Weird Occurences

If we're involving pets I'll share a recent occurrence with my dog. In the last few weeks my wife has bought a box of Poki for my son as snack. Both times after opening we've left them on the dining room table after opening to go out. The table is pretty high and all the chairs tucked well under. On both occasions the dog has managed to obtain and eat all of the Poki without disrupting the chairs. She's only about 20cm tall and is fairly chunky these days so we've not really got any clue how she gets up there as nothing else in the house causes this kind of miracle acrobatics. At some point we'll set up a camera to check what she's doing. 

About 20 years ago I moved into a house. On the second day there I was building a flat pack in the bedroom. I dropped one of the screws and I couldn't find it anywhere. Completely gone. It seemed sturdy enough without this one screw which was right at the end so carried on and thought I'll get a spare screw and stick it in later. Went about the rest of my day and went to bed. 

The following morning came downstairs and went into the corner of the front room directly underneath where I'd been building the flat pack. Laying on the floor, as if it had fallen directly through the floor and landed on the floor below was the missing screw. Hadn't been in that bit of the house since so hadn't been stuck to my shoe or anything. 

Never quite felt comfortable in there.

• Paid Members

Back when me and Mrs Scratch started dating around 1997, she’d gone to a club out of town with some friends. She didn’t have a signal so I text her goodnight and went to sleep about 10:00 sort of time.

About 3:30 in the morning I woke up and sat bolt upright, wide awake. I grabbed my phone and the moment I touched it, she text back to say she was home safe.

A complete coincidence, but it freaked me out a little at the time given the world was suddenly asking itself of radio waves from mobiles could affect your noggin.

• Paid Members

Last year I was alone in the flat as my girlfriend was away, and like a real wild child I stayed up to about half past midnight playing football manager . I was doing my evening ablutions when I happened to look at our towel rail, and saw it spring a leak from base, about a second after looking at it. It's an ancient thing probably from the when our flats were originally built in the 1930s, and it's connected to the mains. Our ancient mains are just 3 big boilers, with no way to turn off the supply to individual flats.

So I sat and watched the pissing water for a while whilst trying to figure out what could do. The leak was in such an awkward place, there wasn't anything I could do to slow it, or put a bucket or something down to collect the water. (Could have done with some sandbags...) All I could do was put towels around it and use one of those magic mops to soak up water and then empty it in the bath, but any time I stopped (to say, talk to an emergency plumber) the water pushed further out into the rest of the flat.

TLDR, all in all, it was a fucking nightmare, but I did manage to get a plumber out to fix it, after hours of mopping action reminiscent of an Olympic curling player, and I managed to contain it to the bathroom. If I hadn't recklessly stayed up way past my bedtime, and clocked the leak spring as it happened, the flat would have been fucked. 

39 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Back when me and Mrs Scratch started dating around 1997, she’d gone to a club out of town with some friends. She didn’t have a signal so I text her goodnight and went to sleep about 10:00 sort of time.

About 3:30 in the morning I woke up and sat bolt upright, wide awake. I grabbed my phone and the moment I touched it, she text back to say she was home safe.

A complete coincidence, but it freaked me out a little at the time given the world was suddenly asking itself of radio waves from mobiles could affect your noggin.

This is quite common - it’s the same thing as waking up just before your alarm goes off.

It’s actually a trick your mind plays on you as it comes out of sleep where it reorders events.

So what most likely happened is that your phone pinged which woke you up but in that state between sleeping and awake your mind reverses cause and effect.  It feels 100% real.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

This is quite common - it’s the same thing as waking up just before your alarm goes off.

It’s actually a trick your mind plays on you as it comes out of sleep where it reorders events.

So what most likely happened is that your phone pinged which woke you up but in that state between sleeping and awake your mind reverses cause and effect.  It feels 100% real.

Stop ruining peoples mysterious stories with your rubbish (but undoubtedly right) logic. 

We had a cat at uni, amazingly he didn’t die during our time in the shared house and was pretty well looked after. He was a great lad, very loving, used to claw at my door while I was trying to sleep off a hangover. The last time I saw him would have been 2006-7.

