Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted October 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 24, 2024 7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said: Hide contents None of us are seen as credible sources of opinion with a large following on social media. But you’re right on JLM Spoiler There are no credible sources of wrestling opinion on social media. There are only grifters looking for clicks and likes. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted October 24, 2024 Author Posted October 24, 2024 Spoiler Reveal hidden contents Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted October 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 24, 2024 8 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Reveal hidden contents Reveal hidden contents Most sensible thing said for a while. Quote
Guest Posted October 24, 2024 Posted October 24, 2024 I am working on the assumption that Kip Sabian has joined the Christian Patriarchy because Luchasaurus is a) out for a while, and b) coming back as a babyface, as enough fans will surely have a sense of what's up that they won't possibly boo him. As for the show, I thought it was mixed Fletcher started badly but looked faintly crazy by the end, in a good way, and he did keep me engaged. Brisco v Jericho was decent, and if you're going to beat Brisco, at least do what they did and have him clearly be the winner if it wasn't for Large William. Shelton will probably only look good whilst he's got little cruiserweights to bump to death for him. Good job he's in AEW, where the smallest bump. Pinochet and the Hurt Syndicate felt proper 2009 TNA to me. I'm generally fairly down on Shelton signing, I think he makes the company look small time as I don't think he has enough time left in his career to shake off the "couldn't make it in WWE" thing. I could be wrong, and I hope so, because I'm enjoying his matches I quite liked the Private Party stipulation. Beforehand I was thinking "well if the Bucks just beat them again then they're done, surely. They can't come back from that". Now they don't have to, or they can win the belts and lose them to the Callis family (although that's another set of heels...) I didn't watch Kamille vs Aminata, for what I hope are obvious reasons. But that's not what I want to talk about. Listen to me. I've been waiting for Orange Cassidy to do something since he lost the International belt (the first time). The Whatever,wherever guy needing to become the reluctant warrior, the Samurai who has sheathed his blade, the MAN WHO'S GOING TO TRY?!?! Yes, love it. Forget Darby Allin's terrible Sting cosplay. Forget Wrestling for Columbine. Let him go climb Everest, build a half pipe on top and stay there, coffin dropping into snow drifts forever. Make Orange Cassidy, the true workhorse, evolve into the main eventer he can be, build a coalition of him, Daniel Garcia and Hook. The point around evolution brings me to Adam Cole. He's exactly the same as he was when he debuted in NXT. He's a good worker, but nothing special, but his character work has stayed in exactly the same place. He just added a terrible catchphrase. Nothing's changed, not even the people he's in a storyline with. It's actually pretty remarkable how quickly he's gone back to stale having been gone for a year. Definitely a mixed bag, but thankfully the continental classic is coming up soon. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted October 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 24, 2024 (edited) This felt like AEW: The New Generation. A mostly cold product, hardly anything is really clicking to any significant degree, but you can at least appreciate them trying new things and pushing new stars. Moxley and Orange Cassidy remain the best thing happening. Assuming that’s the main event for Full Gear, they’re doing a good job building to Orange eventually snapping and stepping up. Red Cassidy! The Jericho match was just sad. All those risks and mad bumps for nothing. No-one benefits. Nothing changes. We’re exactly where we were a year ago. 2025 can’t come soon enough. Ishii looked like the shittest mate ever, letting Mark Briscoe get outnumbered and lose his belt, only coming out afterwards. Thanks for nothing, Stone Pitbull. Kamille looked fucking dreadful. Can’t remember the last time someone shat the bed on national TV this badly. Statlander must have been gutted watching the monitor, waiting to come out afterwards. She’s got her work cut out for her next week. Everything involving MJF, Adam Cole and Roddy Strong was dog shit. No time for any of this. Can’t wait for everyone to move on. Wardlow is definitely exchanging texts with William Regal. Fair play to Private Party. The renewed push is working. I didn’t even bother watching the pay per view match, I cared so little, but I’m quite invested in next week now. I assume they’re winning. Keep the belts nice and warm before Archer and Cage smash them through the ring canvas. Kyle’s Fletcher’s promo would’ve been great if it was at least forty minutes shorter. Shelton Benjamin looked awesome again. Hopefully all the weirdoes who want Brock Lesnar to return can enjoy Shelton chucking fools into the sky instead. So yeah. Nothing too bad. Nothing amazing, either. Got a real craving for a Continental Classic right about now. Edited October 25, 2024 by Supremo Quote
