch of performers who, regardless if you think they're good or bad, are actually great people. I'm sure Cody is one of them. Look, in the same vein, John Cena. Does incredible work for Make A Wish. Doesn't stop him sounding like a soulless, corporate puppet most times he speaks.

I actually think he's far more believable than Cena. Maybe it's the history. Maybe it's the family. Maybe it's the journey. All of that together just makes me buy into who he's selling himself as today. Yeah his Codyspeak is a bit weird but a lot of promos aren't exactly spoken in a way any normal person would talk anyway.

I can certainly see why he's not to everyone's tastes but I get why so many have bought into him since he returned. There's a legitimacy there that I don't think Cena really had.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

For me, as a noted and vocal critic of "Cody Adequate Rhodes" in the past, it's as simple as I want him to succeed as both a bloke and as the top goodie on the show. For me whenever the product's at it's stalest, it's usually because there's no firmly rubber stamped "top babyface" for people to cheer for. Cody's that guy, and he's felt like that guy since virtually the moment he came back.

On a more personal level, I have huge amounts of respect for a guy that in the industry that has existed post-WCW, chose to walk away on his own terms with a new deal on the table, and returned as a far bigger star than when he left. He bet on himself, and he won. He proved a lot of people wrong, including myself. Is he my current favourite wrestler signed to WWE? No. But he's the hero we all need.

Edited by air_raid
tidied my post up because the grammar was incorrect, which you all know is a pet peeve of mine

13 minutes ago, air_raid said:

On a more personal level, I have huge amounts of respect for a guy that in the industry that has existed post-WCW, chose to walk away on his own terms with a new deal on the table, and returned as a far bigger star than when he left. He bet on himself, and he won. He proved a lot of people wrong, including myself. Is he my current favourite wrestler signed to WWE? No. But he's the hero we all need.

That's definitely a part of it for me too. I saw the guy a few times at live shows in his first WWE run. I wasn't that fussed at all. I enjoyed him from time to time, but he's not someone that I was desperately annoyed about when he got released.

I remember meeting him at Crystal Palace back in.. I'll say 2018 maybe but my memory is never good.. and you could tell (a) he was an incredibly nice guy and (b) he was working his backside off to make something of himself. I'd followed his journey here and there but I think that was the real first time I felt an actual connection to him and ever since I've wanted him to succeed.

It's all about time and the journey. I mean I'm sure I saw Hangman Page on the same show and I could not have cared less about him. Didn't really give him a second thought. If only I'd known what was to come.

Posted (edited)

Cody 'The Alien' Rhodes is many things but bland is absolutely not one of them.

Everything he is and does is a bit 'extra', as the kids say. If anything, I'd say the most compelling criticism of Rhodes might be that he's a bit much.

Bit still, it's not really about him. He was a cypher in many ways for years long frustrations with wrestling, where it actively discourages watching year round and engaging with the regular roster characters.

"Move aside Cody and his fans, it's time for The Rock and the vague hope someone who reads the ESPN website might convert to a Network subscriber, or a lapsed middle aged fan might return and buy a t-shirt"

I mean, it makes business sense but fuck off.

I want my League Cup squad to play in the final if they're the ones that got the team there.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz