Joshua vs Pulev - Dec 12 🥊

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Well Fury has found himself in some wars over the course of his career, he's been on the deck 4 times off the top of my head too.

Oh, come on. He was down twice against Wilder, but when before that? Wasn't it Steve Cunningham who dropped him last before the Wilder fight? In 2013? Almost seven years ago? I don't see Fury as being vulnerable at all. In fact, he's probably the most elusive heavyweight we've seen in decades.

Anthony Joshua has hit the deck four times in one fight! And he's notoriously easy to hit. We've seen him rocked and hit by various opponents over the years.

No questioning his resolve and toughness, but to dismiss AJ's chances of stopping Fury purely because Wilder couldn't is wrong,  it doesn't work like that. Wilder may be the bigger puncher but AJ absolutely has the power to stop any man on the planet with the right shot including Fury.

I'm not dismissing AJ's chances "purely" on Wilder not being able to stop him. I'm dismissing AJ's chances based on the fact that Fury is better is virtually every aspect of the game. He's absolutely the better boxer, he's more mobile, he's quicker, he's taller, he has a longer reach, and unlike AJ he doesn't seem prone to panicking under pressure.

What the Wilder fight showed is that Fury has what Joshua doesn't. Resolve. Joshua crumbled in that first Ruiz fight.

Of course AJ has a punchers chance, but that goes for any fighter in any boxing match. Joshua is a good heavyweight, but he's nowhere near the level of Fury regardless of what the Sky hype machine would have us believe.

Short of him landing some freak shot Fury is going to absolutely school him. 

I still favour Fury to win the fight. How, im not sure? he could skip around and throw out the left hand and and breeze to a boring decision, id also fancy him to beat AJ if it got abit ugly, but i wouldnt completey dismiss Joshua's chances with his power and especially that uppercut he's developed. 

Look at it this way, if you and me know about this uppercut that Joshua has developed, do you not think Fury is in the know as well? The guy is a big chump but he's the equivalent of rainman when it comes to boxing.

Joshua has one way of potentially winning. potentially. And if he does even land that uppercut flush there's every chance Fury either plays it smart and recovers on the feet, or he gets up and comes back at him. And we all know how Joshua tends to react when fighters recover and come back at him.

I see the fight going the way of the second Wilder fight. Fury is only ever so slightly dodgy when he's in there with someone he should be beating easily. He was motivated against Wilder, and he'll be motived here. He's almost unstoppable when he's in that frame of mind.

• Paid Members

I dont disagree with alot said there, and as stated before i'd pick Fury to win. Outside of that night he danced around a gun-shy Wladamir Klitschko, is Fury really that elusive though? genuine question. (granted it was likely Fury's performance/headgames that lead to Wladamir's weird performance). 

Calling Fury the Rain Man of boxing is a bit much for me 😄

Edited by Egg Shen

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Outside of that night he danced around a gun-shy Wladamir Klitschko, is Fury really that elusive though? genuine question. (granted it was likely Fury's performance/headgames that lead to Wladamir's weird performance). 

I think Fury's movement would have always given Wladamir problems, head games or not. 

4 hours ago, David said:

Wasn't it Steve Cunningham who dropped him last before the Wilder fight? In 2013? Almost seven years ago? 

Yes. 

Fury had issues outboxing Cunningham, so decided to try and walk him down. He got greedy in one exchange and was caught for his troubles.

Fury considers Cunningham to be his toughest fight to date:

"Believe it or not, this is going to sound strange, Cunningham was the hardest fight I ever did have in my whole career, amateur or professional. The reason being he was very slippery, I couldn’t pin him down. He was light on his feet, weighing 208lbs, he was a cruiserweight champion and he stepped up into heavyweights. He was a slick, talented boxer and I tried to walk him down, use my size and power, but he was just outboxing me What I’m good at – boxing, moving, slipping and sliding – I couldn’t do against Steve Cunningham because he was quicker than me. It was like he was a better boxer all round than me, and he’d knocked me over even though he was a light puncher.''

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

That's the thing with undefeated fighters, isn't it? We saw the same with Nurmagomedov. The only thing anyone can ever do as regards future opponents is speculate as to whether or not their style might cause the respective fighter problems, because, until that fighter is beaten, there is no proven route, and everyone, including the opponent themself, is really just guessing as to what they can do to win.

I think David's points are largely valid, but the bit that really nailed it for me was the bit about Fury showing tremendous heart getting knocked down, and AJ wilting against Ruiz.

The only caveat I would add to that point is that that was AJ's first and only taste of defeat thus far. How a fighter responds to the first loss is the telling thing, and so far he's not doing badly. Prior to Ruiz, he hadn't had to answer any real questions asked of his resolve, and perhaps, now that he's had to swallow the bitter pill of that first L, he might in future find it within himself to dig deeper than he has been able to previously. Obviously, this is an intangible and nebulous thing, so the only person who knows right now if he has that or not is him.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Prior to Ruiz, he hadn't had to answer any real questions asked of his resolve

Well Klitchsko had AJ on the deck, and Whyte wobbled AJ badly and he came back to knock out both men out. In those fights though they allowed AJ time to recover after hurting him. If Fury hurts AJ id imagine he'd finish him.

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I dont disagree with alot said there, and as stated before i'd pick Fury to win. Outside of that night he danced around a gun-shy Wladamir Klitschko, is Fury really that elusive though? genuine question. (granted it was likely Fury's performance/headgames that lead to Wladamir's weird performance).

Well, he's not Floyd Mayweather, but for a heavyweight? I'd say he's very elusive, has great footwork and is incredibly light on his feet for a man who stands 6'9 and weighed 19.5 stone in his last fight.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the bout with Klitschko? It's easy to dismiss it all now, but back in 2015 when Fury went to Germany not many gave him a hope in hell of doing anything.

This was the Wladimir who had been undefeated in over ten years, was on a 22 fight winning streak with 15 stoppages. Facing him in Germany was like rocking up to Soviet Moscow to face big Ivan.

And what happened?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

He schooled him. Go back and watch the fight. Anyone who says Fury danced around and did fuck all for the duration isn't remembering it right. He did plenty, but most of all he made a seemingly unbeatable champion look like a joke.

Oh, and Joshua's uppercut? Listen, if Fury can take the best uppercut in the business and keep on going, he'll take whatever Joshua throws at him no bother...

spacer.png

I don't think Fury beats AJ the same way he beat Wilder. AJ is a superior boxer to Wilder but Fury is the best natural boxer in the world and would very likely convicingly beat AJ on points. AJ only beats Fury if he properly rocks him early. 

I want to see Fury attempt  to walk Joshua down like he did in the second fight against Wilder. I'm not sure with the size of Joshua   he can do it or would even try to go down that route. I've always felt like Joshua would get to Fury and stop him at some point, but thats the beauty of the heavyweight division right now, different styles mash up well and hopefully we can get a lot of good fights from it, even if means someone losing to one guy and going on to beat another, whilst he loses to someone else.

I don't think he'll come in and try to walk him down right away. I believe that approach was more based on the fact he'd boxed him already and felt he was capable of doing it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he takes an approach of looking to outbox AJ early before capitalising later in the fight to get the stoppage.