woke.

PunkStep

Nah, if I was a multi millionaire I’d absolutely live my best life etc but I’d absolutely fund and speak about issues I care about too. To not do that seems a bit “I’m alright Jack, so fuck you” 

16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah, if I was a multi millionaire I’d absolutely live my best life etc but I’d absolutely fund and speak about issues I care about too. To not do that seems a bit “I’m alright Jack, so fuck you” 

I think supporting charities publicly etc would be the right thing to do. But I've always hated celebrities talking about politics in serious manner. Do jokes and stuff, but for me the best political comedy tears into various parties.

5 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I think supporting charities publicly etc would be the right thing to do

The thing that irks me about when celebs do this is instead of donating to, or becoming a patron etc for an existing charity, they set up their own. 

Sometimes it isn't that easy, I work for a charity and have seen the vetting celebs have to go under to be able to work with us and it is extensive, they fail vetting for even the tiniest indiscretion.

1 minute ago, deathrey said:

Sometimes it isn't that easy, I work for a charity and have seen the vetting celebs have to go under to be able to work with us and it is extensive, they fail vetting for even the tiniest indiscretion.

Would you still accept a donation from them? Or would they have to do it anonymously?

I find myself getting a tad uncomfortable with some aspects of charity at this point. It seems to be what right-libertarians say would provide welfare if we got rid of pesky government altogether. 

So that way rich people get to decide which "good causes" get funding, and people who can't afford philanthropy have no say in the matter. 

Is it so weird to believe the state should provide most of those services, under democratic control so everyone has a say in where the money (taxes not donations) goes?

There's a reason those massive all-night telethons started in the mid-80s once Thatcherism really got going, you know?

Obviously there's still a place for some charitable organisations but only in raising awareness/doing research, but not actually providing essentials. 

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Would you still accept a donation from them? Or would they have to do it anonymously?

Not my department but I'm guessing they would ask them to do it anonymously - I may be wrong though.

15 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Not my department but I'm guessing they would ask them to do it anonymously - I may be wrong though.

What I meant by being irked by it is it does seem to centre themselves. For instance, if I won the lottery, I’d donate to existing charities that I know and donate to already. I wouldn’t set up “The Houchen Foundation” to do it. 

I think you should, that would be a great name. What would your cause be?

But on the whole, yes I agree with you. It's quite performative and egotistical. Also, depending on the issue, it's better to let experts deal with it. You can do more damage than good. In certain scenarios I can see how having a celebrity name attached might be beneficial - particularly with something where a lot of stigma is attached such as sexual abuse, having a celebrity survivor can give people hope. However, as you say, in an ideal world, they work with an existing charity.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I wouldn’t set up “The Houchen Foundation” to do it. 

3 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I think you should, that would be a great name.

Given that the real world Keith Houchen is a horrendous Thatcherite, and his bastard nephew is the equally shitty Ben Houchen, mayor of Teesside, it would have to be the reddest, tankiest, Trotskiest organisation going.

My multi-millionaire/billionaire project would be to work with Cooperatives UK and various bodies to really zhuzh up the cooperative movement. Funding programmes, educational materials and classes, and structural assistance to any group of people trying to set up their own cooperative business or society. Once people realise they can all own a stake in something to do with them, society is less likely to put up with the notion of bosses, always being at the top, always getting decide where the money goes.