UFC 294: Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2 - Oct 21 🇦🇪

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• wandshogun09 changed the title to UFC 294: Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2 - Oct 21 🇦🇪
  • Paid Members

Yeah I came across that last night or the night before maybe, think it was through ESPN's MMA IG page. It's a video of Costa in the hospital and then at home, with a 3/4 circle of stitches all around his right elbow. Caption being, if I remember correctly, that the fight is in jeopardy. Jeopardy? You mean tantamount to a death row sentence if he were to step in there like that with Chimaev. Card's cursed lads. 

• Paid Members

Cormier’s teasing that the supposed replacement to fight Khamzat if Costa can’t fight will “blow everyone’s minds” or something. The name coming up most is Usman but it’s all just speculation. Can you imagine though? Swapping Makhachev vs Oliveira 2 and Costa vs Chimaev for Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2 and Usman vs Chimaev would actually be an upgrade on what was already a strong card.

I get the feeling the shitshow isn’t over yet though. What are the odds on Khamzat getting a decent replacement then somehow missing weight again, at fucking Middleweight, causing the undercard to properly implode? 

How are we seeing Usman/Chimaev? Will Usman get rag dolled? Will Chimaev catch him with something early? Will he break down Usman gradually over the rounds? All of my options are an Usman loss, I can't really see him doing so well on such short notice. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I’ve pretty much said the same in the opening post.

Also, thinking back to Usman’s last fight against Leon Edwards in London, while it ended up being a competitive and fairly close fight on the cards, I just remember thinking Usman looked really hesitant and flat for a lot of it. Understandable coming off that headkick loss but there were spells in that fight when he really looked more gun-shy than I’ve ever seen him. If he comes in like that here it probably won’t go well because Khamzat’s a fast starter and if he can get the upper hand early, I can see Usman going into a shell a bit and Khamzat might end up bullying him.

I hope I’m wrong and, with the lack of prep time, Usman feels free to just let loose and makes a good fight of it. But I think we’re really gonna look back on that headkick KO from Leon as the beginning of the end for Usman. He looked off a step in the rematch and now he’s jumping in last minute against a guy who’d have been a tough fight with a full camp.

Fair play to Usman for stepping up and if he pulls it off it’s gonna look like a masterstroke. But logically, it’s hard to see him winning this. He’s 36, with dodgy knees, coming off 2 losses, looked like he’d lost a step last time out, he’s going up in weight, he’s coming in on just over a week’s notice, against Khamzat Chimaev of all people. And let’s not forget, Edwards took Usman down and had his back for a fair chunk of the first round of their second fight. If Khamzat can do that it’s gonna be bad news. 

I genuinely cannot believe with our normal luck with UFC big shows and top fights falling apart and replacements this surely has to be close to the all time best outcome.

VOLK getting the rematch everyone has been so desperate for since the first fight then khamzat now getting fucking Usman the former champion and in many people's minds one of the goats jesus Christ I was already so excited but now it's another level.

I am saying volk gets the job done this time round and khamzat wins but I can't decide what way he gets it done but all I fucking care about is he does it and gets a title shot next which I've been saying he will be champion by mid next year and fuck me that is so good this has every potential to be show of the year 

I know this won't be popular, but I'm still not all that convinced about Chimaev. 

Back after his fight with Burns, I said the following:

No way he beats Usman though. People are rightly commenting that Burns was legit. He is.

And look at what Usman did to him. Chimaev is too easy to hit. Usman would smoke him inside of three frames.

While there are some mitigating factors such as weight difference, short notice and so on, I still fancy Usman to win. That Burns fight happened a year and a half ago, so it's easy to forget how it went down and just remember Chimaev as a steamroller. 

Usman has only lost to Leon, which has some people thinking that he's on a downward slide. Again, I don't think so. I just think Leon is that good. I'd pick Edwards to beat Chimaev as well.

• Moderators
On 10/13/2023 at 11:30 AM, wandshogun09 said:

he’s jumping in last minute against a guy who’d have been a tough fight with a full camp

But to be fair also a very different fight style for Chimaev to switch to on short notice.

• Paid Members

Don’t know if this is definitely what he said…but it sounds like it.

Never mind. Gaethje’s spoke on it. Hopefully this is all it is and it wasn’t a knee or something and they’re covering it up. 

IMG_9306.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09