Dragon Lee signs with WWE

Nick James

AAA seems so messy whenever they pop up on the radar. FTR finally drop the tag titles, only for one of the new champions to be offski.

Still promoting Tay & Sammy on their promo materials when Tay has been announced for Dynamite for the past week. Mixed Tag Titles were vacated on the show.

Vikingo recently allowed to do US Indies. Gets a ton of bookings as the main attraction. AAA to promoters week of the first shows "You can't stream the matches live or on demand".

As for Dragon Lee hopefully he got a good deal, as AEW should have had some interest in him. Absolute worse case scenario he'd be a solid mid-carder for some fun matches.

16 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm a little surprised he didn't join his brothers, Dralistico I'm not sure if he's properly signed to AEW but Rush definitely is.

Could it be a case of him thinking he has more chance of standing out in NXT and making a name for himself? Vs the numerous guys they have in AEW and probably struggling to get a high profile position there. When you've already got guys like Pentagon and Fenix who have often dipped in and out of prominence , and newer guys like Rush and Bandido, I can see why he might want to take a chance under the new regime over at WWE/NXT.

Cubsfan tends to be one of the better reporters on Lucha goings on.

http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/2022/12/28/dragon-lee-has-signed-with-wwe-to-start-in-february/

Former CMLL, NJPW, and AAA luchador Dragon Lee has signed with WWE, according to ESPN. I had previously been told Dragon Lee would start in February; ESPN’s report says January. WWE’s begun producing introductory videos. 

WWE has been aware of Dragon Lee for a while but made no recent move to sign him until he appeared on the August 17th AEW Dynamite. (Dragon Lee appeared as part of a ‘House of Dragon’ promotion, which may have meant more for him than it did that show.) WWE reached out to bring Dragon Lee and his older brother Dralistico in for a tryout quickly after that appearance. WWE passed on Dralistico (see note below),  brought Dragon Lee back for a second tryout, and offered him a deal. Dragon Lee accepted, and the deal was official earlier this month.

(Edit: After posting the story, an additional source contacted me to disagree that Dralistico had a WWE tryout, saying they believed it was only Dragon Lee who tried out recently.)

Dragon Lee was not under an AEW contract for his Dynamite appearance. I believe he worked with AAA as a non-contracted freelancer, which is common in Mexico. Dragon Lee’s most recent contract was with Ring of Honor, which expired at the end of 2021.

AEW never continued up on the Dragon Lee/LFI storyline and has yet to mention Dragon Lee much recently despite his two brothers teaming there. Dragon Lee last wrestled in on the 12/02 Arena Neza show and has no known bookings past tonight’s AAA Noche de Campeones show. KAOZ Lucha Libre, where Dragon Lee and Dralistico are champions, is advertising Dralistico and only Dralistico for their February show. 

Dragon Lee notified AAA of his status well in advance of this show. FTR was also finishing up with AAA on this show, so AAA went with Hermanos Lee getting the win and immediately vacating the belts.

(I have no information on if Dragon Lee will continue to wrestle masked or what name he’ll wrestle under.)

Dralistico’s recent AEW appearances appear connected to Dragon Lee’s WWE deal. Dralistico left CMLL in 2021 with a plan of teaming with his brothers, mostly Dragon Lee. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter previously quoted an AAA source saying Dralistico asked out of a singles tournament because he only wanted to do matches where he teamed with his family. WWE accepting Dragon Lee and not Dralistico ended that plan. Dralistico joining LFI in Mexico and AEW appears to be his new idea. Rush convinced AEW to give Dralistico a tryout, and both brothers have heavily hinted on social media that AEW’s signed Dralistico. AEW hasn’t confirmed that story as accurate.

20 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Oh god. I just decided to Wikipedia these guys to try and understand who is who and got all the more confused when Dralistico used to be Dragon Lee and Mistico and now I've got a headache.

To add/confuse/explain a bit. Dralistico was not the original Mistico that became the original Sin Cara. He was that guy's replacement.

I wonder if this is the beginning of  the end of AEW/AAA partnership. 

The NXT twitter has posted a video of Dragon announcing the move whilst wearing the tag belt. 

AAA are wishing him well, Tay and Sammy have been stripped of the mixed tag belts after Tay was booked by AEW for last night despite the pair being advertised for the show last night. 

Add the AEW/New Japan stuff and CMLL being still friendly with Njpw and Konnan being critcial of AEW on Keeping it 100 (according to twitter) and I wonder if things are over between AEW and AAA

10 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

I wonder if this is the beginning of  the end of AEW/AAA partnership. 

The NXT twitter has posted a video of Dragon announcing the move whilst wearing the tag belt. 

AAA are wishing him well, Tay and Sammy have been stripped of the mixed tag belts after Tay was booked by AEW for last night despite the pair being advertised for the show last night. 

Add the AEW/New Japan stuff and CMLL being still friendly with Njpw and Konnan being critcial of AEW on Keeping it 100 (according to twitter) and I wonder if things are over between AEW and AAA

What's perhaps going on as seen in Japan is that the WWE are more willing to work with other companies outside of an exclusive relationship. Other than announcing the signing i'm not sure there will be much more involvement beyond that. Unless WWE did the NXT Mexico idea by simply buying AAA.

AAA still has ties to Penatgon, Fenix, RUSH (kinda Dralistico depending on how that goes I suppose), and Bandido who are within AEW. As well as using other non-Mexican talent over the years. I don't see the AAA/AEW changing much beyond what it has always been.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is this like when AC Milan signed Luther Blissett because they thought he was John Barnes?

Or when WWE signed the wrong one-legged wrestler?