Cheeky Boy Posted October 24, 2024 Posted October 24, 2024 (edited) I keep meaning to post my Dynamite opinions on here, but run out of steam half way through. I've been reading all of yours for many years though. Feel a bit like a fan walking around backstage, trying to mingle with the stars like it's no big deal. "Dad, look, it's BomberPat!" Or a stalker. Not sure which is best. I really like the BCC intros to the show, and running threads throughout. I wish it was a bit more dynamic, rather than just "cut to generic AEW jobbers waiting" several times, but they seem to be going for that WWE 2000 "video package intro, build throughout the night, all peaks at the end" format. Worst thing for me about AEW for a while has been the general layout of "match/match/interview/match/rushed interruption of a backstage interview to make a match for Rampage/match..." format, so anything that breaks up the predictability is good for me. Also enjoying the build up videos before each match, which remind me of the early Dynamites. I might be remembering wrong, but it feels like those first year shows were largely just a series of build-up video packages followed by matches, with the occasional interview or big moment, which in turn felt big. I thought that worked well. I don't think a haircut has put me off a wrestler more than Kyle Fletcher. I've never been able to get past it. Whenever he's in a match, I just feel annoyed. If ever a haircut gave off X-Pac heat, if that's not too weird a concept, it would be his to me. His promos the last few weeks have also been appalling (Why....Kyle........ Why??) but I'm willing to give him a fresh start post-haircut. Maybe the haircut was a distraction to himself, and now he won't sound like a 00's e-fed'er? I think Jericho is the embodiment of that "Attitude era was great, but now when I watch it back it actually was not that great, because I'm not 13" feeling. I loved him in WCW, playing all of his comedy roles. When he went to the WWF, I hated him as a face and wanted him to go back to being the conspiracy theorist, gimmick stealing stuff. He's now playing a role that fits in with his WCW character - delusional and comedy-driven, but would it be that out of place in his WCW peak? I'd need to watch it back, but my gut-feeling is it's not all that different, and that comedy in wrestling has just moved on. I'm glad I finally plucked up the nerve to post a few thoughts amongst my posting heroes. Edited October 24, 2024 by Cheeky Boy Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted October 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 24, 2024 (edited) I hope this spin off show was part of the rights deal. Edited October 24, 2024 by JLM Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted October 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 24, 2024 Yes! He’s snapped! Freshly Furious, Orange Cassidy. I’m all in. Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted October 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 24, 2024 Also, welcome @Cheeky Boy very exciting when a surprise run-in happens. You're right to praise Pat in your opening post, he needs to be placated routinely or the plastic bag comes out. I may have said too much. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted October 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 24, 2024 4 hours ago, JLM said: I hope this spin off show was part of the rights deal. Get him out of the Don Callis family and bring in John “Biscuit” Cage as his new manager. Quote
Daddymagic Posted October 25, 2024 Posted October 25, 2024 That never ending Kyle Fletcher promo literally sent me to sleep. Why pair him with Don Callis just for Callis to stand there whilst he badly delivers a promo?? Jericho looked awful too. But I do like the Moxley angle, hoping they actually stick with it for a change. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted October 25, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 25, 2024 On 10/24/2024 at 6:00 PM, Supremo said: A mostly cold product, hardly anything is really clicking to any significant degree, but you can at least appreciate them trying new things and pushing new stars. I feel like it’s a show full of good ideas and some great ones - and with some relatively minor tweaks this would feel like a hot show. Firstly, Moxley - this is, to me, the best angle in wrestling right now; yet it still feel like it’s missing something that they might be too late to recover. Most of the people trying to stop Moxley are the AEW C-squad - the majority of the roster seems unconcerned. If this story was a bit more all-encompassing, it would be to the benefit of the company. Earlier this year, The Bucks were firing and suspending people. They were presented as the people behind the Punk footage airing - yet they’ve had little to say about Mox. Ultimately, everyone should be focused on this maniac and what he’s trying to achieve. The fact they’re not makes him feel like less of a threat. Next, Kyle Fletcher. His promo delivery isn’t awful, but my god, that promo was. Yet, with the potential he has and his tremendous in-ring ability, pushing him should be a good decision. Maybe he needs time in ROH to find a character, I don’t know. Still, arguably the top heel on Smackdown is Solo Sikoa. On paper, I’d take Fletcher over him any day of the week. I bring Solo up because he’s been involved in one of the company’s hottest storylines in spite of his weaknesses - they should book Kyle in a similar way. If he can’t cut an in-ring promo at this stage, have him appear in scripted video packages. Hide his weak points, rather than expose them. Finally, Jericho. I assume he’s won the ROH title because Final Battle is coming up and Tony Khan wants a good attendance at the show and a stacked card. I expect to see more ROH involvement on AEW television in the coming weeks as Tony tries to sell that show, but I really hope I’m wrong. Quote
