UFC 297: Strickland vs Du Plessis - Jan 20 🇨🇦

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, NeverYield said:

I can see Strickland winning if he drags DPP into deep waters. Much easier said than done, but he has got a style that can be hard to engage with, who knows. 

Deep waders? What are we doin here B? DDP? Great guy, never med him

• Paid Members

Im fairly certain DDP knocks Strickland out within the first 2 rounds. Strickland standing in the pocket and pressing forward against a reckless and unconventional power puncher like DDP just seems like a recipe for disaster.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Im fairly certain DDP knocks Strickland out within the first 2 rounds. Strickland standing in the pocket and pressing forward against a reckless and unconventional power puncher like DDP just seems like a recipe for disaster.

Here's hoping Egg 🤞. Need to start this year off right. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I want to think the same although part of me can see it going the way Edwards/Colby went. Strickland being disciplines and technical, taking an increasingly tired DDP to a decision win. 

Strickland is in incredible shape for this one. Du plessis needs to dive on Strickland early and keep the pressure on, if Strickland can weather the storm I feel he can piece du plessis up and get the win. None of us can be 100% sure though and that's why we watch it.

Shortest presser ever man. Sean Strickland has gone from saying if he ever says what he said again he will stab him to being really respectful and saying je wants a deathmatch and stand up fight to the death bit of a turn but fair enough this fight has got me pretty pumped up tbh 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Sean Strickland has gone from saying if he ever says what he said again he will stab him to being really respectful

This is what a bully does when they are scared

• Paid Members

Strickland’s made a total arse of himself in the run up to this fight. No surprise there. Business as usual for him. But he’s such a fucking hypocrite it’s unreal. In the past he’s ripped into multiple fighters on a personal level, bringing wives and families into it, used the death of a young female MMA fighter to be edgy and get attention on social media, made fun of the death of ex UFC fighter Felipe Colares, joked about raping Kevin Holland if they were in prison together, constantly goes after gay/trans people to the point I’m convinced he must’ve dabbled in the past. Just endless shite. I’m sure there’s loads I’m forgetting. But then DDP brings up Strickland’s dad beating him as a kid and suddenly it’s off limits, he’s almost crying on podcasts about it and he’s threatening to stab Dricus if he brings it up again? I’m not for one second saying him suffering abuse from his dad isn’t awful. But if you’re gonna relentlessly go after people and bring up personal stuff all the time the way he does, at some point someone’s gonna give it back. He’s a right fucking wet wipe. And like Neil says, it’s typical bully mentality. Always dishing it out but the second someone plays him at his own game, he has a meltdown. 

It almost feels like we’re reliving the Covington convos from the build up to 296 last month. Just pathetic shit. If this type of stuff is the only way you can stay relevant and/or get attention then you’re a fucking loser. The only difference between him and Covington is at least he actually fights and doesn’t just sit on the sidelines for years at a time waiting to be gifted undeserved title shots. And when he did get his underserved title shot, he won the thing instead of choking like Colby did 3 times. But Strickland is rotten. If I wasn’t fully aware what a cesspool a lot of the MMA fanbase is, I’d be shocked he has any fans. But sadly, knowing a lot of the vermin that follow this sport, it’s not surprising they’ve latched onto this wanker. 

• Paid Members

It’s gonna be rotten either way. And it’s probably headlining UFC 300. Either Strickland vs Izzy 2 or Dricus vs Izzy. Regardless, the build ups to those fights are gonna be putrid.

Anyone else miss when PPV fight build ups were about who’s the better fighter? With this being the first PPV in over a month, and the last one being Leon vs Colby with the ugliness going into that one, it feels like ages since we just had a normal fight build up with trash talk centred around the actual fight rather than dead parents, Trump worship, anti LGBT rants, childhood trauma etc. I’m longing for the days of Ken Shamrock telling Tito he’s gonna knock his hair black at this point. 

Strickland is what he is. I've said it before, anyone who's looking for intelligent, politically correct personalities in cage fighting is going to have to look long and hard. Those types are few and far between. 