So anyway, uni finishes, life goes on. He gets adopted by my friend’s mum. I didn’t really think about him after a while, especially the last few years after having kids and whatknot. One evening last year I was washing up and suddenly started thinking about him again, very strongly, just all the memories come flooding back. My eldest came in and I started waffling on for ages about our old cat who was a total legend. Next day my mate posted on Facebook that the old fella had passed away. Wish I could have seen him one last time, but such is life. RIP mate.  

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Loki said:

This is true and the most likely solution, but there's also the coincidence factor - the old, "oh, I was just thinking about this person and then seconds later they phoned me, how weird", when the reality is that you probably thought about them a hundred times and then they didn't phone you afterwards, but there's no reason at all that you would have noted or remembered that. How many times have you woken up and looked at your phone and not received a text immediately afterwards, or woken up and looked at your clock and realised that it's actually ages until your alarm? Bloody loads, but they're not worthy of note. It would be weirder if the entire time you had your alarm set for that time you never woke up right before it, given that's the time your body is accustomed to waking up. 

I always think similarly when I have to be up really early in the morning for any reason, I always feel like I wake up during the night more, but I think the most likely explanation is that I always wake up a few times during the night and get back to sleep, but because I know that this time I need to be up at a certain time, I'm more likely to check the time every time I wake up, so I'm just more aware of it.

I Manage a Pub. We have several big screens and are popular with the local horse racing crowd.
A few weeks ago I noticed a lightbulb out in the snug, so I reached to take the bulb so I could see what replacement fitting bulb was required. The split second my hand touched the bulb, the power went out in the snug. Lights, TV, Fruit Machine all down. I figured I’d tripped a fuse with the light fitting, turned to realise the whole pub was down. It was a fairly busy Friday lunch time so the regulars found it fairly funny that I’d managed to cause the outage. 

Headed to the fuse cupboard, but in the meantime my Bar Staff pointed out that the whole street was down. Estate Agents across the road was in darkness, Cooplands were closing their doors and an alarm could be heard in the distance. 

The power came back on within ten minutes or so, and it turns out that most of the town and several surrounding villages had been down also.

I don’t think it was my doing that half of North Lincolnshire was plunged into darkness, but I still feel like I was in the middle of Mr Bean sketch! 

7 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

North Lincolnshire will be plunged into events more darkness if they shut the steelworks buddy. Mind you it will smell better. 

Hmm, Scunthorpe is fucked anyway. Where are you based? I’m not far from Scunthorpe, and will be suffering 90 minutes of National League North bleakness tomorrow 🙄😬

On 2/8/2024 at 1:41 PM, Rockbus2 said:

About 20 years ago I moved into a house. On the second day there I was building a flat pack in the bedroom. I dropped one of the screws and I couldn't find it anywhere. Completely gone. It seemed sturdy enough without this one screw which was right at the end so carried on and thought I'll get a spare screw and stick it in later. Went about the rest of my day and went to bed. 

The following morning came downstairs and went into the corner of the front room directly underneath where I'd been building the flat pack. Laying on the floor, as if it had fallen directly through the floor and landed on the floor below was the missing screw. Hadn't been in that bit of the house since so hadn't been stuck to my shoe or anything. 

Never quite felt comfortable in there.

You reminded me of a horrible habit I had and still have to a lesser extent (sorry UKFF this one does involve shitting). After getting married I had a tendance to fiddle with my ring, wedding ring that is. On this occasion I dropped it on the floor of my apartment. Now i'd done this before and easily found it on the the white tiles but this time couldn't see it anywhere. Spent the good part of 2 hours hunting for it everywhere in a 30sqm apartment  Eventually fearing I'd never find it I messaged my wife who was out to confess the crime and take my verbal tongue lashing. About a minute after sending and her seeing the message I look down and its right beneath my feat on the small rug. To this day I have no idea how I missed it. I'm sure there's a rational explanation 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, thicko said:

Hmm, Scunthorpe is fucked anyway. Where are you based? I’m not far from Scunthorpe, and will be suffering 90 minutes of National League North bleakness tomorrow 🙄😬

Just outside Lincoln buddy. Enjoy the game, its been a while since I've seen Scunny play live, always in the away end obviously.