The Neurosis Thread

Mr_Danger

What’s yours? I’m currently having a mini crisis because I’m worried that if I don’t watch my daughter in her swimming lesson she will think I don’t care but if I do watch her whilst all the other parents have their heads down in phones/tablets it’ll make me look like a nonce!

Also, I gave a courteous wave to a man walking his dog who stopped to let me past in my van yesterday. I’m worried he’s going to think I was taking the piss. The man is blind.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

What’s yours? I’m currently having a mini crisis because I’m worried that if I don’t watch my daughter in her swimming lesson she will think I don’t care but if I do watch her whilst all the other parents have their heads down in phones/tablets it’ll make me look like a nonce!

Also, I gave a courteous wave to a man walking his dog who stopped to let me past in my van yesterday. I’m worried he’s going to think I was taking the piss. The man is blind.

Top one I really wouldn't give a shit about, you are being a great parent by showing interest.

Second one, I dont think the dog thinks you are taking the piss, I'm sure he's probably thankful of your politeness.

18 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

if I do watch her whilst all the other parents have their heads down in phones/tablets it’ll make me look like a nonce!

I hate the parents that do that. I know it gets boring watching them doing the same things every week, but it breaks my heart to think if my son were to have looked up and seen me looking at my phone rather him swimming, they're the ones who should be worried that their kids might notice them not giving a fuck.

are you worried the dog thinks you're taking the piss?  All dogs (apart from the office dog - yeah we've got an office dog, what of it) bark at me when I walk past, maybe they think I'm taking the piss... 

Edited by Harry Wiseau
Bloody typo

5 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Why would the blind man think you’re taking the piss by waving at him? He wouldn’t have seen you wave.

Yes, I know that, you know that, my brain on the other hand can think of 600 highly unlikely scenarios where the guy will somehow know that I waved and think I was being a twat and if it can’t think of any ways where that is possible it’ll just assume there is a way.

• Paid Members

Seems like the appropriate thread for this. I've never managed to figure out the right balance between taking care of my physical health and being a raging hypochondriac, especially with the aches and pains of old wrestling injuries. I'll mention things to people and I'm completely clueless whether the reaction I'm going to get is "yeah, that's normal" or "why the fuck haven't you gone to a doctor for that yet?!", yet I've seemingly got several dozen of those complaints that it'd take me 2 lifetimes of going back for forth with a GP to have them all addressed one at a time. 

• Paid Members

I have an utterly unexplainable terror about the Bolton Strid. There's been many nights I havent been able to sleep as I get anxious and scared.

For those that dont know, its a bit of a river (arguably the most dangerous bit of river in the world). Nowhere near where I live. Where I'm never likely to go, even by accident. There's no reason for me to be so worked up by it.

Fully aware I’m UKFFing this back to familiar territory. One I used to have was buying big packs of bogroll. I’d only buy it in packs of four because I was convinced if I bought a big pack, the till assistant would be like “Haha look at Mr Shittyarse with his loads of bogroll”. I even kept a log (oh ho) of who served me and when, so that I could avoid them if I’d bought bogroll from them recently. This only ended when I saw a tweet saying “lol at these people who buy small packs of toilet roll, as if you aren’t going to shit for the rest of your life”. 

• Paid Members

I count things. Stupid things. Like when I’m chopping vegetables I’ll find myself counting the chops and then I’ll have to do “43, 27, 19” until I lose my place and finish chopping. I count footsteps and have to do the same thing when I notice - sometimes I don’t know how long I’ve been doing it too.

I was going to write that I’m not sure this is actually neurotic behaviour so I Googled. I came across this page - https://theawarenesscentre.com/are-you-neurotic/ - and I tick every box under ‘Some signs of being neurotic’. The phrase, “neurotics keep making problems for themselves and don’t quite have the tools to untangle themselves from those problems. They’re functioning well, but life isn’t as smooth or as joyful as they’d like it to be” perfectly sums up where I am right now too. Well, damn.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yes, I know that, you know that, my brain on the other hand can think of 600 highly unlikely scenarios where the guy will somehow know that I waved and think I was being a twat and if it can’t think of any ways where that is possible it’ll just assume there is a way.

He might be pretending to be blind, specifically to catch out lowlifes who do weird things when they think blind people aren't looking like pretending to wave.

• Paid Members
On 12/15/2020 at 5:29 PM, Mr_Danger said:

A few years back I cancelled my gym membership because they changed the layout and put the treadmills right infront of a massive window which overlooked the pool, and the only time I could get there was 5-7pm which coincided with junior swimming lessons. I was convinced that either the staff or a parent would notice I'm always on the treadmill the same time as those lessons and think I was a nonce.