I get the feeling that Strickland is only saying what a fair amount of MMA fighters probably believe, but are smart enough not to say in public. I doubt the square-headed Dagestani beards that we see clogging up the sport are all signed-up allies to the gay and trans communities either, they're just smart enough to not say it. Or don't have a good enough grasp of English to do so. The deafening silence when Strickland says this shit speaks volumes in itself.

As a person, Strickland is a knob. No shock there. But what we shouldn't do is allow his reprehensible personality to cloud the fact that he's far from being a bad fighter. 

He's one of those fighters who's very good at a number of aspects, but a standout at none. Which, funnily enough, is a great recipe for success. It's the guys like him who see success, while the flashy-looking fighters who are great at standup or on the ground tend to fade quickly and get figured out.

He's got brilliant cardio, which on its own is enough to make a decent fighter very good. I've said before that his footwork is terrific. His defensive standup is top-notch, with a 65% defence rate, which is ranked top of his division, and his use of the fabled Philly shell guard is notable. His volume pressure boxing is probably right up there with the Diaz brothers, while his power isn't devasting, but is still going to cause problems. 

Throw in a takedown defence rate of 84%, and he's not an easy fight for anyone. He doesn't really have a glaring weakness that his opponent can take advantage of. 

DDP could very well beat him, but I don't really see anywhere he has a real advantage. This should be a close fight unless one of them manages to catch the other early with a good shot.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Dricus vs Izzy. Regardless, the build ups to those fights are gonna be putrid

The DrIzzy-ing shits

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

Strickland is what he is. I've said it before, anyone who's looking for intelligent, politically correct personalities in cage fighting is going to have to look long and hard. Those types are few and far between. 

This comes up every time and, while you’re not wrong, I feel like that kind of talk is a bit of a cop-out. Nobody’s saying they’re watching MMA specifically looking for intelligent, PC personalities. But when someone’s saying rancid shit like we’re seeing more and more of lately, it should be met with backlash and negativity. It shouldn’t just be waved off as ‘what do you expect, he/she is a MMA fighter’. What’s the alternative? Twats like Strickland can just keep talking shit about wives and dead people and spewing hateful crap and nobody even says anything?

The funny thing is, and going against my own argument, if everyone did do that, Strickland would probably eventually pipe down a bit because he’s not getting the reaction he wants. My main point was to highlight what an absolute pathetic manchild Strickland has came off as for throwing a tantrum because DDP was mean and nasty to him. After all the vile shit he’s dished out.

12 minutes ago, David said:

As a person, Strickland is a knob. No shock there. But what we shouldn't do is allow his reprehensible personality to cloud the fact that he's far from being a bad fighter. 

Nah fuck him. If anyone clouds that it’s Strickland himself. If there’s a reason why, on the fight week of his first title defence, no-one’s really talking about his fighting skills it’s because all the other bullshit that surrounds him overshadows it. And that’s his own doing. Nobody on here says he’s a bad fighter. I dislike him as much, if not more than anyone on here and, even as much as I loathe him, I’ve praised his performance against Izzy way more than I wanted to in the opening post. Credit where it’s due. But if he’s gonna spew horrible shit like he does, it’s gonna get talked about. It’s almost sad really that here’s a guy coming off an amazing underdog win where he became champion against the odds, and he’s such a desperate edgelord loser that the focus is on his silly bollocks rants. 

• Paid Members

I liked David's post because I agreed with the part about a lot of MMA fighters being smart enough not to air their views, and also that the Dagestani/Chechen/Kavkazi lot are probably just as horrendous (it's one of the reasons I don't like Khabib).

But aside from Colby and Strickland, I don't think anyone else has as consistently spouted such objectionable shit on a regular basis - even that wretch McGregor was known to reign it in for the odd match, and I don't think even he would have leveraged someone's death just to get "eyeballs". 

I'm fairly sure that, in any other sport, a competitor would be released for some of the stuff he's said, on the basis of bringing the sport into disrepute. I don't mean the political stuff - much as I think that makes them horrendous cunts, they should still be free to voice their opinions, much as I'm free to dismiss them as drivel - but the stuff about Lipp and Colares was bang out of order, and he should've been made to apologise for that. I'm not surprised that execrable turd White didn't do anything though - as long as it doesn't cost him money, he doesn't really care.