Joshua vs Pulev - Dec 12 🥊

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Right then. This probably deserves its own thread, doesn’t it? I think anytime a Joshua or Fury fight it’s beyond the general Fight Night thread.

E6-C7209-D-1870-41-F7-B2-C8-1725-BFED72-

Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev - WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO Heavyweight Titles

Lawrence Okolie vs Nikodem Jezewski

Hughie Fury vs Mariusz Wach

Martin Bakole vs Sergey Kuzmin - Vacant WBC International Heavyweight Title 

Qais Ashfaq vs Ashley Lane

Florian Marku vs Jamie Stewart 

Kieron Conway vs Macauley McGowan 

That’s the card. Not bad. Hopefully Okolie doesn’t suck the life out of this one. Bakole vs Kuzmin should be entertaining and Florian Marku is getting some buzz around him. He’s an Albanian Welterweight, 7-0 with 5 knockouts so far. This is his debut under Matchroom. 

This is the big one though, of course...

8-B98985-B-9786-454-B-AF39-3-B7-F583-E2-

Unless I’m mistaken, I think this is the third time these two have been scheduled to square off. The first attempt was in 2017 and was set to take place in Cardiff. But Pulev ended up pulling out injured and AJ fought Carlos Takam instead. Then they were supposed to fight in June this year at Spurs Stadium in London. But Boxing got cancelled for a bit due to this thing called COVID so that obviously pushed it back. And here we are.

I’d expect Joshua to win this. But then again, I expected him to beat Ruiz comfortably in their first fight as well. Pulev is no bum. He’s 28-1 as a pro (on top of an extensive amateur career), with the only loss being to Wladimir Klitschko back in 2014. He’s got wins over Derek Chisora, Hughie Fury, Kevin Johnson, among others. But he’s 39 years old now. He’s got skills and he could potentially be a bit tricky but AJ really should be winning this at this stage.

And if he does beat Pulev...

image.thumb.jpeg.b505b3b39aa7ed5d38ad68faf16e25b1.jpeg

Does it finally happen in 2021? Joshua vs Fury for all the gold? I don’t want to get sucked into this again but...does it? There’s been some talk that Tyson Fury is going to be there on Saturday night. Would make sense seeing as Hughie is on the card as well. Hearn is saying all the right things but we’ve been down this road before. I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Apparently there’s going to be 1,000 fans in attendance for this as well. 

Bit of viewing info...

• It’s on Sky Box Office for £24.95.

• Undercard starts at 7pm.

• Main event is expected to start sometime between 10pm and 11pm.

893E8ABB-3A2A-44EA-A98C-B1E3694D8DD3.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Lawrence Okolie and Hughie Fury are absolute fun sponges as fighters. That undercard may seem like it goes on for ever. 

I think AJ might do the same sort of safety dance around Pulev that he did around Ruiz second time around just to get past this to get to Tyson Fury. 

No way Hearn beats Warren, unless he brings bigger firepower than a Luger. 

Spoiler

Ignore the spoiler tag 🤷‍♂️.

An absolutely terrible interview from Kugan, probably his worst, well they're all the same when you think about it. But worth watching for the Joshuas opening, very funny, for people who watch IFL anyway. Even Eddie (of camera) gets a dig in on thin skinned Kugan near the end.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members

Pulev's a madman. 

Im expecting a much harder nights work for AJ than most. The whole feeling leading up is that this is AJ's easiest fight in years, i aint so sure. Pulev is solid, has decent skills and isnt as ancient a heavyweight at 39 that most people seem to think.

The weird environment could play a factor considering AJ has fought the majority of his career in front of arenas and stadiums full of screaming fans, plus AJ still has ghosts of that first Ruiz fight looming. The rematch ticked boxes but it was so one sided and easy going im still interested to see how AJ reacts to abit of a crisis. 

Im looking forward to it.

That undercard could be good but it also has the potential to be a hell of a slog. Back to back Fury/Okolie fights could be rough. 

Pulev is an accomplished amateur fighter. But the only time he's stepped up in the pro ranks against Klitschko, he laid it on too thick and got battered. When I think of Pulev, I see him as a world title contender, so in almost 30 fights, it's surprising, he's only had one shot a world title. He's had a few bouts of bad luck, he was supposed to fight Joshua in 2017 and got injured & Dillian Whyte pulled out of a fight in 2018 so he fought Hughie Fury instead. He may be seen as a risky opponent and people prefer easier mandatorys.

This fight has been a long time coming for Pulev, so will be interesting to see how he plays it. Usually he likes to stick to the jab but with a bigger reach, AJ could just out-jab him. Also have to see how he reacts once he feels Joshua's power.

• Paid Members

well, that really went as good as it could have for AJ.

It wasn't the blowout some were expecting, AJ got a brutal KO but came through a couple of sticky patches and it ended up being pretty exciting. It helped that Pulev seems abit of a maniac, and him laughing his way through it made for some good theater. Good stuff.

Everything seems perfectly lined up for AJ/Fury in 2021, funny how things work out.

Hughie Fury in a decent slopfest and Okolie looking clean and destructive too, who saw that coming?

Loved having fans in there too, made a huge difference.