Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

She looked 89 33 years ago. Great actress, great body of work. Good innings though.

Good swing of the bat or not, that's a huge cultural figure taken off the board. Her death feels 'significant' in a broader context.

I always feel bad for the family members of people like this who die, as it doesn't really feel like a 'personal' loss, it feels like a shared one. Which must be terribly frustrating when you're grieving.

• Paid Members

It definitely feels like the end of an era. She's one of those people who's always been around, so it feels weird that she's finally gone.

One of the true greats; one of those artists who had so many hits, you couldn't just point to one thing as being her indisputably best role. RIP.

Edited by Carbomb

16 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I always feel bad for the family members of people like this who die, as it doesn't really feel like a 'personal' loss, it feels like a shared one. Which must be terribly frustrating when you're grieving.

Depends on how they look at it I guess. I imagine for some there's immense comfort in knowing how loved they were and how much they'll be missed, but we all take things in different ways.

• Paid Members

She'd been in some huge movies and shows. 89 is a decent innings. It's a heck of a loss to the British entertainment industry. 

• Paid Members

My wife has been upstairs in bed ill all day, I’ve heard nothing from her until she shouted “McGonagall’s died” about 30 minutes ago. They don’t come much bigger than Maggie Smith, one of the few remaining greats. A huge loss.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, davertfnewman said:

Possibly not her biggest film, but the thing I default to thinking of her in is A Room with a View

For me, it's as Thetis in Clash of the Titans.