From Software Games

Onyx2

Another major boss done.

Spoiler

Renalla, Twin Big Fuck Off Sword Attacks Moon Knight.

Did it on the 14th attempt. Overall death count is 67 thus far. Most of those to the Blackgaol Knight. There’s a lovely area underneath Belurat that I first thought was going to be a small cave, but then opened up into a massive location. I know people bang on about the verticality of these games, but it’s insane how big some of these locations are. 

I've been having a better time of it as it's gone on, still some weirdly lifeless areas but there's also been a few that completely overshadow the base game. One thing I really appreciate is the colour palette, it almost always feels otherworldly and sometimes surreal although it does also get dark a lot. I need a replay as something other than an INT character as that's the one stat where fuck all works for it, my Faith build will have a whale of a time here.. even Arcane is catered for pretty well it seems.

Later there's one hell of an area.

Spoiler

Complex as hell as feels like a mix of New Londo and Bloodborne with even a DS2 area mixed in but done so really well. Accidentally ended up in front of a certain hyped boss... died instantly.

Double post but good luck to anyone fighting a certain boss who rides on the back of an animal not called a horse.. even "pros" and people who really undertstand the mechanics are saying he's totally broken, from hitboxes not working correctly to an OP move that hits you right at the start even if you perfect your roll.

The other big time bosses are cool as hell and work as intended, just difficult, but this one... I can definitely see a patch coming.

Edited by Merzbow

Haven’t met that boss yet. I have discovered some forges and they felt very Lord Of The Rings-ish. Had a dual with some mysterious fella and obliterated him with the Bloodhound’s Fang. I barely used it in the main game, but the ash of war it uses is just wonderful. 

One of my favourite aspects of the game is how the community helps other players. The messages on the floor (“be wary of left” etc), people sticking down their summon sign to help with tricky bosses. I’ve got some friends playing it and they’ll send me a message urging me to check out a particular place on the map. They won’t spoil what’s there, but I’ll inevitably find a cool weapon or previously undiscovered location (or hideous monstrosity boss). I’ve never really experienced anything like this prior to Elden Ring, with the communal experience it provides. 

Wheres @RedRooster lately? He has to be playing this.

• Paid Members

Had anybody played the Dark Souls remaster on Switch? I'm really tempted by it while it's £17.49 in the sale. I'm just interested to know how it runs. 

28 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

Had anybody played the Dark Souls remaster on Switch? I'm really tempted by it while it's £17.49 in the sale. I'm just interested to know how it runs. 

Absolutely fine. It was my introduction to Souls and it’s probably my most enjoyable way of playing the games. The pick up and play aspect lends itself to the genre really well and the FromSoft jank charm is all part of the experience anyway so you don’t feel like you’re playing an inferior version. 

I don't think I'll ever beat that final boss with a magic build unless I completely respec.. plus it's less fun then even Bed of Chaos.

I was on a run of some killer legendary bosses, too. A certain one below a castle and the the very Bloodborne like mansion boss were brilliant if fucking tough.

I’ve beaten…

Spoiler

Commander Gaius. Took me a few deaths before I even thought of using Torrent. 

That massive hippo. With thanks to the Leda summon. 

A whole bunch of mini dungeon bosses and invaders. Logan…I mean Logur in the woods was annoying as fuck until I found a high spot and shot him with arrows.

I’ve been humiliated by Messmer a few times. He feels like a boss I need to go back to later on.

I think I still have 2 map areas to unlock. The dlc is huge. Feels more like a straight up sequel. Once again the visuals are spectacular and I’m often arriving at a new location and have to stop and take it all in.

Best game ever.

I can’t comprehend how people can beat bosses with one hand, or with dance mats, or flutes, or no-hit runs, or with level 1 characters. It’s beyond impressive, but it boggles the mind.

I’ve beaten…

Spoiler

Messmer and the Putrescent Knight.

The latter wasn’t too bad. The former was an absolute horror to finish. I summoned other players, but they were worse than me. In the end, my trusty mimic tear was the answer. 

I’ve been progressing a side quest with an NPC called Thollier I think. I found him after the above mentioned Knight boss and couldn’t figure out where to go and what to do with the St Trina in the room with him. I had to consult a guide to find that…

Spoiler

You need to ingest the nectar she offers you 4 times before you can carry on with his quest.

Without a guide, how is anyone supposed to figure this out? I know the story and characters are vague at the best of times, and relies on reading the descriptions of items and equipment. But I literally never would have been able to progress that quest without looking it up. 

Nice to see my most hated enemies, the spider fingers, are back once again. Fuck sake.

St Trina has been the character I've most wanted to learn more about, especially since Miss Chalice did a brilliant video on them. I'm torn over the DLC portrayal as I feel there definitely was room for more as she's such a huge part of Miquella but I'm glad we did get something, I feel bad for Thiollier though.

But yeah, I had to use the guide to although I had an inkling..

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:
  Hide contents

You need to ingest the nectar she offers you 4 times before you can carry on with his quest.

Without a guide, how is anyone supposed to figure this out?

I discovered this without a guide, purely because

Spoiler

I was winding down for the night after the boss and I thought it was funny to continuously run in, drink the nectar, die, and then run back in and repeat. Just intended for it to be amusement for myself, so was pleasantly surprised when it led to dialogue (though I'd already passed the point where I could do Thollier's quest unfortunately)

On 6/24/2024 at 8:50 PM, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Haven’t met that boss yet. I have discovered some forges and they felt very Lord Of The Rings-ish. Had a dual with some mysterious fella and obliterated him with the Bloodhound’s Fang. I barely used it in the main game, but the ash of war it uses is just wonderful. 

One of my favourite aspects of the game is how the community helps other players. The messages on the floor (“be wary of left” etc), people sticking down their summon sign to help with tricky bosses. I’ve got some friends playing it and they’ll send me a message urging me to check out a particular place on the map. They won’t spoil what’s there, but I’ll inevitably find a cool weapon or previously undiscovered location (or hideous monstrosity boss). I’ve never really experienced anything like this prior to Elden Ring, with the communal experience it provides. 

Wheres @RedRooster lately? He has to be playing this.

Thanks for thinking of me here! I was taking a little bit of a break, I've been dealing with a painful health problem that left me going a month or so without sleeping and I felt like I was being a bit of a curmudgeon, which isn't fun for anyone. But all is good now - the pain just kind of stopped and I'm getting about as much sleep as my toddler will allow me to have. 

(And I've also accidentally locked myself out of my account after changing the password and not saving it in my phone - hence the new account!)

Anyway...I haven't been playing this. While I was unwell, I wasn't playing much of anything, but I've been making up for lost time recently and I've been being my usual wanky indie game playing self - so I have a bunch of recommendations for you all before the Steam sale ends, which I'll post in the videogames on sale thread!