The King Of Swing Posted October 27, 2024 Posted October 27, 2024 Thought that was probably the weakest episode of Dynamite in a while. Have no time for the Kingdom shite, they'll probably just turn on Cole, anyway. MJF needs to fuck off again. His "jump through hoops to face me" routine is beyond stale. Would have been more fun if the roles were somehow reversed, with Cole trolling MJF. Mox's crew/OC is probably the most interesting thing going on. Women's division feels ice cold to me. I'd probably be more invested in Anna Jay if she'd spent the rest of the year in Stardom before returning, instead of being just another filler defence. 5/10 episode. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted October 28, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 28, 2024 On 10/25/2024 at 8:38 PM, RedTwoster said: Firstly, Moxley - this is, to me, the best angle in wrestling right now; yet it still feel like it’s missing something that they might be too late to recover. Most of the people trying to stop Moxley are the AEW C-squad - the majority of the roster seems unconcerned. If this story was a bit more all-encompassing, it would be to the benefit of the company. I agree with this. It's good enough that it's highlighted the flaws of the rest of the show even. My late random Dynamite thoughts: - the BCC stuff is all really great and bringing some show wide cohesion to things which is long overdue and giving lots of people stuff to do. It still feels like they can do even more with it. - a nice touch at the end when Yuta put the chair round Taylor's ankle but Claudio pulled it off and put it round his neck. Clear visual storytelling of Yuta's role in the squad and the escalation of violence from his elder peers. - vignettes are good but it feels like there's just too many for my personal tastes. Do you need a Kyle Fletcher vignette before a Kyle Fletcher promo? No, you do not. - Fletcher's promo was too long but had some good stuff. Though I have a tendency to glaze over when New Japan is brought up. Fletcher works better as a heel to me - like Sammy Guevara he just looks like a 17 year old dickhead no matter what. - AEW doesn't maximise their minutes properly. Here they did a Fletcher promo then a Murdercage squash. Takeshita wasn't on this show but was on Rampage briefly. A better use of time would be to have the whole Family in the ring during Fletcher's promo, go into a 60 second Takeshita squash then have Murdercage beat them up afterwards. It would have taken less time but done more. - the ladder match was fine in isolation but this Jericho stuff is such a black hole and a serious problem. If they actually flipped roles and had Jericho as Big Bill's lackey this might actually work. You could frame it as Jericho leeching off Bill or Bill abusing and using an old veteran for his personal gain. But alas, we are stuck with this. - the Kamile stuff weirdly felt almost like a vehicle to get Aminata over rather than promo Statlander/Kamile. Match was pony with Kamile looking decidedly unpowerful. The vignette suggested Statlander/Kamile was a match between two super athletes - well build it that way then! Have a segment called Feats of Strength were they compete in weightlifting, tug of war and arm wrestling before they actually have a proper match. Have Mercedes on commentary for it freaking out. Proper build up rather than this lazy shit. (Please hire me, Tony!) - how many heel factions and recruitment angles going on right now? Too many! - House of Black on Dynamite had me excited for an actual proper angle for these guys. Using it to build up Buddy vs Cole is so fucking shit. That match is going to suck, Buddy is 3 times the size of Cole so totally unbelievable that he could lose (which he will) and just a massive waste. - this Cole/Strong/MJF shit is dead on arrival. I don't want to see any combination of any of it. I don't care who wins 3 matches first. I don't want to see either face MJF at Full Gear. Worst story in wrestling right now. - I think years of stop start booking was doomed to catch up on AEW eventually. It feels like that is now. Most the roster is ice cold. A booking formula based around building someone for a few weeks to lose to an established star (who doesn't move up the rung from where they are) then putting them on the shelf before doing it again a few months later is really not a winning formula for building up your roster. - this Hangman/Jay stuff is fine I guess. Feels like treading water for both men. They need to escalate it for it to feel meaningful. - the general production/presentation needs a big change up. Decades of WWE TV has convinced so many people that wrestling can only be presented one way. They need to come up with their own look and way of doing things. So much weird dead air and bad WWE style production of backstage stuff. I'd like them to adopt the look and feel if their online stuff to the TV product. Make it more realistic and gritty looking, copy mainstream sports, experiment. The current vibe just doesn't have any juice at all. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted October 28, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 28, 2024 11 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: the ladder match was fine in isolation but this Jericho stuff is such a black hole and a serious problem. If they actually flipped roles and had Jericho as Big Bill's lackey this might actually work. You could frame it as Jericho leeching off Bill or Bill abusing and using an old veteran for his personal gain. But alas, we are stuck with this. I actually love this idea, has it ever been done before? I can’t recall something like this, but it’s a great idea. It’s always the younger star being manipulated by the older wrestler before turning babyface - I can’t think of an example of the opposite (or similar to the opposite). But it’s a great idea. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.