AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

20 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Haven't watched Dynamite yet, but have seen the tournament *sigh* bracket, is there any reason why it isn't just Mox Vs MJF at Grand Slam? Being Mox just lost the title and MJF has the title shot?

Cause that would be the least aew thing ever haha. Also guessing with 4 stars of the show off the road it’s wrecked a few stories so this fills time the next few weeks 

• Paid Members

Best Dynamite in a long long while. Felt big time and everything ticked along nicely.

I personally could have done without a tournament bracket and would have preferred a Best Friends win but in terms of how this situation could have been handled, it’s pretty spot on. Fair play to the bracket, it’s full of matches that make storyline sense and carry on previous or current feuds.

The absences of Punk and The Elite combined with the total doubling down on Mox, MJF and Garcia/Yuta made the show feel fresh and exciting and quite honestly like if they all left the company they wouldn’t be missed.

• Paid Members

Instead of going big they just put on a fairly unremarkable but incredibly solid wrestling show and it was absolutely the pallet cleanser we needed. Great work. 

Also, Mox is the absolute fucking best. I wish more than anything he didn't drop the belt to Punk. Going forward probably best for a fresh face though - Danielson for Champion all the way.

2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Instead of going big they just put on a fairly unremarkable but incredibly solid wrestling show and it was absolutely the pallet cleanser we needed. Great work. 

Also, Mox is the absolute fucking best. I wish more than anything he didn't drop the belt to Punk. Going forward probably best for a fresh face though - Danielson for Champion all the way.

Yeah I was thinking how I felt about the show and that sums it up really - unremarkable but not in a bad way at all. It's exactly what I'd want from AEW. A consistent solid show. That's what I like on a weekly basis. They've always been good with their specials and stacking those but then you get a lot of dips in between. This is the type of quality I'd want from them regularly.

12 minutes ago, TheDude said:

They love a fucking tournament don't they? Christ.

They've had to rewrite lord knows how many weeks of TV in a few days, so I'll give them a pass on this one. 

Decent show. Khan vacating the belts without alluding to anything that happened was a proper hard reset worthy of WCW 2000, but unavoidable and probably the best way to handle it. 

Mox is the man. 

Just...yeah. A decent solid show was what the doctor ordered here and they're pushing on with it. Fair play. This next title reign needs to be a long one, though, so long as whoever has it stays healthy. No more keeping the seat warm for the real plan. The prestige of it has taken a bit of a short term booking battering in recent weeks. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this. But. CM Punks childish behaviour has led to a sort of reset and felt the show thrived because of it.

That's a very optimistic viewpoint. To me, it felt like a very inconsequential show, with little in the way of storyline. The show wasn't bad, but it didn't feel as hot as it might have had this not happened. I'm not saying that's not understandable, but I'm not sure the show "thrived".

MJF was affected most by this, and it was rather odd to see him and Stokely's lot treated as separate entities, even with everything that's going on. It felt like we'd rewound the clock to before MJF had cut that promo - even though he acknowledged it - although I accept that may have been unavoidable under the circumstances. 

1 minute ago, FelatioLips said:

The absences of Punk and The Elite combined with the total doubling down on Mox, MJF and Garcia/Yuta made the show feel fresh and exciting and quite honestly like if they all left the company they wouldn’t be missed.

Well, they were certainly missed when they were out injured. Regardless of who CM Punk is, or might be, as a person; from a purely on-screen perspective, I think it's hard to argue that his return has led to incredibly exciting, memorable moments. He's been great - the feud with MJF, Eddie Kingston, that confrontation with Moxley - had this not happened, I think he'd have been on a lot of people's "best of" lists for 2022 in some way, shape or form. Heck, he might still be. 

As for Omega and The Bucks, the Page/Omega/Bucks storyline underpinned the whole company in its formative years. I could list all of the great, emotional moments; but you all know them. Losing all four of these wrestlers would be an enormous blow. Perhaps, again, it'll end up being an unavoidable one - but it would be incredibly unfortunate all the same. 

9 minutes ago, TheDude said:

They love a fucking tournament don't they? Christ.

This is how I feel, but I understand why they did it. It buys Tony Khan some time. I still think he'd benefit from some sort of creative director or unit though, both to improve booking, and help him pivot sharply when plans are forced to change. 

And talking of Tony Khan, it was really interesting to hear the fans boo him. He can't have been too pleased about that. 

It was also a bit unfortunate that Chris Jericho gave away the result of Hangman/Danielson - how did that end up happening?

All in all, as others have said, it was a solid, if unremarkable show. I hope they don't enter a holding pattern until Arthur Ashe though, and figure out what they want to do next. They could do with feeling hot quickly, so people move past the mess of the past few days. 

12 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

All in all, as others have said, it was a solid, if unremarkable show. I hope they don't enter a holding pattern until Arthur Ashe though, and figure out what they want to do next. They could do with feeling hot quickly, so people move past the mess of the past few days. 

They only have one more Dynamite before the Arthur Ashe show.

Just now, The King of Old School said:

They only have one more Dynamite before the Arthur Ashe show.

Jeez, I hadn't realised that. Still, they should try to establish exactly what direction they're heading as soon as they can, particularly when it comes to MJF and whatever that new stable is supposed to be. When MJF is hot, typically, the whole company feels that way. 

Decent enough show but I find it extremely odd they didn't address the Bucks and Punk in some way. I know there is apparently some legal bits happening behind the scenes so to be fair to them they are probably being careful what they say, however whilst we all know what's happened to an extent, surely there will he some viewers who don't follow everything on the Internet and have no idea why suddenly the belts are vacated and Punk and the Elite aren't even mentioned?!

They've been removed from the opening video as well interestingly.

Even if it was just a made up storyline explanation I'd have at least tried fo explain to the viewers why they're suddenly not there.

• Paid Members

It’s a positive that they’ve put top guys in the tournament. Between this and the Trios Tournament it’s been nice that you can’t instantly know who’s winning based on the brackets.

Another problem that would have been best solved by doing a huge, roster-wide, proper Royal Rumble though. Filled with all the top guys, I’d much prefer that over another tournament.