AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Hologram is becoming a firm favourite. Even better outing tonight, wonder how popular he’ll be outside of Texas?

He’s certainly fun to watch in ring, but I hope they’ve figured out a character for the guy outside of having a light-up H on him. At the moment he’s very generic. Fun in ring, but generic. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

He’s certainly fun to watch in ring, but I hope they’ve figured out a character for the guy outside of having a light-up H on him. At the moment he’s very generic. Fun in ring, but generic. 

I think there's always a place for a flashy but basic, fun and colourful high flyer on your undercard. They're always popular with kids and live crowds. As long as everyone's expectations are realistic that there's not going to be much character work with him and he's likely not getting much further than where he is now that's all fine. You need solid, dependable and basic stuff to fill the gaps between the main featured acts.

I'm not a fan of the name Hologram or his outfit though. Pretty shit. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Hologram feels like a video game create-a-wrestler come to life. Everything from the look, the entrance, to picking all the flashiest moves and maxing out his high-flyer stats. Definitely a place for him on the show, but I don’t see him troubling the main event scene.

What a great bunch of lads. I like the Conglomeration. Not exactly a stable, just a unit of babyface that got fucked over by their mates and formed a support group over it. If you're going to book Jericho every bloody week, then you better book Mark Briscoe to cut outstandingly entertaining promos to level it out.

5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think there's always a place for a flashy but basic, fun and colourful high flyer on your undercard. They're always popular with kids and live crowds

I might be forgetting someone, but is there an example of that actually working in the modern era, when flashy wrestling is pretty much the default style? The undercard acts that actually get over typically have a bit of substance. It’s too early to write the guy off, but clearly I’m doubtful of his chances.

Edited by RedTwoster

I know the ROH Six Man Titles don't mean much, but you can always count on a 55 year old Dustin Rhodes making winning any title mean something. I also like that the Von Erich lads (even the shit one) winning a Trios title a good 40 years after their old man and uncles did the same. Lovely feel good stuff that. Dustin Rhodes still has it, absolute marvel of a wrestler.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

He's a little Glacier, isn't he? Can definitely move about the ring though.

So, not like Glacier? If anything he’s a little bit Sin Carra, little bit Axiom little bit WWE Jericho and a little bit Naomi in terms of presentation.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Thought Pac vs Lio Rush & FTR vs MxM Collection were both really good matches on this show.

The AEW booking team should really enforce a rule were there needs to be at least one in-ring promo on each episode of Collision, though. Otherwise it's just match-match-match-match-match and on a weekend when there's been as much wrestling as this, it starts to drag after a while. There should never be a situation where I'm looking at a Conglomeration tag match and thinking about fastforwarding it. 

I saw somewhere that Hologram is the first gimmick Tony Khan has completely created from scratch, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him get a good push. He's decent enought but like Supremo said, everything about him screams CAW.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

The undercard acts that actually get over typically have a bit of substance. It’s too early to write the guy off, but clearly I’m doubtful of his chances.

"Getting over" is such a difficult thing to measure because it's vague and varies so wildly. Do I think Hologram alone will be a ratings or tickets draw? No, probably not. But if you're formatting your weekly wrestling TV show and you find you've got 7 spare minutes to kill between say Toni Storm's segment and Christian Cage's promo then sending someone like Hologram out there to keep the energy of the show up and keep viewers attention with a flashy, fun sprint is absolutely worthwhile. Wrestling shows need that stuff.

And if I was seven years old for a few months I'd probably think Hologram was the best wrestler in the world. And that's worth investing in too.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

was seven years old for a few months I'd probably think Hologram was the best wrestler in the world. And that's worth investing in too.

Not in the key demo brother. I thought he looks like every other luchadore and wrestles like every other masked wrestler they have. 

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So, not like Glacier? If anything he’s a little bit Sin Carra, little bit Axiom little bit WWE Jericho and a little bit Naomi in terms of presentation.

Exactly like Glacier.

But no, I meant the build to him finally showing up and then being.. kinda goofy. I dig it as a fun lower wrestler if they go a little further with the gimmick, he can be everything Max Moon had the hilarious potential to be.

• Paid Members

He's going to be a good flashy opening/midcard guy who can pick the crowd up with his dynamic high flying offence. A perfectly acceptable 7 minutes of match that you'd have to be as miserable as Cornette to not appreciate him in that role.