My Best Film: 2020

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's called The Invisible Man. How could you approach that film and not think it was going to be about an invisible man.

When I was about 11 me and a friend went to see a film called The Playboys cos we assumed it would be full of naked chicks like the magazine . We were not impressed when it turned out to be a slow Irish period family drama.

• Paid Members

My favourite film of the year is a tie: The Lighthouse and Portrait of a lady on fire. In a way they almost feel like companion pieces. One is two lonely women isolated on an island and forming a beautiful, heartbreaking love and the other two lonely men isolated on an island forming a relationship based on hate, madness, stupidity, arrogance and homoeroticism. The two films together are like a perfect metaphor for the differences between men and women.

I watched Parasite at the weekend, it's on Prime.

I didn't find it as tough a watch as The Invisible Man, but there must've been some right shite for that to win best Oscar. Rise of Skywalker is better.

I was expecting some mad horror film, but instead got something that I'm not sure if it was a black comedy, drama, or thriller. It didn't really fit any of them.

Spoiler

The family are entirely unlikeable so I was glad when at least one of them got knocked off, although I wanted her to drown when their flat flooded and she would've choked on the exploding toilet. I'm not sure if the film was trying to make you feel bad for the dad, but I just thought he was a massive prick. The young boy was rapey and the mum was cruel, if my mother was like that I'd tell her to fuck off. On the other hand the family that they were leeching off of were really nice, I don't think they ever rubbed their success in the face of the others to the point where that needed to happen.

Maybe there are some social issues going on in Korea that I'm too sheltered to know about.

Edited by stewdogg

15 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm just going to presume he's thick.

😞

I have really enjoyed some films this year, 1917, trial of Chicago 7, Borat 2. Maybe the comment about Rise of Skywalker being better was flippant. I just didn’t enjoy either film and wouldn’t watch it again, for me the purpose of a film is to enjoy it, but then I love the Greatest Showman so Ive probably just got awful (or no) taste. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, stewdogg said:

On the other hand the family that they were leeching off of were really nice, I don't think they ever rubbed their success in the face of the others to the point where that needed to happen. Maybe there are some social issues going on in Korea that I'm too sheltered to know about.

Fucking hell. I mean seriously, fucking hell. 

Are you too sheltered to have never heard of the huge wealth gap between the rich and the poor? The biggest social issue in the entire fucking world? 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

A recommendation for one of the best films of 2020 that's currently on BBC iPlayer - Claire Oakley's Make Up, a superb psychological drama, a good 90 minutes of anyone's time. Well, almost anyone's.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Fucking hell. I mean seriously, fucking hell. 

Are you too sheltered to have never heard of the huge wealth gap between the rich and the poor? The biggest social issue in the entire fucking world? 

Spoiler

Obviously but you still don’t act like cunts. The family were utterly despicable but not in a ‘I can see why they’re like this’ way. They were just horrid. And then the dad gets the arse ache cause he’s broken into their lives like Shearsmith and Pemberton and they moan that he smells a bit. They didn’t call him a smelly old cunt they said he has a weird smell and the next thing he’s fucking Charles Manson. If the smelly old cunt had just stuck to his own life his daughter would still be alive and he wouldn’t be hiding in a hidden bunker. Irrespective of rich or poor they were horrible cunts who all deserved to die not start laughing maniacally which I hope was from brain damage. It’s just shit, the nice family didn’t deserve any of it, maybe that’s the point of the film but it’s fucking nasty and spiteful (the irony after just having wished brain damage on someone)

Edited by stewdogg
Chjhff

Yep. Some of the plot points where clearly stolen from inside number 9. Particularly a quiet night in and the one where he has a woman locked in the basement. Anyway we’re not gonna agree, I thought it was shit, I’m sure others thought it was shit as well and loads of people thought it was great.  It’s just my opinion in a discussion 

Edited by stewdogg
Fucking phone