• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, StrongStyle said:

I think some of the comments in here are in very poor taste. Angela Carini has said that she felt she 'had to preserve her life'

I'm no Angelo Dundee but maybe she should try blocking punches.

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm no Angelo Dundee but maybe she should try blocking punches.

Or, to play devil's advocate, she could receive better protection from a governing body who permitted her to fight against someone with a considerable size, reach and punching power advantage over her. I suppose Angelo was aware of the need for weight categories.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, StrongStyle said:

Or, to play devil's advocate, she could receive better protection from a governing body who permitted her to fight against someone with a considerable size, reach and punching power advantage over her. I suppose Angelo was aware of the need for weight categories.

She could also have pulled out of the fight before it started. Did she only realise these things once the bell went?

I really don't want to jump to a conclusion since that Italian boxer did wish her opponent well after and that she hopes she does well but the wording of her 'had to preserve her life' is just asking for really thick prejudice shits an open goal (not that they wouldn't need an excuse). I dunno, probably my futility in people striking here.

Edited by Chili

• Members
7 minutes ago, StrongStyle said:

But that's what the weight categories are for? What on earth are you on about? You wany people to fight based on their height and arm length?

And their punching power? Do you reckon they should use one of those punching machines you get in arcades and then fighters can be matched that way?

I think it's only fair, when you see how many disciplines are "easy" to rack up a fair few medals all sports should offer multiple opportunities. Crazy golf for the golfers, arcade hardest punch machines for the boxers, most amount of claps while doing a frog splash for the wrestlers.

• Paid Members

It’s been funny to me seeing all these MMA accounts on Twitter acting horrified and suddenly becoming advocates for women and their safety in combat sports. Usually when a story comes out about one of their favourite fighters (or even the UFC president himself!) beating his wife or girlfriend, they’re falling over themselves to rush to Twitter to defend or excuse it. All of a sudden they wanna protect women…when it gives them an excuse to spew more hatred at trans folk. 

• Paid Members

Summer McIntosh there, winning two gold medals at 17. At that same age, my biggest achievement was getting past Mine Cart Carnage.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

Angela Carini has said that she felt she 'had to preserve her life' and has a suspected broken nose.

Maybe she shouldn't participate in a sport where the main thing is getting punched in the face then?