Ruud Gullit’s Sexy Football 2023/2024 Domestic Only Thread

Mr_Danger

20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Saw someone describe the game as “The worst I’ve seen a team of nine play, and the worst I’ve seen a team play against nine”. Thought it was pretty spot on. An absolute mental match. 

I liked the description of "Conte made 11 players feel like 9, and Ange made 9 players feel like 11"

A mate of mine who went said upon leaving "I loved it! Can't stop smiling!" 

What a masochistic lot we are.

@Mr_Danger Just the 30 quid "loss" for me, as had Sonny and Maddison to have 2 shots on target. Now in a row with Bet365 who are supposed to null and void and return the stake if a player is subbed before HT. I will get my £4 back! Shysters. 

Slightly off topic but something ive been thinking about, and with how good last nights match was to watch. I know some don't like certain commentators and Neville can grate on people etc, but I must say in the era of VAR and everything I much prefer watching premier league football in the TV than in the stadium these days.

It's a controversial take and I've never wanted to conform to that "armchair fan" but I've realised the past few weeks/months that its just so much better. You know exactly what's going on, you see things you simply wouldn't see in the stadium, you can follow the game much better and pick up what's happening and if there is a VAR check at least the commentary are doing their best to explain what's happening. Yeah you miss out on the atmosphere, but you can be at home with a few beers and I'm always pretty lively watching games anyway. I went to Wembley for the cup final last year and we lost which obviously didn't help, but the whole experience was just awful, I know Wembley is shit anyway but I'd dreamed of going to watch Newcastle at Wembley for years but when I was there it just felt like I'd rather be at home/the pub. The bars around there are shit, they don't have enough to support 80000+ crowd's and obviously costs are a rip off

I had a Season Ticket at Newcastle from 2008 up until last season, didn't go much last year so sacked it off this year, and now even though we're good now and yhe next few years are going to be amazing, I don't regret it one bit, majority of our matches are on TV now anyway and the odd ones that aren't you can stream or I could get a ticket if I really wanted to. I miss the away days a bit but to be fair there's so many dickheads in away fanbases these days more interested in snorting coke that it ruins it anyway.

I do go and watch my local non league side regularly so I get the live football fix there, and that's brilliant but for Newcastle I just prefer the TV.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Doog said:

Was that the worse hat trick of all time?

I dunno, I rate it quite highly. Lineker would have been proud of it. In isolation, ignoring the fact that given the same chances Lineker would have scored about 12.

Lots of Everton/Man Utd etc fans asking me about the game today. I shrug and say "Just another day at the office." As Sir Alex used to say, "Lads, it's Tottenham." Only 3 of our outfield players that started the game were still on the pitch with a half hour left, when has that ever happened in a game that wasn't abandoned for descending into a full blown fist fight?

Perfectly in keeping with a team I've seen concede four goals and still win, score four goals and still lose, come third in a two horse race and, to steal a line, rather lose a game 4-3 than win it 1-0 for most of the last 35 years. To quote a great man, this is my club, my one and only club.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

spacer.png

This is just utterly hilarious. I'd rather watch a whole season of this than Conte. We would have still lost but we'd have camped in our own box for 60 minutes.

Absolutely this.

I’d totally lost interest and couldn’t even watch Conte’s dross last season. If football is meant to be first and foremost entertainment, then he was failing miserably.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

If it’s any consolation, Spurs being shit cost me £256. Null and void it I say and replay the game.

4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Just the 30 quid "loss" for me, as had Sonny and Maddison to have 2 shots on target. Now in a row with Bet365 who are supposed to null and void and return the stake if a player is subbed before HT. I will get my £4 back! Shysters. 

Rookies. I think it speaks volumes how much faith I have in this side that I cashed out at about the 85 minute mark. I think I was still short a corner or two at this point and it looked like Chelsea were going to sit back (and concede an equaliser obv).

Screenshot2023-11-07at16-24-23OnlineSportsBettingOddsBetOnlineatWilliamHill.png.c124abfc319da9edd014bfc76df61de1.png

• Paid Members

Football isn't meant to be entertaining. We pay good money to be bored shitless even if we lose!

In other news, Newcasoil are probably going out of the Champions League and their PSG hammering will probably mean nothing. Excellent.

Its a weird one because obviously we were never going to win it anyway so going out isn't the end of the world. We're going to be regulars in the Champions League now so this year was all about gaining some experience, and obviously with how stretched the squad is at the minute it was always going to be difficult.

Also, to be fair destroying PSG 4-1 is never going to mean nothing mind, it's a great highlight of the campaign and gave us a great night, of which there'll be many many more in the years to come, just not this year.

Edited by Doog

My MU supporting mate just said exactly the same thing @Devon Malcolm

It was a frustrating game, we had some good chances but Dortmund were the better team. The lack of depth is finally showing through, injuries and suspensions are taking a big toll. I don't think there's much cash left for any January signings but a couple of loans would be a big help.

Edited by King Mal the Glorious

7 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Are you?

I think so yeah - to qualify this year will arguably be harder/a bigger achievement than last year in some ways (though 5th place getting in will help) but there's no doubt we're on an upwards trajectory and I'd be mildly confident over the next ten years we make it more times than we don't.

Won't be easy of course but the squad is only going to get better and we've been playing very well for 2 years now so it's not some fluke.