AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

1 hour ago, digforvictory said:

Heel Mox going on a reign of terror as World Champ with nobody able to stop him until a certain Mad King returns? Oh i'd love to see that.

Darby will surely be the wrestler to end his reign of terror, they’ve been setting this up for a long while - turning Moxley into the one for Darby can’t topple…until he does.

I can’t figure out for the life of me how Christian Cage ties into this, though. Does Darby, eventually, beat Moxley, only for Christian to cash in immediately? When exactly does that contract expire, have they said?

• Paid Members

I'm pretty certain that no matter what Christian Cage's eventual cash in will fail and will lead to an angle for him with someone else.

My guess is we'll go Danielson-Mox-Darby and then maybe hopefully Hangman who drops it back to Swerve to end their story. I hope that's how it goes anyway. 

19 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm pretty certain that no matter what Christian Cage's eventual cash in will fail and will lead to an angle for him with someone else.

You might be right, but I have to say, I’d love to see him hold the World title at some point during his AEW run; he’d be so much fun as World Champion, I reckon. But AEW has a crowded field when it comes to effective heel characters right now - Moxley, Hangman, Okada and Christian all have fantastic title runs in them, but there’s potentially a limited window for each one, they all happen to be red hot at the same time. Moxley/Darby for the title could be huge, but Hangman/Omega for the belt would be even more exciting. It’s a good problem for AEW to have.

I didn’t say this in my initial post - but I’m delighted to see the FTW title retired. Now let’s unify some of the other secondary belts.

Edited by RedTwoster

9 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

You might be right, but I have to say, I’d love to see him hold the World title at some point during his AEW run; he’d be so much fun as World Champion, I reckon. But AEW has a crowded field when it comes to effective heel characters right now - Moxley, Hangman, Okada and Christian all have fantastic title runs in them, but there’s potentially a limited window for each one, they all happen to be red hot at the same time. Moxley/Darby for the title could be huge, but Hangman/Omega for the belt would be even more exciting. It’s a good problem for AEW to have.

I didn’t say this in my initial post - but I’m delighted to see the FTW title retired. Now let’s unify some of the other secondary belts.

Absolutely, which makes me wonder why on earth did they feel the need to split the AEW and ROH trio's belts again?!

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

My guess is we'll go Danielson-Mox-Darby and then maybe hopefully Hangman who drops it back to Swerve to end their story. I hope that's how it goes anyway. 

What would be good would be that he's about to cash in and win, but then 'You think you know me' hits and Adam Copeland makes his return and prevents him winning it, but after his match has happened so he loses that contract.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedTwoster said:

I’m delighted to see the FTW title retired. Now let’s unify some of the other secondary belts.

Me too! I'm also glad they did it in such an understated way rather than being big and dramatic about it. It felt like the right way to do it.

As for the secondary belts I'm fine with the current number. They just need to be positioned on the card in a way where it's clear where on the pecking order they are. Is the International title better than the Continental title? Is the TNT title for up and coming mid carders or is it for main eventers? A clear hierarchy and suitable champions to fit that hierarchy would resolve most the problem I think.

10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Me too! I'm also glad they did it in such an understated way rather than being big and dramatic about it. It felt like the right way to do it.

As for the secondary belts I'm fine with the current number. They just need to be positioned on the card in a way where it's clear where on the pecking order they are. Is the International title better than the Continental title? Is the TNT title for up and coming mid carders or is it for main eventers? A clear hierarchy and suitable champions to fit that hierarchy would resolve most the problem I think.

It was kind of a nice retirement - absolutely the right decision, and it was a lovely way to close a chapter that clearly meant a lot to Taz.

As far as the singles titles are concerned, they all seem to be held by main eventers, outside of the TNT title (although Jack Perry did just co-headline a PPV) - personally, I feel like they’d be better off adding stipulations to any titles that exist. Maybe the Continental title is only defended once a year in the tournament, maybe the TNT title can only be held be wrestlers who have never held a singles title before or maybe the International title has to be defended weekly or something…I’d still prefer them to ditch most titles, but if they’re to stay, I’d definitely like to see them become more distinct. 

If they want to dump a title or two, they did set it up with last year's Continental Classic. Eddie Kingston adding his ROH & NJ titles to the tournament prize.

There's a horrible history of not keeping titles unified, but I can still hope this time round. Does anyone think with the year Ospreay's having he would want to miss the C2? Seems like the sort of challenge he would embrace.

Or maybe the TNT/TBS titles get dropped, although the TBS would be replaced. If its true AEW might be getting a show outside the WBD networks, having corporate branding of a competitor might be seen as a problem.

2 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Or maybe the TNT/TBS titles get dropped, although the TBS would be replaced. If its true AEW might be getting a show outside the WBD networks, having corporate branding of a competitor might be seen as a problem.

That’s a really good point that, weirdly, I’d not considered, or heard anyone else bring up. I guess they could just keep the belts off any non-TNT/TBS show, but I do wonder if that might encourage them to make some changes.

7 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

That’s a really good point that, weirdly, I’d not considered, or heard anyone else bring up. I guess they could just keep the belts off any non-TNT/TBS show, but I do wonder if that might encourage them to make some changes.

Its something that had to be considered when the belts were introduced in the first place. One day a change was likely.

If they were to do it. Then Mercedes is the perfect person to create a vanity title, then it just sticks. Then pure fantasy booking. Someone beats Jack Perry for the TNT title at Full Gear. Before Perry can claim his "contractually stipulated rematch" provided by the EVPs, the title gets put up for entry into the C2. The Final of the C2 is in Orlando where the winner gifts the TNT title to Brodie Lee Jr.

• Paid Members

I'd be quite happy for them to nick the old "option c" gimmick from Impact for the continental belt. You win it in the C2, hold it for a year but can "cash it in". The difference from the briefcase is a) you can't do it at any time and b) you have to defend it like any other belt.