Your underwhelming "dream matches"?

air_raid

• Paid Members

What dream matches did you used to hold, or maybe still hold, that YOU'D love to see, but you know full well that other wrestling fans would probably go "Eh? Really?" Like, not the played out, boring, "God, Lesnar vs Batista would be epic" or "What if Austin wrestled Goldberg with Taker vs Sting underneath?" stuff, but the stuff only you would want to see?

Example : for a long time during Shelton Benjamin's first Intercontinental title reign, which came not long after the first TNA Turning Point, I was convinced that Shelton vs Elix Skipper would have been brilliant due to the athleticism of both me. Looking back now..... eh.

As of today, I've come across one. So, the first major run Marc Mero had in the WWF was with Hunter Hearst Helmsley over, of course, Sable. They were separated when Hunter was doing his little stint in purgatory, then reunited over the Intercontinental title and (briefly) Mr Perfect betraying the Wildman, right up until a final match on Raw on the eve of Goldust challenging for the belt, when Hunter pinned Mero convincingly. I found myself wishing that this shared history had reappeared after Mero's return from injury and reinvention. Marvellous Marc Mero, beloved crotch-chopping Super Soaker wielding DX front man Triple H, and zeppelin-chested calendar girl Sable were all TOTALLY different characters to the previous run a little over a year prior and I'd have liked to see them resume hostilities for a month on TV, harkening back to how they'd always been enemies, Triple H throwing some lewd remarks to Sable about how she bet on the wrong horse (insert dick joke) in 96, obvious Chyna menacing of Sable is obvious..... there wasn't any high profile DX/Sable interaction in peak Attitude that I can recall and it seems the kings of cheap innuendo and the WWF's best-promoted wankbait would have been a match made in heaven! No, it wouldn't have made a Big 5 PPV, but I'd have like to see them wrestle again because of shared history before they underwent drastic character changes. A Poundland Hunter vs Rocky, if you like.

So? Any of you want to sell me something ropey? Do you think Berzerker vs Papa Shango was money left on the table? Do you wish the Bushwhackers and Godwinns could have competed to see whose odour would defeat the others? Let me know.

• Awards Moderator

Back in the mid-2000s, probably around the time he faced Danielson, I was desperate to see Samoa Joe vs. Kamala. It likely would have been rubbish, but it would have been Samoa Joe vs. Kamala!

Other than, I'd dearly love another Gimmick Battle Royal. I know they did one on Raw some time after the original, but even then it's been ages. Bring it back!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I always really wanted, back in say 2008 or so, to see John Cena v Samoa Joe.  I think Joe was champ down in TNA and Cena was champ in WWE at one point, so it was a dream cross-promotional bout for me

I still think it was a missed opportunity that WWE never did that match when Joe finally came north.  Cagematch suggests they actually had two matches on house shows - but it never got onto TV.  I guess Vince didn't find it as appealing a prospect as me.

They both trained together back in UPW right at the start of their careers, so I imagine it would have been pretty good.

Edit: I realise this isn't a ropey prospect, so apologies Raider.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I didn't really know it was until they booked it, but as soon as they did I realised Trent Baretta vs Samoa Joe was something of a personal dream match for me, as both are long standing favourites of mine.

Eh, it was alright I guess.

I always wanted a feud between The Rock and Ken Shamrock around late 1998/early 1999, but for the championship. Shamrock was my boy, and I can't believe he hardly got a title shot (Michaels IYH in '97 and possibly a few others) 

I'm aware they had many a match, but an angle along the lines of Rocky screwing him at RR 98 and WM14, then for Shamrock, the KOTR victory wasn't enough as he was overshadowed by the obvious and DIDN'T EVEN GET A CORONATION. Would have loved for him to have a little run with the strap. Both could have worked as faces and heels. 

That's one of the first ones that came to mind, and I realise it's a selfish one, as so many matches between the two took place, but I ALWAYS wanted Shamrock to get some redemption on Rocky in a main event scenario. 

If that doesn't meet the requirements, 3MB Triple Threat. Cheers. 

