Genealogy

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

This might die on its arse, but I wonder whether any other Keffers have ever looked into their family history or done an Ancestry DNA test (or similar) in the past?

I got my results back the other day, which were fascinating, and I've had a message from somebody in South Carolina asking how I was related to his grandma. (Her great grandparents are my 5x great grandparents.)

• Paid Members

Haven’t ever properly looked into it but very much interested to learn more about my origins. My father was actually adopted and I don’t think ever managed to get back in touch with his biological parents and consequently my biological grandparents, who I’m sure are long gone which might make it tougher to track down. I believe on my mum’s side there’s hints of both French and Irish. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Haven’t ever properly looked into it but very much interested to learn more about my origins. My father was actually adopted and I don’t think ever managed to get back in touch with his biological parents and consequently my biological grandparents, who I’m sure are long gone which might make it tougher to track down. I believe on my mum’s side there’s hints of both French and Irish. 

Similar to this, my ex never met her Dad and he is now dead, so there is this whole paternal side to her, and my children, that we just don't know about.

It didn't hit home for me until we had children and were asked things like "Any history of *insert medical condition*" as we had no idea of a whole part of her DNA (and her Mum refuses to discuss) 

But her maternal grandfather has spent about 20 years researching their family tree (his own work, none of these websites) and has made it back to around 1750 for some parts I believe, which is incredible. 

Considering her family were predominantly Spanish, Portuguese and British, who then lived in Burma, fled during the war, and ended up after in England, Australia and the US (with some Irish marriages in there somewhere) he has done well, and it makes for fascinating reading for the kids (choice of countries to represent as well innit?)

I asked my Dad once who confirmed our family once were pig farmers (and fairground workers on my Mum's side from Wales) so if you want a roast pork bap on a waltzer, I'm your man apparently. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Long line of pig farmers. Obviously. 

Don't trust those DNA websites or whatever one bit.

I think Sean O'Haire must have interfered in it from beyond the grave as it wasn't telling me anything didn't already know about just from what my mum's told me and the etymology of my surname, and I also understand that the "ethnicity regions" are all based upon where other people who had similar DNA tests are found, as opposed to your actual genetic makeup. There were tens of thousands of matches, although most of them are like 1% similar DNA so doesn't really count for much of anything.

• Members
6 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think Sean O'Haire must have interfered in it from beyond the grave as it wasn't telling me anything didn't already know about just from what my mum's told me and the etymology of my surname, and I also understand that the "ethnicity regions" are all based upon where other people who had similar DNA tests are found, as opposed to your actual genetic makeup. There were tens of thousands of matches, although most of them are like 1% similar DNA so doesn't really count for much of anything.

So it was pointless?

• Paid Members

As I mentioned in the woke thread I have done quite a bit of research into my mum's side of the family. It was easy enough after getting past the initial hurdle that none of the sly bastards used their real first names. We come from a long line of fen monkeys, My grandma's family have worked on the land or in associated trades and can be traced back to 1640. in 380 odd years they have managed to move about 30 miles along the A17 from Spalding towards Sleaford. The only ones in the past who escaped that were my great uncle George (Real name Arthur) who was in the Royal Navy for 22 years and retired to run a B&B in York and two other great uncles who did not fair as well, both killed in WW1 and buried in Belgium and France respectively. Jack (Real name William) was killed two days before the armistice in 1918, when his squad were sent to flush out a German machine gun post, only the Lieutenant survived the attack and he was badly wounded.

My grandad's side of the family are a long line of blacksmiths, traced back to 1750. My 2xgreat-grandad used to work for Butlins on contract and would shoe the horses used at each camp, he was also a tremendous friend of the publican and was in the local paper under the headline "21 Today" after his 21st arrest for drunken disorderly. My great-grandad was also a blacksmith and publicans friend, he was run over and killed whilst drunk in the street during an air raid in Hull in 1943.

My dad's side of the family is much more complicated, and will have to be saved for another time when I have more time.

• Paid Members

I've managed to find loads on my mum's/gran's side of the family who were mostly from around here, but also from yorkshire and up in the Lake District/Cumbria, but also distant cousins in Australia, Africa and North America. I can't get too far into my matrnal grandad's side as he was born in a tiny little village in the arse end of Hungary.

My dad's side shows nothing much either, although I don't know a whole lot about that side. I should try and have a talk with one of my older sisters..

4 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Can we just confirm that they are two different people as I don't need to think of Don jiggling about in a leotard in The Firebird

The Nutmaga, GOPeilia. I’ll leave it at two because three will summon Him. 

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

This. They're pretty much a scam I believe.

This has got to be one of the easiest scams ever. Just tell everyone they are related to say Lady Gaga or Barack Obama. Provide fuck all proof. Charge them £100 each.

They then get to boost to their neighbours like they are famous too.