The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Proper Benny Hill music for those two goals. Still, at least they bought another much needed winger rather than competent defenders or somebody that can play in midfield. You just struggle to see where the creativity is in that team. Two superb attacking players but with little service. 

2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

He’ll definitely be a Spurs manager if Arsenal don’t get to him first. A big teams damaged goods, history at Chelsea, won trophies, plays nice football and above all else bottles it on the regular.

Not quite sure the so-called "big hitters" like Mourinho and Conte could have accomplished what he has with Leicester to be honest.

FA Cup win, 5th place finish two seasons in a row? How have Arsenal done the past two seasons? 8th twice and an FA Cup? Spurs? 7th & 6th? 

If Rodgers "bottles it" then what does that say about the Arse and Spurs? More I think about it, Rodge may be better served waiting on a proper big club to come sniffing about instead of entertaining the idea of either London farce outfits.

1 minute ago, David said:

He's knocked back Spurs in the past, hasn't he? Remember when he was asked about the job after Jose got the boot?

I don't think they seriously went after him. They went all in for Conte and then that failed and everyone else had started gearing up for the season so they had to go for Nuno.

Rodgers has hit the ceiling at Leicester. He's overachieved and he should have got CL football at least once the past 2 seasons, but he didn't and its tough to see them competing with the top sides again for a while (players will be off in the summer)

His ego is big and timing is everything. He'll know that he will have to make a move soon, otherwise the reputation of 'bottling' and being a decent manager will stick. If Conte left for any reason, he would want that job. Whether Spurs give it to him or not is another thing entirely.

Rodgers is a top manager. I'd honestly fancy him to do a better job at Arsenal, Spurs, and Man United than any of their current managers. His record with Leicester is really good, and will only be highlighted even more when they tailspin back to mid-table mediocrity after he inevitably leaves. 

His record in Scotland is also top notch. I know it's said that anyone could succeed there (which isn't true) but he's one of the very few who has literally walked the Scottish game. Gerrard certainly didn't and the English media seem to think he's the next Liverpool manager-in-waiting. 

For me, only Klopp, Guardiola and possibly Tuchel are above him in the managerial quality stakes. 

Edit: Oh, and Moyesy. 

Edited by David
Forgot all about Moyesy.

• Moderators

Squires' cartoon on Zouma was absolutely brilliant today. Especially when a panel reminded me of the UKFF village idiot as well. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/feb/15/david-squires-on-kurt-zouma-west-ham?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Edited by PowerButchi