Edited by adjarrell

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, adjarrell said:

I always wanted a feud between The Rock and Ken Shamrock around late 1998/early 1999, but for the championship. Shamrock was my boy, and I can't believe he hardly got a title shot (Michaels IYH in '97 and possibly a few others) 

Ken did get a few title shots but it was usually on Raw - he challenged Bret in 97, he challenged Steve Austin in 98. Of course when Rocky won the belt the two were stablemates for six months or so, and when he turned back there was barely any time before Rock turned back too. Stars didnt line up for another match after Survivor Series 1998. Of course, you couldnt rely on Shamrock for a top spot because he never truly took his eye off a return to MMA.

3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Ken did get a few title shots but it was usually on Raw - he challenged Bret in 97, he challenged Steve Austin in 98. Of course when Rocky won the belt the two were stablemates for six months or so, and when he turned back there was barely any time before Rock turned back too. Stars didnt line up for another match after Survivor Series 1998. Of course, you couldnt rely on Shamrock for a top spot because he never truly took his eye off a return to MMA.

Yeah absolutely. Always just thought he was the man after taking my eyes off WWF for a couple of years mid nineties, when I saw him going nuts and belly-to-belly suplexing referees I was in love all over again. Just wish he'd had a chance to truly get redemption on The Rock. 

• Paid Members

Up until about 95/96, I don’t even remember thinking about ‘dream matches’. I pretty much just accepted whatever we got and loved it unconditionally. Simple times. There’d be the odd time I’d be playing with the Hasbros and do something like Hogan vs Jake and I’d think ‘I wonder if this ever happened’ but back then I had no way of even checking. By about 96 though, I remember my imagination going a bit at possible combinations of matches I thought would be cool. Maybe it was the fact the Raw vs Nitro war was kicking off that triggered it. But around that time I really wanted to see stuff like Shawn Michaels vs Ahmed Johnson and Shawn Michaels vs Ultimate Warrior and thinking they’d be classics. I still half wish they happened just out of morbid curiosity to see what 96 Shawn could’ve got out of them. But they probably wouldn’t have been great. I was eagerly waiting to see the big Diesel vs Vader clash in the 96 Rumble as well, which I hoped would lead to a big one on one match down the line. And I’m sure they teased it in the build up, only for them never to cross paths at all. During or after the Rumble. 

My weirdest one though, was when I was going back to rewatching older WWF stuff, SummerSlam 89 to be specific, and realised I badly wanted to see Ultimate Warrior vs Zeus. I’d say I’m ashamed but I’m not. Would’ve been such a train wreck but I’d have been engrossed. I loved Zeus for a while though. To the point that even by 97, when I probably should’ve known better, when Faarooq kicked Crush and Savio out of the Nation Of Domination and teased new members that would be “bigger, badder and a whole lot blacker” I was actually hoping it would be Zeus and Butch Reed. Picture that faction. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I was eagerly waiting to see the big Diesel vs Vader clash in the 96 Rumble as well, which I hoped would lead to a big one on one match down the line. And I’m sure they teased it in the build up, only for them never to cross paths at all. During or after the Rumble. 

100% they did - during the Ross Report on The Action Zone, JR said "A Diesel/Vader confrontation is a must-see in the Royal Rumble." Prick.

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I loved Zeus for a while though.

Finally! Fan club activate. One of the tapes I watched and rewatched in my formative wrestling years was SummerSlam '89, and this man was a fearsome maniac. Impervious to pain!

My dream match in slightly more recent times though was The Boogeyman vs Umaga. I still wish I could've seen it happen. How they'd react to each other, the tactics they'd use. Anyone who disagrees is lying.

• Paid Members

Id have quite liked to watch Umaga and Joe beat the shit out of each other but it’s probably not “meh” enough for what I was aiming for with the thread!

• Paid Members

It makes me sad we never got to see Paul Wight either against or tagging with Marko Stunt. That would’ve been great.

Of any match that could ever take place, it’s a damn tragedy how unlikely John Cena vs. Orange Cassidy is. In my head, that starts as the funnest, hammiest comedy match, before Cena turns the Indy Darling switch on and they have a belter filled with Code Reds and Springboard Stunners.

Edited by Supremo