Album Of The Day Thread

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Was thinking about how I've not listened for quite some to whole albums, because of Youtube, streaming, etc. It's saddening for me, because most Mike Oldfield albums are meant to be listened to in their entirety - the one I was particularly wistful when I realised I hadn't properly listened to it for ages is MO's The Songs of Distant Earth.

This also got me thinking: what are my favourite whole albums ever? The first one that always comes to mind when that question comes up is Paul Simon's Graceland. There isn't a single song there that I don't love.

Post yours, one a day. Given that YouTube may not necessarily have it, post whatever means you can think of. 

Paul Simon - Graceland

Went back and listened to The Streets first two albums recently, and whilst I love Original Pirate Material, I would put his second album A Grand Don't Come For Free, up against any album.

Brilliant storytelling (Blinded By The Lights is just amazing) and ended with Empty Cans, which is an uplifting end, and a story that actually keeps you interested.

Even Dry Your Eyes which I used to loathe, is a really lovely pop song, when removed from the lens of it being bloody everywhere when it came out.

Concept albums are hard to do well, but when done well, they're so rewarding. 

I love it. 

• Paid Members

A Grand Don't Come For Free is the best story I've ever heard in the form of an album. Ingenious and the payoff

Spoiler

during Empty Cans when his mate finds the money down the back of the telly is incredibly emotional. 

Great thread idea!

I often find myself listening to full albums on YouTube, as there's a lot of obscure country stuff from the 60's, 70's and 80's on there that I can't find anywhere else. Makes for great background music while working. 

I was going to link Warren Zevon's overlooked Transverse City here, but the bastards have recently taken it down, so instead enjoy Amy Rigby's lovely debut album, Diary of a Mod Housewife. 

• Paid Members

Nice!

Talked about Mike Oldfield at the beginning. Tubular Bells II is, in my opinion, the best of the trilogy - the first is obviously a landmark in music, and way more famous, but the second is stunning. It's more polished, has a more unified "theme" in its overall sound, and just flows beautifully. It's one of the few albums I can just sit, listen, and relax to without having to do anything else. (TB3 has some good moments in it, but in general it's just quite weak for a TB album - Oldfield made it in 1998 when he was obsessed with churning out trance-adjacent electronica and club music, and I don't think it holds up quite as well.)

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells II

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

This one's the reason (specifically the song A Couple Dollars) I went on a bit of a hip-hop odyssey in the last few years. Simply a beautiful, beautiful album.

Apollo Brown & Skyzoo - The Easy Truth

• Paid Members

One of the most atmospheric, and grandiose pieces of music I've ever heard. I always imagined that, if there was ever an epic film set in the Byzantine Empire, this would be the soundtrack:

Vangelis - El Greco