Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

Suede and Manics last night was one of the best gigs I've been to this year. I've never been too keen on Suede, but they're so much better live than on record. Brett Anderson was absolutely captivating. So much energy too. Just had a look and he's 56! He's in amazing shape. I love it when a band totally changes your perception of them, after seeing them live. 

The Manics were really good too. It absolutely pissed it down during A Design For Life but it made for a great moment. Their setlist was well paced and packed full of classics. 

It was great value for money, getting two headline sets. I'll definitely see Suede again at some point. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

Not long got back from middle-aged, white person-fest, otherwise known as Kendal Calling. It was what it was and it was a good laugh.

Having to pay extra for a shower, shite and to charge the phone is just where we are in the world now, I guess.

Started off with Paul Heaton, who was, unsurprisingly, brilliant. He doesn’t even try and yet he grabbed the crowd in. He’s one of us, Paul.

IMG_8666.thumb.jpeg.829c769793b585243ce0a6eceb50a342.jpeg

Next day, we got Keane. Yeah, I know. To be fair, apart from him bouncing around the stage like a children’s TV presenter trying to make mates, he was good. The music was as expected and he doesn’t look like a chubby toddler anymore so good on him.

IMG_8709.thumb.jpeg.0039ff2fb836d9a1f2dd101ff2f82790.jpeg

Noel Gallagher was the headliner, so we went to watch Lucy Spraggan. She was ace! Didn’t know who she was until last week but the kid was a laugh and gave us a really top end to the day. Great fun.

IMG_8738.thumb.jpeg.b10b535fa0b4e3c9d73f940210322500.jpeg

Saturday was boss. We did a few hours in the comedy tent, with compère Phil Chapman having us in tears. Mickey P. Kerr and Matt Bragg were also brilliant.

We wandered over to the main stage and look! Here’s a photo of Kate Nash from backstage. I was no closer than 50 yards away, don’t worry.

IMG_8752.thumb.jpeg.fb796d069ca5aff72e78b6734cf5d2b9.jpeg

The view was shite, so we went back to the front of stage and the rest of her set was brilliant.

IMG_8779.thumb.jpeg.e0bcd84c63556fc7387e4749cd0ca2fc.jpeg

Lightning Seeds after that, just to get my middle-aged adrenaline back. They, as expected, were great. We couldn’t get in the big tent because I needed a shite after Nash, but from afar we loved them kicking out all of the hits and I had memories of Dalian Atkinson when they played The Life of Riley.

IMG_8787.thumb.jpeg.859b857d87fa2e4fb33efe3a7069781c.jpeg

They finished with Three Lions and we walked away as soon as it started. 

Sunday started in the best possible way with Red Rum Club. It was a gang of mates doing the main stage, having the time of their lives. In amongst the headliners and big acts, these lot stole the show. Act of the weekend.

IMG_8813.thumb.jpeg.3eea08dcb6c67b84f30d65a2a0a5e97e.jpeg

We then bumped into my first ever girlfriend, from back in 1991, and her husband. I never fingered her, so it wasn’t awkward.

We went to get a bit of food and stumbled across Goldie Lookin’ Chain. I won’t lie, they were a good laugh. I just kept picturing Dillkid in a trackie and Argos jewellery.

After that, it was the Reytons.

IMG_8832.thumb.jpeg.6fac9d3a3f94436a843e31eb7b019098.jpeg

They’re basically an Arctic Monkeys tribute act, aren’t they? But they were good, and got the crowd up and dancing, creating a fantastic atmosphere. It was as a bit of a dagger to the heart when they sang a song about going back to the good old days - like my Dad would say about the 1960s - only to realise they were referencing the year after I signed up to the UKFF. Get fucked.

Paulo Nutini was shite.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

Just been to see Will Young in a very small and intimate local venue. He was bloody brilliant! Probably one of the best voices I’ve ever heard in person and he seems a very lovely chap indeed. Top stuff. Red Rum Club on Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Went to a Rounds gig last night, featuring Kristian Bush, Jeff Cohen and Robert Vincent.

Booked it only really knowing the latter (who is brilliant), but we were made up with the other two.

Cohen could certainly hold his own even though he’s more known as a songwriter, but bloody hell was Kristian Bush good. He’s in five bands so clearly loves what he does, but he brought the whole thing together and I’ll keep an eye out for the next time he’s over here.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Cohen could certainly hold his own even though he’s more known as a songwriter

Could almost apply this same sentence to Leonard

My friend flew to Supersonic in Birmingham and I've never felt worse fomo at his stream of WhatsApp messages he's been sending me all weekend:

spacer.png

How did I miss that?! I only caught one of the DJ sets after The Body & Dis Fig, my mate Alice was offered to play only her second ever set on the rooftop.

I only went for the Saturday though as it's getting a little too pricey now but all the bands blew me away, Smote were the big surprise and were far heavier and sludgier than I'd heard on record while getting very close in to Godflesh territory and Agriculture who do very middle class black metal but in a genuinely gorgeous way.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'm incredibly happy that English Teacher won the Mercury Music Prize. Seen them twice this year and had the privilege of having a drink with them after one of those shows. They're really nice people and amazingly talented. The first act from outside London to win it since 2014 too! 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Panhead said:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'm incredibly happy that English Teacher won the Mercury Music Prize. Seen them twice this year and had the privilege of having a drink with them after one of those shows. They're really nice people and amazingly talented. The first act from outside London to win it since 2014 too! 

Absolutely bloody incredible album too. Had it on repeat all day just to remember the initial release and its still such a slam after slam. The Best Tears Of Your Life is such a great song from it.