The PFL Thread 💰

Egg Shen

Who do we think his first opponent will be? From looking at the current PFL HW's there is absolutely no one of name value on their roster.

I will make the prediction that his first opponent will be someone currently signed to the UFC or Bellator who will ask to be released once they smell that "Ngannou opponent" money.

• Paid Members

What a surprise. Dana’s made an announcement that there’s gonna be an announcement. In an attempt to overshadow the Ngannou news. But he’s not bothered or anything.

Watch it be Jones vs Stipe. Although it could just as easily be him dropping news of a Michelle Waterson 5 round main event at the Apex the way things are going lately. 

10 hours ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

Who do we think his first opponent will be? From looking at the current PFL HW's there is absolutely no one of name value on their roster.

I will make the prediction that his first opponent will be someone currently signed to the UFC or Bellator who will ask to be released once they smell that "Ngannou opponent" money.

In one news piece I read, it said big Francis is not going to fight until mid 2024! I assume he has some boxing match lined up now that all these negotiations are done. 

Let's be brutally honest, a Francis vs no name on a PFL show will surely bomb badly? It's great that he's going to get paid a huge amount and get his opponent a huge wedge also, but in terms of business it seems like PFL just have an endless pot of cash to burn through. 

• Paid Members

I'm convinced that PFL, BKFC and One are all fronts for some money laundering operation. None of them should be able to run the way they do without Afflictioning themselves by now. Bonkers. 

Well chuffed for Ngannou though. What a guy. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dai said:

Let's be brutally honest, a Francis vs no name on a PFL show will surely bomb badly? It's great that he's going to get paid a huge amount and get his opponent a huge wedge also, but in terms of business it seems like PFL just have an endless pot of cash to burn through. 

I full expect Ngannou to be on a PFL PPV card with Jake Paul so it could do alright. As far as an opponent goes, I think they'll end up bringing someone like a Werdum which is kind of depressing. The actual PFL heavyweight division has a few decent guys but no one with any kind of name value.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

I'm convinced that PFL, BKFC and One are all fronts for some money laundering operation. None of them should be able to run the way they do without Afflictioning themselves by now. Bonkers. 

I really don't get how PFL afford it. There will be others on here more familiar with the numbers, but it strikes me that Bellator is the only promotion that appears to have a model that generates enough cash and publicity that its fighters get paid commensurately - PFL can't possibly generate enough, yet pays its fighters best, and UFC clearly generates several times more than enough, yet refuses to (and even goes out of its way to scupper fighters' sponsorship earnings with their shitty uniform deals).

There's no way BKFC's not some dodgy operation.

I remember reading somewhere (think it was an article someone posted here) that it's sort of the worst-kept secret in MMA that One FC is highly suspect, and the owner's methods are various and nefarious.

2 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Well chuffed for Ngannou though. What a guy. 

Abso-fucking-lutely. Big Fran is the Boy.

• Paid Members

This video is well worth a watch if you’re unfamiliar with the full timeline of this whole Ngannou, UFC, Dana, Jones saga. The guy who made it done his homework and went to some effort here. Probably won’t sway the opinion of anyone on here, I think most on here see the story for what it is and it’s clearly not ‘LOL Francis is scared’ like Dana/Jones are trying to spin it. That bullshit has worked on the UFC/Dana bootlickers but this video is the logical story and is an interesting watch all the same. 

Oh, and here’s our first glimpse of PFL Francis…

IMG_4083.jpeg

IMG_4085.jpeg

IMG_4086.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

The sums don't add up, but the PFL are going all in on trying to make a go of it. Maybe they are hoping that ESPN get fucked off with the amount of money that they'll have to fork out for the UFC in the next go round, that ESPN could use PFL as a bargaining chip against the UFC and that they will come out of it with a nice increase.

Essentially this is a loss leader like streaming. They're banking on the image of having the real world heavyweight champion on their books, as giving them a big bump in perception. 

Luke Thomas is even saying that the PFL is trying to buy Bellator. 

But yeah, get in there Big Francis. Get you a taste of the good stuff. Glad he's got a deal that's giving him money and freedom. Only disappointment of the whole thing is the delay until summer 2024. You would think that means a boxing fight before then, but I thought there were big talks of some kind of double header with Fury/Usyk & Joshua/Wilder? That would kill all his option on that front. That is, assuming either of those two actually take place. 

• Paid Members

the double header thing is rumored for December, i'd be very surprised if it happens though.

Ngannou boxing just feels like a bad idea to me (but obviously not from a financial standpoint). If they have him in abit of a tune-up fight before one of the big names and he looks shit, it kills everything in the boxing world for him. So you're probably better off getting him in with the real top end first and just have him go out in a blaze of glory, sort of a Mayweather/McGregor situation, but i'd imagine he will fight someone else first. Francis is gonna be 18 months out of the ring/cage before he fights next too.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

the double header thing is rumored for December, i'd be very surprised if it happens though.

Ngannou boxing just feels like a bad idea to me (but obviously not from a financial standpoint). If they have him in abit of a tune-up fight before one of the big names and he looks shit, it kills everything in the boxing world for him. So you're probably better off getting him in with the real top end first and just have him go out in a blaze of glory, sort of a Mayweather/McGregor situation, but i'd imagine he will fight someone else first. Francis is gonna be 18 months out of the ring/cage before he fights next too.

And If he doesn't have a boxing fight before the PFL debut will it be 30 months? When was that fight with Gane, January 2022? That's a long ass time without having intentionally retired. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Egg Shen changed the title to The PFL Thread 💰
  • Paid Members

the PFL's ravaged season gets going again tonight on DAZN (I do like the move to Thursday nights). Brendan Loughnane is in the main event:

b35e3c6838f8ca7870b059465551e842.thumb.jpg.12ad213dabc18d400e4dda8d94fbab88.jpg

They've kind of salvaged the season by bringing in new fighters to fill slows, but i'm not sure how they go about scoring the points now some fighters who won their first round fights are not eliminated due to popping for PED use, and guy's who lost to them are still in with zero points. Plus new figthers in the season only get chance to earn points. It's mess, and one of the shit things about the format. Still, the fights should be decent.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

the PFL's ravaged season gets going again tonight on DAZN (I do like the move to Thursday nights). Brendan Loughnane is in the main event:

b35e3c6838f8ca7870b059465551e842.thumb.jpg.12ad213dabc18d400e4dda8d94fbab88.jpg

They've kind of salvaged the season by bringing in new fighters to fill slows, but i'm not sure how they go about scoring the points now some fighters who won their first round fights are not eliminated due to popping for PED use, and guy's who lost to them are still in with zero points. Plus new figthers in the season only get chance to earn points. It's mess, and one of the shit things about the format. Still, the fights should be decent.

Just off the top of my head, I'd deduct all points from the cheats, have their wins overturned to NCs, and to the losers maybe give eliminator matches to afford them the opportunity to earn one of the vacant slots.

It's not particularly elegant or fast, but it might cover up the gaps.