The PFL Thread 💰

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

As sharp as a decline as you'll find. Never mind the fact that so few ever actually retire when they say they will, I can understand why he's coming back. He looks absolutely incredible. You don't look like Marlon if your physical attributes are declining. He's still fast, still powerful. He probably doesn't have great cardio, as we've seen on a few occasions, which probably has a part to play in his durability.

I have no doubt though that when Moraes gets back in the gym each time, that he probably performs well and feels great and can convince himself that he can really turn it around. Despite all that though, in the cage the world has just collapsed out from underneath him. I don't think he could buy a win against BJ fucking Penn at this point. It's all gone wrong for him from the Cejudo fight, and unless he can really figure out why, it's going to continue to do so. 

• Paid Members

It may not even be in his power to fix it. He's been finished via KO/TKO in his last four matches. It could very well be his chin's gone. Arlovski proves that doesn't necessarily have to be the end, but I can't think of anyone else, apart from maybe Manhoef, whom I would give any kind of chance at all with a chin made of biscuits. I hope not - nobody wants a fighter to go out like that unless it's Strickland - but the overall trend isn't in his favour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The PFL have announced its Championship card, it also act as their first PPV. I don't know of that's a wise move, but i love this card:

20220928_145811.thumb.jpg.bb9af9926da4f28c9d0da02e36606987.jpg

20220928_145805.thumb.jpg.3ffc999328ece4541c40bbe3fbef5d84.jpg

6 x 5 round fights on any one night is a bit much for me and it could end up a long ass night, but matchup wise this is great after being invested in the season. Those showcase fights are good too, with 2 to be added.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Shane Burgos is out of the Moraes fight, injured. Moraes now fights another UFC vet. in Sheymon Moraes. Moraes vs. Moraes.

Bit of a hit, that was the standout fight outside of the Championship fights on a great card. 

Fg_vfX1XgAAC6JA.thumb.jpg.4380c202f329b1ec75006ac5121b6b9c.jpg

• Paid Members

it'll be on Channel 4, the DAZN deal doensn't kick in until next year.

My only worry with this card is the length. 6 potential 5 round fights on top of a 6 fight undercard could be disastrous. The title fights could potentially take 5 hours alone if you factor in walkouts, adverts and all that stuff. This'll be done in a few sittings for me.

Regardless, I love the format, i'm proper sold on it now and it's pretty much cemented PFL as my second favorite promotion behind the UFC. There are flaws for sure, but i'm invested in all of those title fights, and some involve fighters I knew nothing about going into the tournament. The undercard alone is a cracking little MMA card in it's own right. 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I think I’ll dip in for this one myself. Definite concerns with there being so many title fights though. As Ebb says, it could be a long old night. It’s backfired a few times in the past as well. I seem to remember a few promotions booking 3 title fights in the past and it seems to nearly always result in the fights all going 5 rounds and being lacklustre for some reason. 6 fights like that would be absolutely rotten.

I’ll give this a go though. Even the prelims look pretty solid for this with ex UFC mainstays like Stephens and Tibau and the battle of Moraes’. Not to mention that salad dodger Aspen Ladd. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeah, the prelims are good. Schulte/Stephen is guaranteed fireworks, I know Stephens has fought fights where guys won't stand and trade but he'll get his wish against Schulte.

Dakota Ditcheva is a 6-0 Brit. who the PFL seems to be wanting to build their European Series around. She has a pretty extensive traditional Martial Arts background, gonna be interesting to follow her run.

Biaggio Ali Walsh in the opener is the Grandson of Muhammad Ali (and brother of Boxer Nico Ali Walsh), the PFL will clearly pump that Ali name out there. I quite like that the PFL have little projects like Walsh and Ditcheva that they are building for the future.