Weird Occurences

• Paid Members

I'm not looking to go full blown tin foil hat here, I'm just looking for strange occurrences that happen to you, or someone you know. Don't worry an example is coming, but I'm not looking for a friend of a friend's mates grandad was bummed by Spring-heeled Jack. 

This morning I was vacuuming the lounge and I'd given it a thorough going over before moving on to kitchen, shutting the door behind me as I went. Half an hour later having done a few more household chores I went back into the lounge and found a big brown slug in the middle of the floor. I don't know how it got there, no-one else had been in the room, and there were no obvious slug trail suggesting where it had come from. So I scooped it up with the dustpan and put it under the front hedge. 

So unexplained slug in the seating area. I don't know how he got there or where it came from but it is weird just to find a slug with no obvious explanation. 

33 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So unexplained slug in the seating area. I don't know how he got there or where it came from but it is weird just to find a slug with no obvious explanation. 

This is like a lovely poem.

So unexplained slug in the seating area.

I don't know how he got there

or where it came from but it is weird

just to find a slug with no obvious explanation. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This is like a lovely poem.

So unexplained slug in the seating area.

I don't know how he got there

or where it came from but it is weird

just to find a slug with no obvious explanation. 

I don't know why Rashers, but when I read this it is in the voice of Morrissey singing an early Smiths song, and I've never been a fan of the Smiths. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I went back into the lounge and found a big brown slug in the middle of the floor. 

When i was a teenager I used to have a room that was next to a garden and I'd find random slugs in my room on occasion, it was disgusting. In desperation I patched up any areas the slugs might be coming in to but no matter what I did i would occasionally still find a slug in my room, no slime trail or anything, the slug just sitting there. The worst occasion was when one of the slugs climbed up my wall and slithered over a ticket stub I'd put up that I'd got signed by Ronnie James Dio and the slime actually dissolved the autograph off the ticket. This carried on for a few years until one day I caught my cat red handed bringing a slug into my room (presumably as a gift for me) so that whole time it had been my fucking cat bringing them in. Do you have a cat perchance?

2 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

The worst occasion was when one of the slugs climbed up my wall and slithered over a ticket stub I'd put up that I'd got signed by Ronnie James Dio and the slime actually dissolved the autograph off the ticket.

An Ozzy fan clearly.

A ceiling Slug? As someone that really hates slugs that is indeed a new fear to look out for.

Could it have come from the hoover somehow, been underneath and knocked off in the process of hoovering?

That reminds me of my old house, we had the washing machine in the kitchen and it was against the back wall so the garden/Decking was the other side of the wall.

The landlord wasn't the best (one for the renting thread) and the decking wasn't well maintained over the years prior to us moving in so after only about 6 months or so i put my foot through it, landlord sent someone round and he basically said its totally rot and suggested ripping it out entirely and building a brand new decking area.

The landlord decided its too expensive and just ripped it out and left about a 7 ft x 20 ft gap in the back garden which dropped down by about 2 foot from the level of the grass and rest of the garden.

Anyway to get to the point, a few weeks later I noticed a slug in the kitchen floor, next day another one, and it continued at one point we had 7-8 just sliding up the cupboards, on the floor, on the cooker 

We tried to put salt down all around the edges of the tiling to at least keep them under the worktops etc but didn't seem to work at first

Tuned out under the decking part of the house by the drain from the washing machine there was a slight hole/gap in the wall which had gotten damp now the decking had gone and they were coming in from that

We just threw as much salt down as possible and did the best to patch it up.

It seemed to work out as after a while we never saw them again 

Sorry that was a bit of a ramble of topic but the mention of slugs just made me shiver remembering the day we had loads of them in the kitchen at once.

Edited by MVP RULZ

• Paid Members

My friend Lynne hosts an alternate Christmas Day every year for the people in our social group who don’t have family to go to/can’t get home/have fallen out with relatives etc. One of our other friends, Amy, who *had* gone to see her family for Christmas, generously offered her house to use as a venue for Waifs and Strays Christmas this year. 

I joined them in the evening on Christmas Day and,  mere seconds after I arrived, Lynne said “tell him about The Fly”. I had previously house shared with Lynne and learned that she is deathly afraid of house flies. Fine with spiders, moths and most other bugs but cannot cope with flies. I assumed it would be a harrowing ordeal of her doing battle with a rogue fly, or that one had landed on her and she’d freaked out. Fairly normal stuff for her. It was not. 

In Amy’s house, proudly displayed next to her TV, is this ornament: 28E816DA-DA55-401C-B698-DF9A75509BE7.thumb.jpeg.826301117c581d945cacfa37f88b0b05.jpeg

Lynne had spotted this immediately and was, understandably, not keen on it. 

Our other friends, slightly drunk after a day of Christmas bingeing,  dared her to touch it. Obviously it’s not a real fly, so presumably no harm in that. Someone uttered the now immortal line “what’s the worst that could happen, it’s full of flies?” 

After some goading, Lynne investigated the ornament. The wings of the fly are on a hinge, allowing them to be lifted to reveal a small storage compartment. Lynne lifted ip the wings and, to her abject horror, the compartment was in fact filled to the brim with the corpses of many dead flies. Lynne shrieked and flinched and ended up knocking the big fly over, spilling the dead flies all over the place. Our other friends then had to very carefully scoop up the dead flies and put them back into the container, so as not to alert Amy, now a suspected psychopath, that the fly had been interfered with.  

So not a spooky one as such, but I thought it was an astounding set of coincidences that the only fly-phobic person I know ended up accidentally spilling the contents of a horrible fly ornament full of the corpses of many many dead flies, seconds after someone joked that it could be full of flies. 

Lynne chimed in at the end of the story with “it was the worst that could happen!” Which makes me laugh every time I think about it. 

Curiosity got the better of the group in the days that followed,  and Amy was eventually  asked about it on New Year’s Eve. She said “oh yeah I like to collect dead flies.” I don’t know what answer we were expecting but it was the only one available really wasn’t it? 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Do you have a cat perchance?

I have 2. Neither had been out or even downstairs since yesterday evening. They are a pair of lazy pricks, one has been on the bathroom windowledge since then, which is in itself weird and the other in her basket under my bed. It could be them, but they are not bringers in of other animals generally. The one that loved to bring stuff in had to sadly leave us in December after 20 years filled with half eaten mice, or live rodents deposited usually in the kitchen. I'm not tinfoil hat enough to believe that a ghost cat brought the slug in, but perhaps one of the others did. 

7 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

There is nowhere for anything to get through the ceiling, and is there a ceiling slug that I am unaware of that will now haunt my dreams?

They can come in through gaps in the outside like pipes etc, easy enough for them to get anywhere in the house from there. I had a slug fall out of a light socket in the kitchen, put the shitters right up me. 

Beware the ceiling slug.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

They can come in through gaps in the outside like pipes etc, easy enough for them to get anywhere in the house from there. I had a slug fall out of a light socket in the kitchen, put the shitters right up me. 

Beware the ceiling slug.

I'm never sleeping again.