Joshua vs Pulev - Dec 12 🥊

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Pulev made it an interesting fight, took some big shots and kept smiling through until Joshua put him away. The one worry would be that after his attack in round 3 Joshua looked like he needed 2 rounds to recover. 

Okolie looked brutal,  Shane McGuigan has had a positive influence on him already. The way his opponent went down looked like the punches completely scrambled him. The rest of the undercard was what it was. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The one worry would be that after his attack in round 3 Joshua looked like he needed 2 rounds to recover.

He did. Joshua's done that a couple of times. In the Whyte fight he emptied the jug early and spent several rounds doing nothing afterwards. Did the same against Klitschko too, but people tend to forget about it happening because both fights were finished emphatically.

If he does that against Fury he's toast. Joshua's a good finisher but if he doesnt close the show he'll be in trouble. To Joshua's credit he recovers and closes strong but he takes rounds off and Fury will likely make Joshua even more tired when he's doing that given his size and ability to lean all over people.

I've said this a few times but i'm not a fan of boxing however i watched the Tyson fight last week and i actually really fucking like AJ he comes across as such a genuine guy on stuff like a league of their own and whatnot so i watched this main event purely for the only fact i like AJ. 

There is so much about boxing i don't understand or irritates me but what really confused me about this fight is just how it went and panned out. 
So in the first round they were both feeling each other out and just abit hesitant to get stuck in and throw anything but i sort of understand that.
However AJ really came into his own and got good rhythm and knocked him down twice in the space of a minute before the bell went so i was all ready for the 4th round where i was convinced the bell would ring and AJ would just finish the job.......But that's not what happened. He went from looking really strong and confident to going back in his shell and not having any of that momentum or confidence he built up and had at the end of the 3rd. 

From there it just seemed like neither man really was looking for the victory and apart from the funny exchange that happened in one of the rounds where the ref pulled them apart from the clinch and AJ called him a pussy quite loudly and clearly it didn't get going again till that 9th round where by that point in my opinion Pulev looked fucked and just couldn't find anything really that was doing much damage to Joshua and got knocked down again for the last time and put out of his misery.

Like i've said a few times i'm far from a fan of this sport and some of the things i don't understand or whatever could just be down to my lack of knowledge about the sport as a whole but as it's been said above if the next fight for AJ is going to be the Tyson Fury fight which is one i really am wanting to see as i love Tyson. If that fight finally gets made then i don't see it being a good night in the office for AJ.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

But that's not what happened. He went from looking really strong and confident to going back in his shell and not having any of that momentum or confidence he built up and had at the end of the 3rd. 

From there it just seemed like neither man really was looking for the victory and apart from the funny exchange that happened in one of the rounds where the ref pulled them apart from the clinch and AJ called him a pussy quite loudly and clearly it didn't get going again till that 9th round where by that point in my opinion Pulev looked fucked and just couldn't find anything really that was doing much damage to Joshua and got knocked down again for the last time and put out of his misery.

Simply a case of conserving energy. Its easy to sit there and say 'why isnt he finishing him off?' but if AJ put his foot on the gas again in round 4 and Pulev survived he'd be in world of shit, the fight hadn't even reached the half way stage at that point.

The middle rounds were AJ trying to recharge his batteries whilst staying as safe as possible.

"the ring is the loneliest place in the world when you are tired" is how the saying goes.

Edited by Egg Shen

25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Simply a case of conserving energy. Its easy to sit there and say 'why isnt he finishing him off?' but if AJ put his foot on the gas again in round 4 and Pulev survived he'd be in world of shit, the fight hadn't even reached the half way stage at that point.

The middle rounds were AJ trying to recharge his batteries whilst staying as safe as possible.

"the ring is the loneliest place in the world when you are tired" is how the saying goes.

You know what that is a very fair point and i totally understand that it just seems so weird and kinda night and day when you have just finished up watching the UFC PPV. I watched this straight after watching that so it did just feel a little stop start in comparison but it's going to isn't it so i completely hold my hands up and accept they are different sports with different ideologies and styles.

27 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

i completely hold my hands up and accept they are different sports with different ideologies and styles.

That’s the best approach to take. When MMA started gaining traction, many boxing fans were put off by the grappling and wondered why they didn’t stay on their feet. They are different sports, different disciplines and different rules. When boxing started, it was known as “The manly art of self defence”. KOs grab the headlines but there is a skill in fighting to avoid defeat. 

Saw absolutely nothing last night to suggest that Fury won't get the stoppage win within 5 rounds if he fights AJ. Styles make fights, and AJ is perfect for Tyson Fury.

EDIT: I should also add, if and when Fury wins that fight I'll be extremely interested in an AJ/Wilder bout. I could see that being a real barn-burner.

Edited by David

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I'd heavily favour Fury right now. The vunerability of both guys make it an exciting fight though, lets hope it happens. 

Vulnerability of both guys? I don't think Fury is all that vulnerable at all to be honest. He go caught by a shot from a knockout artist who's put away 41 of his 42 wins via KO. 

At the top of his game, which is seems to be now, he's going to box absolute rings around Joshua. And if a solid flush shot from Wilder can't put him away, then Joshua isn't going to either. 

The more competitive fight is Wilder vs AJ I think. Fury at the moment is streets ahead of both.

Fury is slightly vulnerable to people who have no respect for his boxing skills and just put it on him. I know it is going back a while but McDermott, Chisora 1, Wallin. I think thats why he was or his camp where slightly aphrenrsive for the Whyte fight.

Saying that, i agree that Fury beats Joshua, similar to the Wilder stoppage, AJ stopped on his feet. 

Wilder v Joshua would be great. 

How does DAZN uk work? Is it just a case of downloading an app on your phone and away you go?   

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Vulnerability of both guys? I don't think Fury is all that vulnerable at all to be honest. He go caught by a shot from a knockout artist who's put away 41 of his 42 wins via KO. 

Well Fury has found himself in some wars over the course of his career, he's been on the deck 4 times off the top of my head too. No questioning his resolve and toughness, but to dismiss AJ's chances of stopping Fury purely because Wilder couldn't is wrong,  it doesn't work like that. Wilder may be the bigger puncher but AJ absolutely has the power to stop any man on the planet with the right shot including Fury.

I still favour Fury to win the fight. How, im not sure? he could skip around and throw out the left hand and and breeze to a boring decision, id also fancy him to beat AJ if it got abit ugly, but i wouldnt completey dismiss Joshua's chances with his power and especially that uppercut he's developed. 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Mr Lawrence said:

How does DAZN uk work? Is it just a case of downloading an app on your phone and away you go?   

yeh, i got the app on my Firestick. It's abit bare bones in terms of content but the upcoming fights are well worth the 2 quid.

Word of warning though, im not sure how it'll be next weekend but the app seems quite spoiler heavy so you have to navigate around it carefully. I know the app launched like a day later than the fight but if you clicked onto the DAZN app on the monday it launched you were smacked in the face by the news that Danny Jacobs had won on DAZN the night before. Bit shit.

I thought Joshua looked good, Pulev done well to continue after the beating he took in the third round, Joshua took few rounds off it seemed, but those uppercut he was throwing were menacing and good way for him to finish it off.

I get the feeling I'm the only one hoping to see Joshua vs Usyk and Fury vs Wilder 3 next.