Stranger Things thread *Season 4 spoilers*

MungoChutney

I'd been wondering if this was worth having sing there was some chat in the telly thread and then saw Chest wanted an individual thread so as to avoid spoilers.

Anyway, season 4 was great on the whole I thought. I did wonder if the finale was going to be underwhelming until the last hour became an absolute rollercoaster. 

Headline thoughts coming out of it for me:

-Max is alive but somehow trapped within Vecna's mind.

-Brenner survived. He's the only one who can really make sure El knows what is needed to finally defeat Vecna.

-Next season will see Hawkins under quarantine with everyone evacuated. The good guys will need to break in so they can defeat Vecna, it all begins and ends at the lab.

-Eddie is definitely dead. The town will find out he died to save them though. The Duffer Brothers knew exactly what they were doing and how people would react to a popular single season character death like with Bob. 

2024 seems to be the date for the fifth and final season. Already counting down the days.

• Paid Members

Justice for Bob.

Justice for Benny.

Justice for Eddie.

I loved most of the season, and most of the annoying quirks (such as Vecna turning into the King Of Exposition) were offset by style and panache. A couple moments where I teared up, and they were both around Max's dances with death.

The way season 4 ended does feel like things are organically coming to a head. The finale episodes were a bit messy but still fantastic, and there was a lot of filler jammed into the previous episodes to make sure all the background and storybeats were on course, but was still incredibly enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to see how they tie all the stories together in season 5, and my theory/prediction for the ending is some sort of time travel gimmick involving the upside-down, maybe with Eleven sacrificing herself to save the gang, Hawkins and the world, essentially ending series 5 where series 1 started, only this time Will isn't sucked into the Upside-Down, the innocent victims are back to life, and all the kids live normal lives without much an inkling of what went down.

• Paid Members

Season 4 was definitely too bloated. The Russia story could have been done in a couple of episodes. Despite that, it was the best season since 1 and the great definitely outweighs the poor. Shame season 5 is so far away really.

Side note, who the fuck is this appealing to?

7D757489-59FE-4459-895C-3619F2A7777D.jpeg

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator

We were a few weeks behind in watching the first bunch of episodes, but that meant we were only a week or so behind on the last two. I’m glad we did it that way as the wait between volumes would have been a challenge!

I really liked this season, was a bit worried it would feel bloated due to the long long running times but it really didn’t. Agree that it was the best season since 1. The final season is going to be an epic - did I see somewhere they’re planning a time jump?

Maya Hawke is the best.

Justice for Eddie. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I think the episodes being longer and with more padding was needed this time to let us catch up with each group. Next season won't need to do that you'd think and I think I read they intended a feature length finale but shorter episodes overall. 

A time jump has been one of those things mentioned or hinted at but it could be for an epilogue rather than the whole season I reckon. 

8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Season 4 was definitely too bloated. The Russia story could have been done in a couple of episodes. Despite that, it was the best season since 1 and the great definitely outweighs the poor. Shame season 5 is so far away really.

Side note, who the fuck is this appealing to?

7D757489-59FE-4459-895C-3619F2A7777D.jpeg

People that remember the comic coming out around the year Stranger Things 4 is set during? Its now the 3rd something x TMNT figure series to be announced/released after the Cobra Kai 2 packs and the figure packs based on the Power Rangers/TMNT comic 

Hasbro are just as bad, releasing new Transformers based on the Ecto-1, the DeLorean, one of the jets from Top Gun and the X-Spanse from X-Men among others

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I’d imagine they’re quite appealing to children.

I’d disagree. For 1 they are the comic book turtles style. The new cartoon has radically different designs. And there is a Ghostbusters Fright Features style line for kids made by Bandai and sold in Target. 

27 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

People that remember the comic coming out around the year Stranger Things 4 is set during? Its now the 3rd something x TMNT figure series to be announced/released after the Cobra Kai 2 packs and the figure packs based on the Power Rangers/TMNT comic 

Hasbro are just as bad, releasing new Transformers based on the Ecto-1, the DeLorean, one of the jets from Top Gun and the X-Spanse from X-Men among others

The other mashups you mentioned make sense. Either by a spin-off comic or the fact they are “Ninjas”. But other then both have an 80’s nostalgia connection (1 real and 1 constructed) I don’t get it. At least the Transformers make some sense, albeit not entirely straightforward.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

did I see somewhere they’re planning a time jump?

It's going to be essential. The kid actors will all be in their early 20s by the time they start filming.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
On 7/9/2022 at 11:38 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Awkward Jennifer Lawrence GIF