Summerslam is tonight!

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Regardless of execution, I think that at least she's attempting to portray the correct emotion. She just got beat, and here comes someone unexpectedly that either might attack her or either be a threat to her position at near the top of the chasing pack. Belair looks like a fan the night after WrestleMania popping that her favourites from NXT got called up, and it's getting out of hand how often this happens. Wrestlers should react to this kind of stuff like competitors would when potential enemies/rivals appear, not act like fans enjoying the "surprise."

It's particularly galling in the women's division, and I think WWE post-"Women's Evolution" has encouraged that by leaning far too heavily into using it as a badge of progressive credentials rather than just booking it as wrestling. One of the worst offenders was promos for the first women's Hell In A Cell match, where (I think) Sasha Banks was talking about what an honour and a privilege it was to be in Hell In A Cell. Hang on, haven't we had 20+ years of being told that it's a scary, dangerous, career-shortening match that people only enter as a last resort? Why are people smiling and just happy to be there in a fucking Hell In A Cell match?

A charitable reading of Bianca's expression, I suppose, is that she's a fighting champion, and welcomes the challenge.

6 hours ago, air_raid said:

The look on Belairs face marking out for the surprise pisses me off so much. WE should mark out, YOU should be confused, wary or angry.

F3D78050-3149-4CE4-8531-5C6F12A2727A.jpeg

She was though. The context is that Bayley et all came out, Belair was concerned but stepped up to them. Then Lynch stepped up alongside Belair, Belair was still cautious and wary, then this picture is as she realises Lynch is on her side. I mean there’s been plenty of ‘pops’ from people in the ring when a surprise happens - Big match John is a culprit as well, but this isn’t one of those times.

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

One of the worst offenders was promos for the first women's Hell In A Cell match, where (I think) Sasha Banks was talking about what an honour and a privilege it was to be in Hell In A Cell. Hang on, haven't we had 20+ years of being told that it's a scary, dangerous, career-shortening match that people only enter as a last resort? Why are people smiling and just happy to be there in a fucking Hell In A Cell match?

I'd agree if they actually did treat it like that. But it's a gimmick match that comes around once a year conveniently because they've got a PPV to sell. It lost any fear/danger/whatever many years ago. Now it's seen as one of those things you tick off on a bucket list as a wrestler like Royal Rumble etc.

And to be honest, I can't blame them for trying to sell it as 'wow it's the first women's... xyz' because they've fucked everything into the ground so they need some sort of selling point.

• Paid Members

I watched this, I thought it was a good professional wrestling event.

* Bianca Belair vs Becky Lynch - absolutely superb. Bianca is so good that she's almost as good as Charlotte Flair on form, right now. A natural, likeable babyface and a great all-rounder in the ring. I didn't know two of the three women who came out at the end but they're still persevering with Bayley as a heel? Ridiculous.

* Logan Paul vs The Miz - ridiculously good. Honestly, it's fucking infuriating that Paul is as good as this and that he was somehow convincing as a babyface? What the fuck? Huge credit to The Miz though, that guy must be an absolute godsend to have on the roster.

* Bobby Lashley vs Theory - not bad at all. I still think Theory is great. He might not quite fit into the modern era of moves and non-selling but the guy's a natural, classic heel with a great look and he does lots of good-looking punches. You're all going to look daft. Again.

* The Mysterios vs Judgement Day - ehh, I don't care. Finn Balor obviously doesn't want to be there, he's got an expression like when CM Punk was made the leader of the Nexus. Damien Priest and Rhea Ripley are the absolute business though and need someone leading them who looks like he gives a shit. Dominik is fucking crap.

* Pat McAfee vs Happy Borebin - It struck me watching this match and having watched the Logan Paul one that it's a damning indictment of the quality of talent in WWE (and AEW for that matter) that these two can just walk in and look more natural in the ring than those who have been doing this for years. McAfee's selling is really good and I think the slight clumsiness to some of his stuff adds to his appeal. Corbin is still absolutely dreadful though.

* The Usos vs The Street Profits - Even I feel like I've watched this match 52 times and I only watch the PPVs. Pretty good but both teams need to move on now.

* Liv Morgan vs Ronda Rousey - I'm not sure there was much more they could have done with this. Good to see a referee get beat up. Rousey's eye make-up always look like it was applied by a 5 year old.

* Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar - Wore me out after a while, just absolute overkill at times but Lesnar is having the time of his life. The ending was predictable and Reigns definitely went too far with that briefcase at the end. Roman's entrance and music were suitably epic and fantastic.

Not bad at all! Enjoyed the moment during one of the matches when Graves told Cole he liked him better when he wasn't allowed to have an opinion and Cole shot back that things have changed. Maybe it really is bye bye, Vince!

I think you summed it up well re: McAfee - and actually Logan Paul in a similar sense - in that part of the enjoyment is that they're both so capable but there's still that element of risk and danger and slight clumsiness. Not that you want either of them to get injured but I think the lack of everything looking so choreographed and so smooth.. that just adds to their matches.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

A charitable reading of Bianca's expression, I suppose, is that she's a fighting champion, and welcomes the challenge.

That was my take. It's doesn't really fit Bianca's character to act shocked. 

Bianca's expression actually made complete sense, she put Bayley out, she had to know she'd be gunning for her when she came back, and of course she would try and steal bianca's spotlight when she came back.

The worst occasion of this was the NXT women's battle royal a few weeks back, when 3 of the girls started clapping and smiling when Zoe starks music hit. " Yay my odds at a championship match just decreased....."

Just watched it and it was alright I guess, never really felt like a Summerslam card though. They've definitely saved a couple of bits for Clash At The Castle. Reigns/Lesnar finally had another good match after Wrestlemania 31 at least - that was very fun. Bianca and Becky always do well together and Logan Paul is definitely a natural at this. Everything else was meh.

• Paid Members

Heyman was brilliant during the main event, too. Pleading with Lesnar to take the belts and to leave Reigns alone, the guy never misses a trick. He's one of the most valuable people in the company, by far.